Wednesday, 5 December 2012

Oriental Card Box

Hi there everyone, it's my turn to visit over at The Bug Bytes again this month.

For those of you who follow my blog regularly (which is most of you LOL!), you will recall the Oriental card sets I made the other week.

Well, I am finally getting around to making the box to put them in.  I didn't over embellish the box, as I wanted to keep within the theme of the cards.

Here is my box all finished.


The cards and envelopes need to fit in a 6.5" by 4.5" by 1.5" deep box.

You will need two pieces of card stock; one measuring 9.5" by 7.5" for the base and the other piece 8.5" by 6.5" for the lid.  I wanted the lid to be 1" deep, so that it wasn't the same depth as the base.

I use the Martha Stewart Scoreboard for this project.

Place your paper to the far left on your score board and score the longest side at 1.5" and 8".  Then turn and score the shorter side at 1.5" and 6".


Make tabs by cutting up to the first score line on all four corners, as shown.


Form the base of the box by securing the tabs on the inside flap.


Next for the lid, using the smaller piece of card stock(longer side to top), place you paper on the mark with the arrow (on the left hand side of the score board) (if you don't have a Martha Stewart scoreboard, place your piece of paper 1/16 of inch in from the left edge); score this piece at 1" and 7 5/8" and then turn and score the shorter side at 1" and 5 5/8".


Again make tabs on all four corners and secure these as before.  This is your lid.


Put them together and this is your basic box.  Now the fun part is choosing papers and colours and decorate it how you wish.

As my card set was Oriental themed, I decided to do a complimentary box.

My card stock is from my DCWV stack called The Far East, the same as I used for all the cards.


The top of the box is decorated using the Paper Lace 2 cartridge, for the squares (page 34) cut at 1.5".  The Pagoda cartridge for the temple (page 60) cut at 3".

I did the same embossing technique that I did on my cards, just using the scoreboard to make two lines 1/8" apart, to frame the top and all sides of the box.


I inked all the edges with Tim Holtz Tea Dye Distress ink to finish them off.  The finished box is holding 6 cards and envelopes, but you could probably fit in another 2.

Thanks for stopping by today. 

Happy crafting.

22 comments:

  1. Oh My! I love this card box. Beautiful shade of grey for the box. Awesome ! Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this card box the design and colour is fabulous. Caroline xxx

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is an absolutely stunning gift set, Karon!! I love the design of the box...you decorated it perfectly!! Gorgeous, gorgeous project!! Have a great day :)

    Lisa
    A Mermaid's Crafts

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's so cool! Thanks for sharing the box template :D Beautiful set!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beautiful box and great tutorial, Karon. Thanks for sharing.
    Blessing hugs,
    Teresa

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love your box Karon! I make these too and in fact have a Christmas one I was thinking of posting today. If I get the time that is! I have the dimensions somewhere of the first one I made and have then made different sizes and just wing it was means errors now and then. Thanks for you great tutorial with the measurements. Now I know where to come find them! :)
    ~sandy
    visit my blog @ sandy's crafty creations

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh Karon - just so beautiful! I probably will have to case this one too. Thanks for the tutorial.. Will try and see if I can squeeze another project in or save it for another rainy day... LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  8. These are gorgeous Karon!!! WOW!!!
    Thanks for sharing this and for the tutorial as well!
    Have a GREAT hump day!

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is beautiful...fabulous tutorial too.xxx

    ReplyDelete
  10. Karon, you've made the perfect box for your cards. This is stunning. Beautiful gift.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wow, Karon, I really like this look! Gorgeous, it is perfect for your cards!!
    hugs & blessings

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thank you all so much for the wonderful comments.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Love the look of this box. Very antique-y oriental...if that makes sense. TFS

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love this box- maybe more than the cards (which were lovely too!). You must have quite a stash of small, personal gifts ready for Christmas. I hope you are feeling the season!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Perfect box for your set of cards.love the design on coners.Beautiful paper.

    ReplyDelete
  16. A gorgeous box!!Your cards are sooooooo BEAUTIFUL!!!Love your cards!!
    Migdalia

    ReplyDelete
  17. Karon this is just beautiful and can be used to make extra special gifts. TFS

    ReplyDelete
  18. absolutely fabulous! who ever gets these is going to be one happy camper!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Absolutely gorgeus,,,,I love any oriental craft and all over ukiyo-e and Geisha picts,,,,,take a look to my collection on Asian Category or geishas,,Thanks for your comments in my blog,,,so feel free to ask me your favorite product from all my stuff for free, email me to nicecrane@yahoo.com

    ReplyDelete
  20. Thanks everyone - really appreciate it:-)

    ReplyDelete
  21. Karon, this is gorgeous as ever! What an exquisite presentation for the beautiful cards. The detailing is simply perfect, as it always is with your work. :o) You are one talented lady and I am so thankful to finally be catching up. :o)

    Hugs and blessings!

    ReplyDelete

I would like to thank you for stopping by my blog today. All your comments are really appreciated. Happy crafting everyone and have a great day.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...