Monday, 9 July 2012

Something Different #1

Hi everyone, I'm finally starting my new series.  This is going to be "Something Different".  I decided to have a go at some different and unusual card folds that I have not come across yet or infrequently.

I am starting off with a reasonably straight forward one - and they will get a little harder as we go along.

I unfortunately have had to make a sympathy card for a friend, and decided that this first card would be quite appropriate as its not too over the top.

So without further ado we are going to make an Accordion Card.

I have seen several instructions but was not happy with where the folds were placed and how big the card was.  I wanted to make a card that would end up being a standard 6" by 4" card when finished.

Firstly you are going to need a 6" by 12" piece of card stock (so you can make two card bases with one 12" by 12" card stock).  This is going to be scored at the 1.5", 3", 5.5" and 8" marks.


Starting at the end of the first 1.5" score mark, you will do a mountain fold, then valley fold, mountain fold and finally valley fold.  This is basically your card base.



Now you can decorate it however you wish.

Here is the one I made up this morning.


For the flower I used the Bloom cartridge and the flower 9 shadow.  Layered and inked.

For the layers of the sentiments, I used the Art Philosophy cartridge, Rectangle 8 (page 65), sized at 3" by 1" for the first sentiment, and for the second sentiment it was sized at 3" by 2.25".

The sentiment was printed using Microsoft Word and came from this fantastic website The Quote Garden .
If you are ever stuck for a sentiment for any type of occasion, I highly recommend this free site.

I hope you have enjoyed this tutorial and card, and that you will stay tuned for the next one.

I am entering this card in the following challenges

Make it Monday #97 - Papercraft (closes Sun 15/7)

Dream Valley Challenges #36 - Anything BUT Square (Sat closes 21/7)

Thanks for stopping by today.

Happy crafting.

42 comments:

  1. You've reminded me how good an accordion card can look, I've not made one in a while so thanks! This is a very pretty card but still just right for a sympathy card which is one of the hardest to make.
    Good weather until this afternoon, walking through streets more like streams than pavements! Yuk.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi P, thanks for the lovely comment - I hadn't come across one of these before. So its a start:-)

      Blooming rain - spoiling your holiday. Just enjoy the time away:-)

      Delete
  2. What an interesting card fold this is. I have never tried one. I love it and the great card you made with the awsome paper choice. Great sympathy card. TFS

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sheila, appreciate you dropping in:-)

      Delete
  3. Very pretty. Will have to try this folding technique. TFS

    Nana

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Nana - thanks its an easy one:-)

      Delete
  4. This is just lovely!!! Beautiful sentiment! Thank you so much for joining us at MIM this week! Don't forget to leave a comment for another entry and mention you saw them on MIM for a chance at our second prize! Good luck,
    Rene :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Rene - there are some awesome cards at MIM this week - have been to see quite a few other blogs too. TFL

      Delete
  5. I've never seen this fold either, Karon. It's a beautiful card. Perfect for a sympathy card.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Stephanie - glad I wasn't the only one:-)

      Delete
  6. Great job making the dimensions work for you! I love a variety of folds even though I use the typical rectangle.

    Stay Creative,
    Georgiana
    Carson's Creations

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Georgiana - thanks for taking the time and leaving a comment - appreciate it.

      Delete
  7. I wouldn't worry about not making videos (I know you apologized on the Cricut forum). The instructions are so easy and clearly outlined I know I don't need a video. Sometimes, the quick and easy post is more inspiring that a video. Keep up the good work.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi there - thanks so much. I don't own a video camera and wouldn't know how to get the right angles etc - that would be a whole new learning curve! Glad the instructions were OK - hope I can keep up with that on the next ones:-) TFL

      Delete
  8. A Lovely card. A very interesting fold, thank you for the tutorial. Will definately have to try it. I like the sentiment

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping by and leaving a comment - hope you have a go.

      Delete
  9. Such a beautiful card and a fab tutorial. Love the colours and backing paper. I saw you on MIM too, thank you for the lovely comment you left me!
    Lorraine x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for leaving such a great comment.

      Delete
  10. This card is beautiful., I made two of them today.
    Thank You
    Doreenfrom PA

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Doreen would love to see your creations - do you have a blog?

      Delete
  11. Lovely concept -- this fold style is really cool!

    Beautiful sentiment and lovey card!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Nadia, appreciate the visit and the lovely compliment.

      Delete
  12. Such a beautiful card for such a sad occasion. Great design!
    I'm back from vacation happy to be catching up!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Carri - glad to see you had a fab trip and what an achievement.

      Delete
  13. Hello. I saw this fabulous card when I dropped by from MIM..Faye

    ReplyDelete
  14. Wow!! This is awesome!! I may just have to try something like this!! Thanks for sharing!

    Cheers!
    Kelli

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kelli - hope you do would love to see your card:-)

      Delete
  15. Hi. Just dropping by from Make-it-Monday to see your beautiful and unusual card..loz

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awe shucks :-) Thanks for the lovely comment and for visiting me today.

      Delete
  16. Very nice card! I too like getting sentiments from The Quote Garden.


    www.inmycraftroom.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much for stopping by today and becoming my newest follower:-)

      Delete
  17. Gorgeous card.I have to try some of this type of folds for my cards.Beautiful Designer paper and embellishments.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Absolutely in love with your project! Thanks for sharing!
    I saw this on Make it Monday!
    These are my entries: #77, #163, #183, and #258 and would love it if you could visit.
    Hugs,
    Julia

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the lovely comment - I'll be off to see yours then:-) TFL

      Delete
  19. Great card. Love to see something different. Very nice. Thanks for joining us at Dream Valley challenges. Hugs Eva.xx

    ReplyDelete

I would like to thank you for stopping by my blog today. All your comments are really appreciated. Happy crafting everyone and have a great day.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...