Tuesday, 18 December 2012

A No Horse Open Sleigh!

Hey peoples - how is everyone.  It's that time of the month for me to share a creation with everyone over at She's a Sassy Lady, and of course here with my lovely followers, so here is some last minute Christmas inspiration for you.

I have been seeing these lovely sleighs with a box incorporated all over blog land - but I have yet (notice the yet!) to get hold of a Cameo - Father Christmas do you hear the little hint!

I decided to do it the old fashion way and this is what I came up with.


I used the Circut Cartridge Winter Woodland for the sleigh (page 53) cut at 3" (actual size is 3" high by 5.25" wide),  I cut the sleigh out twice normal and then flipped the image and cut out twice again.  Here is the screen shot.


The reason that I cut four sleighs, was to glue two together to give it that extra bit of strength - I don't have the deep cut blade to be able to use thicker materials.

After gluing two sleighs together, I then glued on the sleigh layer and then I ran this through my Cuttlebug with the Divine Swirls folder; only embossing the top part of the sleigh.


Now came my awkward part - making the box to attach to the sleigh.

First you will need (for this size sleigh - any bigger and you will have to work out the size of your box) a piece of card stock that is 7.5" by 6.5".

You will score the longest side at 2" and 5.5".


Next score lines on the shorter side, score at 2" and 4.5".


Now we need to shape the box.  So we are going to measure 5/8" up from the 2"/4.5" score line as below and mark with a little dot, then draw a line as below - please note the orientation and that you are making these lines on the longer edge.


Next you are going to cut off these pieces.


The next piece to cut is as below - again 5/8".


Next to cut your flaps ready to form your box.


And now we can make up the box by securing the flaps and there you have it.  A nice shaped box to attach your sleighs.


I used silver card to make up my box - all you need to do is then secure your sleighs to your box.


I then made a small box to go inside the sleigh - it measures 3" by 2" by 3" high.  I filled this with lovely chocolates and added a lovely bit of ribbon.  The holly was cut at 1" .


And that is it, all done and a lovely gift to share.

Entering this in the following challenges.

Tuesday Alchemy - Challenge #45: Anything but a Card (closes 24 Dec)

Die Cuttin Divas - Challenge #95 - More Holiday Spirit (closes 31 Dec)

Thank you so much for stopping by today.

Happy crafting.

34 comments:

  1. Karon this sleigh is fantastic I love the design and thank you for the tut. Caroline xxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. WOW!!! This is awesome!!!! Thanks for sharing your tutorial!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Absolutely adorable, Karon! Looks like I need a Cricut now ....oh you enabler, you! LOL. Hope your Crimbo prep is moving along smoothly.

    hugs

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a lovely gift box! You always seem to come up with the easiest, yet appearing to be complicated projects. And you communicate them in such a clear way as to make it easy to follow. Nice job!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Gorgeous project Karon~
    You are so amazing with your ideas thanks for the inspiration too.
    TFS the tutorial as well.
    Enjoy your crafty day~

    ReplyDelete
  6. Absolutely love this gorgeous creation Karon.xxx

    ReplyDelete
  7. Fabulous project and tutorial, Karon. Thanks for sharing this.
    Blessing hugs,
    Teresa

    ReplyDelete
  8. What an adorable sleigh! Love the beautiful gift box inside the sleigh also. Sure hope Santa hears your hints and leaves a nice, shiny Cameo under the tree for you!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Absolutely stunning sleigh, Karon!! And your tutorial is so awesome!! I love how you made it...it looks amazing!! Have a great day :)

    Lisa
    A Mermaid's Crafts

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh wow! That's almost all I can say! WOW! I love this gorgeous sleigh!
    ~sandy
    visit my blog @ sandy's crafty creations

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh WOW!! Back at you - thanks everyone :-)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh!My!Goodness!!This is Absolutely BEAUTIFUL!!!Love!Love!Love!
    Have a wonderful day,
    Migdalia

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oooh...I like your sleigh! I am working on some 3D ideas. Hope to post them soon.

    Happy Holidays,
    Georgiana
    Carson's Creations

    ReplyDelete
  14. This is fabulous, the sleigh looks great in 3D and I like the blue and silver!!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Gorgeous project, love it!! Thanks so much for visiting me over at The Aviary, I really appreciate it :D

    ReplyDelete
  16. Love this! You did a wonderful job. TFS.
    dmcardmaker

    ReplyDelete
  17. Super cute project! Thanks for the tutorial

    DIANA L.
    http://dianamlarson.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  18. Oh my goodness, this is such an awesome project.
    This turned out perfects. So pretty as well.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Oh my this is beautiful and perfect for a gift!!! Thank you for the tutorial on how to make the base and OMG! your card below with the little boy by that adorable tree is just so CUTE!! Have a great evening!!
    Hugs,
    Norma

    ReplyDelete
  20. Love it and it would be so good filled with chocolates .... oh Yes I can almost taste them
    Merry Christmas xx

    ReplyDelete
  21. Gorgeous!! Thanks for playing along with us at DCD!! Lee-Ann :)

    ReplyDelete
  22. Thank you so much my friends:-)

    ReplyDelete
  23. Karon, you never seem to stop amazing me! Where there is a will there is a way! Brilliant. I wish I had time to make this sleigh... a big must for next year and I am heading over to the Silhouette store to get that image now. Happy Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
  24. So cute! Love the embossed sides. Great idea to add the big package! Merry Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
  25. This is so pretty, Karon!! Thank you for sharing the "how to"! I don't have a Cameo yet, either..everyone has been making such cute things with them..they are making me want one, too! lol

    Merry Christmas to you!

    Heather Lynn

    ReplyDelete
  26. OMG Karon!!!! This is great!! I mean stunning!!

    ReplyDelete
  27. Amazing Sleigh!! Love the details on this! You should come over and enter this at CCR no red no green challenge! Deets are on my sidebar! Happy Holidays! Carri~Abusybee

    ReplyDelete
  28. So so stunning Karon!! Love your fun Sleigh - the EF you chose is perfect. Beautifully done!!

    ReplyDelete
  29. OMGorgeous!!! LOVE this sleigh box!!! Thanks for the step-by-step!!!

    ReplyDelete
  30. OMG my friends you are all awesome - thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  31. My sweet and talented friend, I am so delighted to return to your beautiful blog! I forgot to mention in my last post that I would be away for the holiday for vacation-family time! My sweetheart always takes his vacation over Christmas since it's our favorite time of year. :o) I am back to Blogger and am eager to see what you've been up to!

    My heart DANCED when Is aw this sleigh! It is stunning! The embossing is gorgeous and I love the holly corner detail. The fact that you made this the harder way makes it even more spectacular. :o) This is truly beautiful, Karon.. bursting with festive and wintery cheer! :o) (Want to know a secret?! Santa ordered me a Cameo earlier today for an extra gift at a fab price! It will be here next week, I think.. I am both excited and scared! Ha! I hope I learn it quickly.. there are so many gorgeous possibilities and am eager to use them to bless people. I hope you got one, too!)

    Hugs and blessings!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Karen - money was a little tight with Santa this year - so will save my pennies and try to get a Cameo when the time is right. I will get one:-)

      Delete
  32. Super cute!! Thank you for joining us at DCD

    Veronica DCD

    ReplyDelete

I would like to thank you for stopping by my blog today. All your comments are really appreciated. Happy crafting everyone and have a great day.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...