Tuesday, 21 August 2012

Something Different #9 - A Blue Birthday

Hi there, today is my turn to post at She's A Sassy Lady Blog - I'm going to be posting a project there every third Tuesday of the month from now on. Thank you Sheila for encouraging and enabling me:-)

Not a "blue" birthday in the true sense of the word, but I haven't made a card all in blue and I wanted to try this out to see what it would look like.

The folded card for today is called a Side Diamond Springfold card. Only one more to go in this series and then its on to something else :-)

Out of one piece of 8.5" by 11" card stock you can make two card bases. Your finished card will measure just under 4" by 5.5" (at the widest point).

To start you will need a piece of card stock measuring 8.5" by 5.5".

You will score along the 5.5" side at the 2.75" mark.  Turn your paper and score, along the 8.5" side, at the 2.75" and 4" marks.  Should look like this so far.


Next fold the long score line so you have a 2.75" by 8.5" card.  Have your open ends at the top (doesn't really matter but its easier as I have labelled the score marks), you are going to score on the diagonal from the top of the 2.75" mark to the bottom of the 4" mark whilst your piece is folded.  Like this.


Now open up your card and you will have two diagonal folds and nicely centred, like this.


Now we need to fold the score lines.  The two short score marks (the 2.75" and 4" marks) you need to make these valley folds.  Your long fold down the middle, and the diagonal folds will be mountain folds.

In the next photo I'm hoping you can see how I have folded the folds LOL.  It will make it easier to finish the last fold if it looks like this.


To finish the folding, start off like this (I used my daughter Shannon again - her hands come in real handy LOL).  


By pushing on the left side of the card you will bring the diamond down, like this.


And this is your finished card base. (The diamond will straddle that mountain fold, so that the diamond is on both front and back - I really hope this makes sense, its at times like these I wish I had a video:-)

Now comes the fun part.  We get to decorate it:-)

So, if you open up you card so the long mountain fold is to the right, you can decorate what is going to be the front of the card. 


My layers were cut at 4.25" by 2.5", 4" by 2.25", 3.75" by 2".  On the last layer I stamped a butterfly from a Recollections stamp set.

Next, flip your card over and decorate the inside and outside diamond (if you are going to use an image that needs to be a certain way up, make sure you have the orientation right, because when you close the card up, the diamond twists.


My layers for the Happy Birthday (inside of the card) were the same as above, I used a stamp from the CTMH stamp set that comes with Art Philosophy package. 

For the diamond, my square layers were cut at 2.5", 2.25" and 2".  I would leave adding any embellishments to this diamond until you have finished your card.

Here is a picture showing the best place to position your glue for closing and securing your card.


To finish off the front of my card I used the Art Philosophy cartridge and the butterfly (page 55) cut at 1.5".


I added some little pearl dots to finish off the butterfly and embossed the base layer, of the butterfly, with my Cuttlebug and the Devine Swirls folder.


I am entering this card in the following challenges

Joyful Stamper: Inspire me Fridays #72 - Anything Goes (closes Aug 23)

Avadares Challenge Blog  : Challenge #2  - Anything for August  (closes Aug 30)

Simon Says Stamp and Show :  Challenge - No Rules (closes Aug 26)

DL ART : Happy Birthday Linky Party and win Pretty Pennants  (closes Aug 31)

Well I hope you all enjoyed this tutorial and will give it a try.

Happy Crafting.

54 comments:

  1. Love this Karon,what a great design.Thanks for the instructions too.xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping by Doreen:-)

      Delete
  2. this is lovely Karon! what a fun design too, I have never seen this one before! Thanks for the inspiration!
    have a great day!
    hugs

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Maria - its really straight forward :-)

      Delete
  3. What a beautiful card. Love all the intricate folds and the final shape of this card. Great color choices too. Thanks for the tutorial, it was easy to follow along. Thanks for sharig today at She's A Sassy Lady.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sheila - appreciate it:-)

      Delete
  4. This is a stunning card Karon and I love the all blue. Your tutorial is very easy to understand. TFS

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks P - hope you are having a good day:-)

      Delete
  5. This is gorgeous!!! love the shape and beautiful image!!
    Awesome job!!!
    TFS

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jessica - I like this one too:-)

      Delete
  6. Your cards are gorgeous! Thank you so much for sharing how you make them! Great job!

