Sunday, 15 July 2012

First Christmas Card - Gatefold card

Hi everyone,  this is my first posting over at She's a Sassy Lady as a member of the design team.  I hope you will like the card that I have made for you today.

I decided to get a start on my Christmas cards and was trying to think a little out of the box.  This is a gate fold card with a window.  Here is how it can be designed in Cricut Craft Room.


I used the George and Basic shapes cartridge, the rectangle is sized at 5.5" wide by 8.5" height.
The circles are sized at 2.5".  (Your card base will end up being 4.25" by 5.5"). You could use any symmetrical shape, but I think 2.5" is probably the biggest you want to make it. 

I found it easier to place the rectangle centred as it then makes it easier to place the circles centrally at either end. Do not weld the circles as you want to finish with a rectangle that has half circles cut out of each end as below.


You will need to score the card at 2 1/8" and 6 3/8" , I have shown this on white card above (doesn't it look like a football field LOL). 

Here is my card base, with the edges embossed using my Cuttlebug and the folder Snow Flakes.


You will notice I have also put in 4 eyelets one on each edge of the card above and below the window.  You will see what these are for in a moment.

Here are the elements I am adding to the inside of my card.  


The holly paper layer is cut at 4" by 5.25".

The scollop circles (Art Philosophy Cartridge page 41, Circle 3) were cut at 2.5" and 2.25" and embossed with the Snow Flakes folder.  The stocking was cut at 1.75" (Art Philosophy page 67).  

I layered the first scallop flat to the inside layer and then used pop dots for the second scallop and the stocking to add depth.

Here's the inside of my card.


To finish of I tied some sparkly ribbon to tie the gates together.  And there you go - one Christmas card complete.


 And to the side a little.


So there you are - I have finally made a start on my Christmas cards for this year - do you think I'm mad?!

I am entering this card in the following challenges

Go Fish Challenge #21 - Christmas in July

DL ART Thankful Thursday Challenge - Christmas

Creative Inspiration Paint - Inspired by: Christmas in July

Dream Valley Challenges - Anything but Square (closes Sat 21/7)

Make it Monday - #98 linky party

Happy Crafting everyone.

52 comments:

  1. This is beautiful. Love the embossing on pearlascent paper!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Karon! Another job WELL done! This is beautiful! I feel bad that I don't always make it over here with every post - but please know that all of your projects are lovely and I would be oh so lucky to be on the receiving end of them. Keep up the great work!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Ian - I do appreciate the time you take to visit and leave such lovely comments.

      Delete
  3. Lovely card Karon. Art Philosophy is one of my favorite cartridges! Thanks for playing along with us at Go Fish!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love how your card turned out. Beautiful job on the embossing too. Thank you for joining us over at GoFish! Challenge.

    Hugs,
    Kate

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is beautiful Karon I love how you've designed the gatefol with a cicular aperture, Congratulations on your new DT position!
    Julie x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Julie - you can use any symmetrical shape:-)

      Delete
  6. Gorgeous card!!! The fold is fabulous and the entire design rocks!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. WOW, thanks Pryn. What a lovely comment. TFL

      Delete
  7. your card is so pretty. I just love the color and the embossing. Your card is so elegant and the stocking is just the cutest.
    Thank you for joining my DL.ART Thankful Thursday Christmas in July challenge.
    DIANA L.
    http://dianamlarson.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Diana - I appreciate you stopping by and taking the time to comment.

      Delete
  8. Great card, I love the fun fold to this one, and the colours.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Another great card and tutorial. Thank you for sharing!!

    Susie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Susie - appreciate the comment.

      Delete
  10. Pretty gatefold card! I saw your card at MIM!
    Shirl~

    ReplyDelete
  11. You are so clever, Karon! This is such a cool card-- I think you have inspired me to try this shape-- love the peek-a-boo center!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much for leaving such a lovely comment.

      Delete
  12. Great card Karon...Love it!!!
    What a great first design team post too :)
    Welcome to the DT
    Huge hugs
    Adele

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Adele - I really appreciate the support and lovely comment.

      Delete
  13. oh Karon, this is gorgeous!! the embossing is beautiful on this design!!
    hugs

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. WOW Maria - thanks for the lovely comment.

      Delete
  14. Adorable card- I love the embossing and the cut out! Thanks for playing at Go Fish Challenges! :)Amy

    ReplyDelete
  15. How neat! I love the gate fold and the rich colors. Great job and thanks for playing at the Go Fish Challenge!

    ReplyDelete
  16. No not mad, well organised! It's lovely Karon, gatefold is a nice change as well. I'm midst washing (waist high ha ha) so having a coffee break. Can't see a crafting slot today boo hoo but getting sorted has to take first place.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks P, is that you back from hols? Hope you had a relaxing time, albeit a bit wet:-( Hugs

      Delete
  17. Hello. I popped by from MIM to see this beautiful card..Loz

    ReplyDelete
  18. Hi there! Saw you on MIM. WOWZERS! Just wanted to let you know I have blog candy if you're interested. :)
    My Blog Candy

    ReplyDelete
  19. Fantastic texture! I saw your link at MIM. I'm #82 this week, I'd love it if you stopped by.

    Cheers,
    Kasey ~ in Oz

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Kasey - thanks so much for visiting. and I popped in:-)

      Delete
  20. Beautiful card. Thank you so much for joining the Creative Inspirations Paint challenge.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much for popping in.

      Delete
  21. hi Karon... saw your card in MIm... wow... love it... very elegant and pretty cool pattern... love the way you filled in the detailing work...:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much for commenting:-)

      Delete
  22. I saw your beautiful creation on Make It Monday and had to come visit and take a closer look. Gorgeous! TFS! My entries are: #89, #90, #91, #151, #154, #155, #173, #254 and #255.
    I would love to have you visit my blog!
    Hugs,
    Julia

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for popping in today, I went and visited too your cards are lovely.

      Delete
  23. This is such a gorgeous card for Christmas. Love the beautiful embossed background. Your tutorial is great! Thank you so much for joining us at Make It Monday this week... :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for taking the time to come and visit.

      Delete
  24. Beautiful card. Wonderful idea to add the window to a gatefold card. Thanks for sharing your art in the Creative Inspirations Paints blog challenge.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks - I appreciate the lovely comment.

      Delete
  25. I saw your card at MIM and loved it, what a gorgeous card. Good luck in the challenge. JOx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much for visiting today.

      Delete

I would like to thank you for stopping by my blog today. All your comments are really appreciated. Happy crafting everyone and have a great day.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...