Sunday, 29 July 2012

Something Different #6

Hello there.  I'm going to take one step back and give you a relatively easy one this time.  Its called a Squash fold card.

Now this can be made any size you would like, as long as you start off with a square.

My finished card base is going to end up being 5" by 5", and therefore I need to start with a piece of card stock that is 10" by 10".  So basically what ever your card stock is to start with, your final card will be half the size. An 8" by 8" card stock will give you a 4" by 4" card and so on.

You could just do the folds for this card by folding the paper on its own, I like to use my score board because I want nice crisp folds.  Honestly - I'm rubbish at just folding the paper and can never get it exactly in half, or the edges meeting nicely :-)

So you score as follows; or fold, if your brave :-) Fold in half, turn, fold in half again and the fold diagonally in half.


Now time to fold, make nice crisp folds with your bone folder.

Now you need to push the triangle folds inwards - they will start to give and as you do that you will see how the card folds closed.


And as you pull the points of the triangles together, your card closes.


Your card closed.


I hope you can see how this came together, now its time to decorate a Squash fold card.

Here is the card I made today.  First the inside, which I stamped with a snowflake and Merry Christmas, they are both from a Recollections Stamp set.  (I thought that perhaps you could actually put a nice family photo on one of the inside squares).


And here is my finished card.



There isn't much Cricut, but I did use the Art Philosophy cartridge for the first layers on the front of the card.  Square 5, page 63 and they were cut at 4.5" and 4".

The layer with the elf is cut at 3.5" and I used my corner punch to finish it off (now I'm looking at it and I could have inked the edges.  Oh well next time).  I placed a little bit of Christmas wool on his hat to finish him off.

The image of the elf is from Angelique's blog Sliekje digi Stamps.  Angelique has the most awesome blog and all her digi images are free.

This is my first time I have ventured into the colouring of digi images and actually use it on a card.  I don't own Copics (and probably never will, as they are so expensive), so this was coloured using just standard colouring pencils and using the Gamsol method - I actually used odourless paint thinner from Michaels and it works just as well.

My friend Pamela from Loving My Crafts, gave me some advice on how to colour images and for that I really am thankful - please check out her blog, its fab.  Thanks Pamela.

Another friend, Jessica, from Created by Rosie, also put her first coloured digi on a card today and that gave me the inspiration to try - please check out her blog , its another fab one.  Thanks Jess.

So there you go another Christmas card to add to the stash.

This card is being entered into the following challenges

Winter Wonderland : Elves (closes Aug 2)

Simon Says Stamp Challenge : Anything Goes (closes Aug 1)

Clear It Out Challenge : Christmas in July (closes Aug 6)

Thanks for stopping by.

Happy crafting.

38 comments:

  1. Awesome fold will have to try this! Super adorable little elf. And the answer to your question is yes please grab the button!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Karen - popping over now to get it:-)

      Delete
  2. Karon, I love-love your card!!! The fold is awesome and I'm definitely going to give it a go!!! Thanks so much, my friend, for sharing with us all!!!

    Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the comment Audrey - hope you are well.

      Delete
  3. Lovely Karon, so cute and bright, love the fold. Colouring is so addictive my friend, enjoy :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. So CUTE! I just LOVE your tutorials - you make it look easy!
    Hope you had a FANTASTIC weekend!
    Shelly

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Shelly - hope you have a go.

      Delete
  5. what a gorgeous creation, thank you so much for joining us at the Winter Wonderland
    Hugs Kate xx
    ps I have candy if you are interested and have not already joined me for my celebrations :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for visiting and leaving such a lovely comment.

      Delete
  6. What an awesome card. I just love the folder listen I think I could even do this one. TFS

    ReplyDelete
  7. That's a fantastic tutorial! The pictures are perfect so I shouldn't have any problems trying this. :) Usually I need directions in crayons to follow them properly. HA! Your card is adorable for the holidays. That elf is a perfect image.
    Just wanted to pop in and say thank you for the very kind comment you left on my blog and for deciding to follow me. I've enjoyed my visit here very much. :)
    Have a great one!
    Lisa xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. WOW Lisa - what a lovely comment and thanks for following me too:-)

      Delete
  8. Really cute card. I love all of your tutorials. I agree with Sheila, this one looks easy enough for me to do it. LOL!!

    Keep'em coming!

    Susie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Susie - hope you will give it a go:-)

      Delete
  9. Karon , this is amazing ! the card is awesome and your tutorial clear and precise .Love the embellishing with fab image and layers .Good luck in your challenges .

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Shirley-anne - its good to know the tutorial is clear:-)

      Delete
  10. Your cards are so beautiful. I look forward to your nexts ones every few days. I am starting with your #1 so I am gonna work my way up.

    You did a wonderful job with the coloring. What was the name of your markers?

    Plese keep on challanging us. It is such a joy!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Debby - thank you so much - I used pencils and Gamsol so it makes the colouring look like markers but not as expensive to buy :-))

      Delete
  11. Wow, what a fun design! This is amazing Karon!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. This is awesome!! I love the creative fold...your tutorial is fabulous!! The digi is so sweet!! You colored him beautifully :)

    Lisa
    A Mermaid's Crafts

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. WOW - thanks Lisa. Appreciate your lovely comment. TFL

      Delete
  13. I always love your projects, Karon! I am even more impressed that you are already thinking of CHRISTMAS!!! How do you do that?? I thought I was good buying back-to-school stuff. hahahaha

    Anyway, lovely ideas and great tutorial!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Nadia - LOL Christmas, it helps that there are a lot of challenges out there, but once you get started it sort of continues:-)

      Delete
  14. HI Karon
    Thanks for visiting my blog last weekend. I love your project you made, that card is fabulous!
    Becka

    ReplyDelete
  15. what a fab card .. love the design and cute image
    Thanks for joining us at Winter Wonderland this week
    Lisa x

    ReplyDelete
  16. Super cute. Love the color and the little guy it too cute. Great tutorial
    DIANA L
    http://dianamlarson.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Diana - isn't he just:-)

      Delete
  17. Your card is adorable and the fold is so clever. I think I am going to try this, Karon.
    Blessing hugs,
    Teresa

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Teresa - its so easy:-)

      Delete
  18. Thanks again for this great tutorial, Karon. I made a card, which will go live on my blog next Tuesday (August 7). I linked back to your tutorial.
    Blessing hugs,
    Teresa

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Teresa - can't wait to see what you have created and thanks so much for the link back. Will be watching:-)

      Delete
  19. I am here from Teresa's link to you. Love this tutorial Karen, thank you for doing it. I will have to have a play, I did do something similar once...
    Love ~ Lady Anne xx
    Lady Anne's Paper Place

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for stopping by today and for the lovely comment.

      Delete

I would like to thank you for stopping by my blog today. All your comments are really appreciated. Happy crafting everyone and have a great day.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...