Monday, 3 September 2012

Some Fun in the Craftroom

The day before school begins, and Shannon and I decided to have a play in the craft room.

You know you can go and buy those expensive binders that have nice pictures in - well I really can't afford to go and pay between $6 and $8 per binder.  She needs 8 of them for the year, as she starts High School tomorrow.  So we thought we would have a bit of fun.

I bought 2 packs of 4 of these binders from Costco, costing me $8.49 per pack.  So approximately $2.10 each.


I said to Shannon that we could decorate these however she wanted.  At first she wasn't convinced:-(

Then we realised that the folders had slip in front and back covers.  The spines also have slip in slots but were to awkward.  So, firstly we got the good old vinyl out and put the subjects that she is taking this year on the spines, like so.  We used the Art Nouveau cartridge for the font.


Then I told her she needed to choose the papers to go in the covers and what she would like to put on them if anything.

We decided to have a play with the Four Legged Friends cartridge - she wants to be a vet when she is older and loves all animals.   All the animals were cut between 3.5" and 5.5" depending on the animal.

Shannon chose all the backing papers (which we have inserted in the front and the back of the folders).  She also chose all the layers for the animals and I think they came out really well.

           

Sorry about the single pictures, I was hoping to put them side by side but just can't seem to get them to do it.

Shannon is one happy teenager.  She has some very unique folders to take with her to High School and they didn't cost me an absolute fortune.

Hope you have all had a fabulous long weekend.

Thanks for stopping by today.

Happy crafting.

30 comments:

  1. These are awesome!!! love the cuts and love all the pattern paper!!! You know all her friends are going to be lining up to have you customize their binders!!
    Awesome job!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Jessica - thanks. I've already told here no orders LOL!

      Delete
  2. They are really lovely! I'm sure she will be showing them around tomorrow. Not usually up this late but we've been to the theatre, Chicago, it was really good.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi P, glad you had a good time at the theatre. Its always good to get a night out. And thanks for the comment:-)

      Delete
  3. Oh what fun! Your daughter is going back to school in style! I have a feeling you may be getting request to make more of these for all your daughter's friends. Great team work, they are super cute!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We really enjoyed making them - even if it did take us most of the day LOL:-)

      Delete
  4. These are so fabulous!! Love them all but I think the poodle is my favorite!! Jessica's right...her friends will want them, too!!

    Lisa
    A Mermaid's Crafts

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Lisa - she is really pleased with them. My favourite is the turtle:-)

      Delete
  5. What fab folders So unique too.xxx

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow these are fantastic. Great way to save some money. They are one of a kind so they are priceless. I love the papers and cuts. Really love the poodle one. I bet you could make and sell these to all her friends.

    Hugs Nana
    ♥ My Crafting Channel ♥
    Email Me

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Nana - thanks for stopping by - She wasn't sure how they would turn out but she is one happy bunny:-)

      Delete
  7. These turned out fabulously.
    I am sure she is just as happy as you are at how well they turned out and that you saved some dough as well ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Always good to save some money, and because they just slip in and out of the covers we could change them anytime:-)

      Delete
  8. These are so awesome! What a fabulous idea!
    Hope you had a SUPER day!
    Shelly

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was a great day sharing some crafting time:-)

      Delete
  9. Wow, like mother like daughter! Shannon has a nack for picking out nice papers!!! What a fabulous idea and I will be defiantly using this idea next year when needing binders starts for Michael! Thank you so much for sharing this, they are so awesome! Each and everyone, I love the animals!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Naomi - she's getting pretty good at choosing colours and layers now:-)

      Delete
  10. I thought I was already a follower, Now I am!!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Isn't it fun to watch the kiddos craft? My daughter, Katie, did the same thing this year. I love it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was fun ans she gets something unique out of it:-)

      Delete
  12. Wow that looks like so much fun and look how beautiful each one turned out to be. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sheila - we had a lovely day crafting together:-)

      Delete
  13. These are just adorable! I think they turned out great!!

    Susie

    ReplyDelete
  14. Very cute binders.love every image and font.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Replies
    1. Thanks - she takes them to school today for the first time:-)

      Delete

I would like to thank you for stopping by my blog today. All your comments are really appreciated. Happy crafting everyone and have a great day.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...