Saturday, 27 October 2012

Box of Cards

Earlier in the week I made a set of 6 cards and I said that I would be back with a gift box.  Well here is what  I came up with.


I used a gift box tutorial from Gina K Designs at Stamp TV.  The tutorial can be found here.

It was really easy to follow and I am really pleased with the result.


Now. of course me being me, I thought I would try and create a template for my Cricut machine.  At least then I would eliminate the need to cut the pieces out by hand.  Still scoring them afterward on my scoreboard.

Here is a screen shot of my template in Cricut Craft Room.


Here is a picture of the hand cut template. 


And a picture of the template cut using my Cricut with George and Basic Shapes.


The only thing with using the Cricut - you would have to use a 12" by 12" piece of cards stock.  As the final measurement of your template is 8.25" by 11" and you wouldn't therefore be able to position your 8.5" by 11" cardstock exactly to get it to cut the image (if you know what I mean LOL).  All that is left to do then, is score and cut the slits for the flaps.  There is probably a way of doing that with the Cricut but I have yet to work that out :-)

My butterflies are from the Art Philosophy cartridge cut at 1" and layered for that dimensional look.  A little bit of bling on the bodies.

The Font (cut at 0.75" approx) is also from the Art Philosophy cartridge, as are the shaped layers (page 62, oval 5) cut at 2.75" and 2.5", and I inked the edges of these.

A little bit of ribbon run from back to front, to hide the join under the label and voila one gift box completed.


The finished box measures 4.5" wide, by 6" high, by 0.75" deep.  The box holds the six cards and envelopes very comfortably.  It will also hold cards and envelopes, where the envelope is upto 4.3" by 5.75" without any problem.

This box is being entered in the following challenges.

{PIN}spirational Challenge #30 - I went with the Orange colour as I'm not really into Halloween (closes 29 Oct)

PaperPlay Challenges - Week 43: Butterflies and Bees (closes 31 Oct)

Fussy and Fancy Friday Challenge - #74: Anything Goes (closes 1 Nov)

Just Keep On Creating - Anything Goes #4 (closes 31 Oct)

Thanks for stopping by today.

Happy crafting.

51 comments:

  1. Wow.. that is gorgeous!! I love it! what an amazing gift that would make!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the box,thanks for the info on the tutorial.xxx

    ReplyDelete
  3. so pretty awesome gift. really like the way you explained it. would love to know how to make score lines in the craft room.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Karen - me too! There must be a way to do it, I know with some fiddling you can get it to cut the slits but I didn't have the patience that day:-)

      Delete
  4. This is awesome! What a great project!! TFS and have a GREAT weekend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Jessica - you too:-)

      Delete
  5. hahahahah, Karon you made me laugh out loud with the comment you left on my blog... too funny... I love this box!!!!! You have so many skills such as learning to use Cricut craft room... I have tried but without success..good on you! It all looks so complicated to me but you did such an amazing job and I love how you decorated the box.
    There is a cancellation list and the Doctor did mention he was going to push it so we are hoping it is sooner for sure. Thank you for your amazing support. Have a super day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL Naomi - its only a 2hr flight :-) Thanks for the lovely comment. Hope a cancellation comes through sooner rather than later. Hugs.

      Delete
  6. Wink wink on your card box ~ it's adorable...

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Karon, this is such a great gift idea! Your card box is beautiful, TFS!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Beautiful box.love the papers and butterflies.Beautiful gift set.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Beautiful Karon. Love the whole design. Great colors.

    Hugs Nana
    ♥ My Crafting Channel ♥
    Email Me

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love the brown and orange color scheme- not being too into Halloween either. Nice job and an idea I'm like to lift too. I guess I just need to spend a little time in CraftRoom. Keep up the good work.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Andie, thank you. I think the Kraft card stock is a great base and will probably use that for any more gift boxes I make.

      Delete
  11. Super cute card box...may have to try this myself :) Gina K gives great tutorials...thanks for sharing!

    Thank you for playing along with us at Fussy and Fancy Friday Challenge...good luck!

    Hugs,
    Mary

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, thanks for taking the time to stop by.

      Delete
  12. What an awesome box, Karon!! I love the design and the way you decorated it!! The butterflies are so pretty!! This is such a fabulous gift idea...whoever gets it is very lucky!! I hope you are having a great weekend :)

    Lisa
    A Mermaid's Crafts

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Lisa - thank you so much. Hope you are too:-)

      Delete
  13. Love this Karon!!!
    I'll have to give it a try on CCR.
    Hugs D-
    dmcardmaker

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi D - thank you. Hope you are doing ok!

      Delete
  14. Great gift box! And it looks like the cards peeking out of it coordinate perfectly!!

    ReplyDelete
  15. This is a great way to store your cards.
    You are awesome with that cricut....wow, making your own templates!!!!
    I have the cricut, but hardly ever use them....yes I have more then one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Tracy, thanks so much. I have three by default as I only paid for the Original (which had a broken size dial), they replaced it with a Create (which had a broken screen) and then replaced that with an Expression which works! The other two both work with CCR. They said it wasn't worth me posting them back from Canada!

      Delete
  16. Great gift box Karon! Someone is going to be very lucky getting this set!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Beautiful! I love the fabulous fall colors....what a great gift for someone special!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Such a gorgeous box! You're always full of new ideas and I love all of the tutorials!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Eileen - Gina K's tutorial is fabulous, I just wanted to see if I could use the Cricut and it worked:-)

      Delete
  19. Lovely and creative way to store or give cards :) Thank you for sharing it with us at {PIN}spirational Challenges!

    I invite you to join me at Tuesday Alchemy's current challenge: http://tuesdayalchemy.blogspot.com/ as well.

    Lots of joy,
    Corrinne

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Corrinne - thanks for stopping by:-)

      Delete
  20. Great card box!! Really pretty!

    Susie

    ReplyDelete
  21. Wow! What a great idea for a card box and I love yours!

    ~sandy
    visit my blog @ sandy's crafty creations

    ReplyDelete
  22. What a fabulous idea! The color combo is perfect and I love the delicate little butterflies too. Hope you're having a great day.

    Hugs,
    Lisa

    ReplyDelete
  23. What a great creation!!!! Awesome! Thanks for participating in the {PIN}spirational Challenge! Hope to see you again!!
    ~DEANNE~

    ReplyDelete
  24. Thanks so much for sharing your lovely project at Anything goes, Just keep on creating.
    Sorry it has taken so long to leave a comment. Just to let you know that the challenges are up and running again so hope you will continue to play along.

    ReplyDelete

I would like to thank you for stopping by my blog today. All your comments are really appreciated. Happy crafting everyone and have a great day.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...