Wednesday, 17 October 2012

Who knew paper could be so interesting!

Hi everyone, so who knew that researching paper could be so interesting.  On my surfing adventures, I found some really interesting tidbits of information.

Thanks for all your wonderful get well wishes recently - I'm still not well  but I couldn't stay away from those Spectrum Noir pens any longer!

Firstly, did you know that Cover stock is thicker and smoother than Index card stock.

So 60lb cover stock is the equivalent to 90lb card stock and 160gsm, but remember the cover stock is smoother.

And 80lb cover stock is the equivalent to 120lb card stock and 220gsm (approx).

Here's a link to a paper website -   http://www.paper-paper.com/weight.html  this is the link to the actual paper weights table.

I had a nice man at Staples (here in Canada) who gave me two samples, one was 65lb cover stock and the second was 100lb cover stock. (I will confirm this when I get chance to visit when I'm feeling better)

So, I finally had a play, yeah!

Here is the 65lb cover stock (176gsm).  As you can see it bled quite a lot! I was using three blending colours so lots of juicy ink.


The same image on the 100lb cover stock (270gsm). (Anything out of the lines on this one is mostly me!)


And another 65lb cover stock with the balloons.


And finally the 100lb cover stock.


So as you can see the 100lb cover stock was way better.  

The only one problem!  Staples do not sell the 100lb cover stock on their shelves in packs - the 110lb card stock is not the same! I made this mistake and thats why I ended up doing the above research.

I was able to buy 50 sheets of the 100lb cover stock from the photocopy/print centre in Staples, I believe its what they use for doing all their printing for customers.  It cost me 30cents a sheet, and he couldn't be bothered to count them so I ended up with around 65:-)

So, all I can say is go along to Staples and ask the man!  I will confirm the weight/type etc when I get chance to ask them what is exactly on the box of paper he is getting it from :-)

A bit more details reference the info that some of my bloggie friends in the UK/USA/Canada recommend

Staples Text & Graphic 160 gsm (UK) - not available here in Staples Canada :-(

Georgia Pacifica (USA) - not available where I live in Canada - not sure if this applies to the whole of Canada

Another highly recommended card, made by several friends, is the Xpress It Blending Card for Copics (250 gsm) - trying to find local stockists or Canadian on line.

Neenah Solar White  - trying to find Canadian suppliers

Gina K Design Pure Luxury card   - same as above.

I also bought some Strathmore Bristol Paper, at a local arts shop (I think Michaels sell this too) that is 100lb - 270gsm card stock - I have yet to try this.

Who new!

And if I find anymore paper that is good over time, I will let you know.

Thanks for stopping by today.

Happy crafting.

30 comments:

  1. So funny you posted this this morning.. I was just sitting here thinking about it!! hehe Thanks for the info!! HUGE difference and who knew all that! Wow!

    Feel Better Karon!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Susan - as and when I come across any more useful info I will let everyone know.

      Delete
  2. thanks for all this info!!!
    Hope you're feeling better soon and have a great hump day!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hope you're feeling better. Very interesting post.I'm going to try some of these papers. Thanks for the info.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Stephanie - feeling a little better this afternoon.

      Delete
  4. Well Well Well!!! You have to be dubbed by blogger world the queen of researching!! That must have taken a lot of time!! I couldn't be happier though because researching frustrates me so much, lol... Thank you so much for the conversion of 160 gsm's!!!! I had no idea whatsoever !!! You just saved us so much time and I will most certainly be talking nice to this man at staples when I see him, hehe!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hee Hee Naomi - thanks, I will still keep any eye out for different papers but will also get the exact details from Staples when I get chance.

      Delete
  5. Hi Karon~
    Great experimental on both! I'm glad you found the paper that works out for you.
    I guess that's why I didn't have any problems with mines bleeding because like I mentioned the papers I use too is 110 lb. and it works fine with all my pens..
    Hope you get better soon ~

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Shirl - we have to go with what we can get our hands on conveniently don't we :-)

      Delete
  6. Great post Karon! The Georgia Pacific Cardstock is what you can buy at Walmart and it bleeds/feathers a lot like your samples and uses up LOTS of your ink so I would advise staying away from that one! I think the Xpress It paper can be ordered from Copic and probably any other online place that sells the Copic pens. Thanks for all your research. It is good to be informed and finding the right paper at an affordable price is certainly mind boggling!! I now use the Xpress It and the Neenah.
    ~sandy
    visit my blog @ sandy's crafty creations

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will try out different papers, but for now with my capabilities what I have got from Staples will work well. Thanks so much Sandy.

      Delete
  7. Karon, what a fabulous post!! Very informative -- I really need to invest in some better cardstock for my coloring -- You've inspired me!! :)

    Thanks so much for your "visit" today -- I hope you start feeling better quick!!

    BIG HUGS,
    Amy :) at www.lovetocrop.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Amy and for becoming my newest follower:-)

      Delete
  8. Thanks for all the info, Karon!! I hope you are feeling much, much better!!

    Lisa
    A Mermaid's Crafts

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Lisa, I think I am getting there.

      Delete
  9. my head is spinning with all your informaion you just doled out! How priceless that is! I love the people at our Staples too! Get to feeling better!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Your shading is fab.You have done so much research way to go.I use GP paper from walmart and I wish you could find it at Canada.Its very cheap than the other brands.I found this site hope it helps you http://www.spectrumnoir.com/coloring-wavy-hair/.Im always finding lots of tips on how to color with my noirs at this blog.You will find that you need the other sets to blend more with different colors.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Yoshira - thanks so much for the link. I have been taking a look at the videos for hints and tips - fabulous.

      Delete
  11. I know when I started my search for the perfect paper for use with Copics had my head spinning as well.
    It is also sad that we can't find a lot of these papers here in Canada. But I am sure most do order from on-line stores.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Tracy - yep I'm slowly finding on line stores here in Canada, but the postage is still bad. Thanks:-)

      Delete
  12. Karon, You will learn a lot about paper. The thinker the paper you will go though a lot more ink. You want to make sure their is NO coating on any paper you work with the alcohol base markers if it has a coating on the paper it will rune you marker tip in time. I know some of the girls tell you to go to Walmart that cardstock is fine it you want to practice on it but to have a VERY GOOD paper you are going to pay more money for it. I have tried a lot of different paper and I would never tell you to buy something that is not good. You will find if you try x-press it blending card stock it is a thinner weight. I think Paper Temptress has it. www.papertemptress.com and see if you can order just a few sheets to try it you will be happy with it.
    Hugs, Patricia

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank so much for all this info, appreciate it Patricia:-)

      Delete
  13. Karon, thank you for this information! It's good to know.

    Susie

    ReplyDelete
  14. Karon: Go check out my post here: http://scrapathousandwords.blogspot.com/2012/10/liebster-award.html

    ReplyDelete
  15. Thanks so much!
    This has been something I have wondered about, too.
    Hugs D-
    dmcardmaker

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi D, isn't it fascinating! LOL :-)

      Delete

I would like to thank you for stopping by my blog today. All your comments are really appreciated. Happy crafting everyone and have a great day.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...