Tuesday, 28 August 2012

Something Different #10 - The Finale

Today is to be the last post in my folded card series.  As and when I come across more unusual folds, I will endeavour to share them with you.

This card is called the Diamond Gate Fold.  The original dimensions for this card were on UK A4 size paper and the card ended up being 8.5" tall! I did search for other dimensions but in the end had to work it out by myself!

So using the old grey noggin, I resized all the dimensions and came up with a card base that finishes up being 6" by 4", my favourite sized card.  You can make two card bases out of one piece of 12" by 12" card stock.

To start off you will need a piece of card stock measuring 6" by 12".

You will score at the 2", 4", 8" and 10" marks.


Now you need to measure from the top of the 4" score line down, 1.5" and put a small pencil mark.  Next, measure from the bottom of the same score line up 1.5" and put a small pencil mark.  You need to do this again on the 8" score line.

Fold over your card at the 4" score line like this.


You will now make a diagonal score from the top of the 2" score line to the to 1.5" pencil mark and then from the bottom of the 2" score line to the bottom 1.5" mark as below.


Do the same for the other side of the card.  Fold the card at the 8" fold line, mark at 1.5" from top and bottom. Score down from the top of the 10" score line to the top 1.5" mark and then from the bottom of the 10" score line to the bottom 1.5" mark.

Your score lines should now all look like this.


Here comes the fun - the folding.

Your straight score lines are to be folded as follows; mountain, valley, valley and mountain (make sure they are nice and crisp). That makes your gate fold card.

Now we have to fold the diagonal lines.  All the diagonal lines are valley. I used the lines on the 4" and the 8" marks to help here; by pushing down and inwards towards the centre of your card the diagonal lines will start to give.  You need your folds to look like this.


And all four sets of diagonal folds should look like this.


Your card base is finished and should look like this when you stand it up.  Then it just folds like a standard gate fold card to fit in your envelope.


Now its time to decorate your card, however you see fit :-)

Here is mine, out flat.



I used the new cartridge A Quilted Christmas.  The Father Christmas (page 30, Silhouette) was cut at 4".  I used home made glimmer mist on the red card stock for him, as I wanted the deeper red paper.



The holly scrolls were cut at 5" wide (page 73, Silhouette and the Layer 2 for the Holly).  I sprayed the holly and berries with the mist and only glued down the centres to give more depth.


This card is being entered in the following challenges

Joyful Stamper Inspire Me Fridays - # 73 Anything Goes (closes 30 Aug)

Winter Wonderland Challenge Blog - Red and Green should be seen (closes 30 Aug)

Hope you have enjoyed this series of folded cards.  I have a few different ideas for some other series but in the meantime, I will be getting some other projects and things done.

So happy crafting everyone, until next time.

38 comments:

  1. Wow, that is one of the most unusual and creative folds I've ever seen! What a gorgeous card to display - beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much - its got so many possibilities:-)

      Delete
  2. Karon, yours is the easiest I've seen for making this box card!!! And you've embellished it to look so festive and pretty! Thank you so much for sharing -- I love that about you!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awe thanks Audrey - you leave such lovely compliments:-) Thank you.

      Delete
  3. That's really different yet again Karon. I must get my Cricut out and play with that cart, must have had it two weeks which is so not like me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi P - thanks. It really is an amazing cart, there is so much hidden on there!

      Delete
  4. This is gorgeous, Karon!! I love how you embellished it and the fold is fabulous!! You are so sweet to include the tutorials...I definitely need to give this a try!! Have a great evening :)

    Lisa
    A Mermaid's Crafts

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Lisa - I hope you will give it a try. You have a good evening too:-)

      Delete
  5. wow what a great fold love how you photo and explain it. Feel like you are right there....love the santa in the center beautiful....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Karen - I always wonder if the tutorials are straight forward enough. I try to write and take photos as I go along and make it.

      Delete
  6. Stunning. not only is the fold incredible but the way you decorated it is beautiful. Thank you for all the time you have taken in sharing all the different card folds with the step by step instructions. You are appreciated.

    Hugs Nana
    ♥ My Crafting Channel ♥
    Email Me

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Nana - let me know if you give any of them a try:-)

      Delete
  7. This is such a fun card.
    Beautifully done I might add :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. That is a really cool card! Thanks for the inspiration and idea!
    Becka

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping by and leaving a lovely comment.

      Delete
  9. Beautiful shades of red and green and a lovely creation, thank you so much for joining us this week at the Winter Wonderland
    Hugs Kate xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kate, enjoyed making this one.

      Delete
  10. This is gorgeous,love the colours.Thanks again for the tutorial.xxx

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi Karon! I have really enjoyed the folded card series! I have been really wanting to master this aspect of card making and you very much helped it! Arin

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Arin - I hope you will give them a go:-)

      Delete
  12. What a fun fold. Thanks for sharing this, Karon. Blessing hugs, Teresa

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hi Karon:) WOW! love this card type and will have to give it a try, thank you for the tutorial and for taking the time to visit my blog!! Lovely Christmas card. Love your new craft room with all those yummy goodies:) Have a fantastic day!!
    Hugs,
    Norma

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awe, thanks Norma - if you give it a try will you let me know! Your cards are so beautiful- I love coming to visit your blog.

      Delete
  14. What an interesting look! You're so in the Christmas spirit already...I am so behind. :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Eileen - I love doing the Christmas cards - but still feel its a bit early:-)

      Delete
  15. WOW.......looks great Karon! I don't often make shaped cards but with your great tutorial it looks easy enough I should give it a go! Love your craft room too......so much room to be creative!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Tracey - hope you will give it a go and let me know:-)

      Delete
  16. This is so cool, Karon! Great tutorial too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Nadia - appreciate the visit:-)

      Delete
  17. Wow! You make the coolest cards! Thank you so much for this tutorial! I so need to try this out! Love how your card turned out!

    Hugs,
    HL

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Heather - appreciate the fab comment:-)

      Delete
  18. WOW!! What a unique way to fold a card!! I dunno where you find these awesome treasures, but thank you for sharing them with us!! Can't wait to try this one :-)


    ~ Hugs ~

    Jess

    www.createbyrosie.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Jess - I have really enjoyed doing all these different folds:-)

      Delete

I would like to thank you for stopping by my blog today. All your comments are really appreciated. Happy crafting everyone and have a great day.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...