    Hugs,
    HL

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Heather, appreciate the lovely comment.

      Delete
  7. Oh my goodness Karon, SO pretty! The design is really neat and the butterfly is GORGEOUS!
    Have a GREAT day!
    Shelly

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh thank you Shelly - thanks for stopping by.

      Delete
  8. Great new fold and gorgeous card, Karon. Thanks for sharing it at Avadares Challenge Blog.
    Blessing hugs,
    Teresa

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a beautiful Card!!I have never seened this style before!!TFS

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for visiting me today and leaving a lovely comment:-)

      Delete
  10. Wow, this is gorgeous, Karon!! I love the unique fold!! Thank you for taking time to make the tutorial!! Absolutely beautiful :)

    Lisa
    A Mermaid's Crafts

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Lisa - maybe you'll give it a go! :-)

      Delete
  11. Karon, I saw this at Sheila's today and I love-love-love it!!! Thanks so much for the great tutotial too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much for popping in and commenting on my blog too Audrey:-)

      Delete
  12. What a beautiful birthday card. Thanks for the very nice tutorial on how to create this beautiful card. Love the blue color and the gorgeous butterfly die cut that you have on the front. Thanks for joining us at Simon Says Stamp and Show. <3 Candy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping by and for such a wonderful comment:-)

      Delete
  13. Hi, Karon! Thanks for visiting with me today. Yes, I did add Glossy Accents to the little circles on my card. After it dried, I outlined each with Stickles -- it gave them nice dimension but I didn't think it could be noticed on the card. You have a good eye!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I thought so Audrey, it really did add that extra dimension:-)

      Delete
  14. Beuatiful card! Thanks for the instructions - I am going to give it a try!

    Lisa - Scrappy Distractions
    www.ScrappyDistractions.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Lisa - if you do let me know how it goes:-)

      Delete
  15. What a gorgeous card! Love the blue and the butterfly :) I have not seen this fold before ~ thanks for the tutorial!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Lori - I hadn't seen this one before either.:-)

      Delete
  16. Thank you for a beautiful card and lovely tutorial. Looking forward to trying it out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks - hope you'll show me what you make:-)

      Delete
  17. Beautiful card! Great instructions. TFS.
    I saw you over on She's a Sassy Lady. Congrats!!!
    dmcardmaker (at Aol)
    (You know who from the Cricut MB. lol)
    (I'd love to sign up to follow by email with this addy)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi there - I have just put the email sign up thingy majiggy under my profile. Not sure if it will work.:-)

      Delete
  18. Amazing job, Karon. Love the fold. Very beautiful card!

    ReplyDelete
  19. This is gorgeous, Karon. This is a new fold to me and you did it beautifully.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Stephanie - hope you'll try it;-)

      Delete
  20. Oh my, what a pretty, pretty card! What a unique fold! The butterfly you embellied with is fabulous, too!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Missy - appreciate the lovely comment.

      Delete
  21. Your card is so pretty.
    I love the shape of it, so neat :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Tracy - I hope you had a good trip and your haul was fabulous:-)

      Delete
  22. Karon as always your cards are stunning!
    Susie

    ReplyDelete
  23. Thank you so much. Looking forward to it.
    I just signed up today. (life got in the way yesterday)
    I'll PM you when I get my first email.
    D-

    ReplyDelete
  24. What a great card fold. I tried that once and made a total disaster out of it. Thanks for the tutorial. Thanks also for joining us at Avadares for this challenge.
    Margaret, DT

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Margaret - hope you will give it another try:-)

      Delete
  25. This is the coolest birthday card! My word, I looooove the fold and the colors and the images. It's just sensational! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awe shucks - thank you for the lovely comment:-)

      Delete
  26. HOLY COW woman!!! What a GORGEOUS card!!!!! LOVE the fold, but the colors, and the butterfly, and the embellishments... WOW!! Great job!!


    ~ Hugs ~

    Jess

    www.createbyrosie.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. "Holy Cow" Jess! You always make me smile LOL:-) Thank you my friend.

      Delete

I would like to thank you for stopping by my blog today. All your comments are really appreciated. Happy crafting everyone and have a great day.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...