Wednesday, 2 January 2013

Happy New Year everyone!

Hi everyone, today is my visit over at The Bug Bytes Blog.  I hope you have all had an amazing Christmas and that your New Years celebrations went well.

I was cutting it a bit fine for this project.  We had friends coming over for dinner on New Years Day, so I decided to make a table decoration, on New Years Eve!

This is what I came up with.


Please ignore the Bah Hum Bug hat in the background - it's my husbands (standing joke in our house)! My apologies for the photo but you can see it better up close.  Now for safety reasons, I'm not actually going to light these candles, but I have decorated both sides of the banner, so both sides of the table will be able to read it. 

Major boo boo though!!  I realized after decorating it all - that I have actually put the letters back to back, so H has a H on the other side when it should have been a Y, and A has and A when it should have been a P and so on.  So, it will be backward on the opposite side, LOL!  Guess it can sit and look pretty on my buffet instead, LOL!  :-)   Well, all great crafters make mistakes - don't they!?

Firstly, if you have the Art Philosophy cartridge, you will know that it came with some stamps and also some Dimensional embellishments.  Now, mine have been sitting in a little bag for nearly 6 months, and was wondering if I would ever get round to using them.  Well New Years Eve I decided to make this banner with them.


From the Art Philosophy cartridge I cut out 6 of the rounded end tags (page 39), 10 of the flags (page 29), and 8 of the triangles (page 49), all cut at 2".  I cut out double the amount because I am decorating both sides.


Then I used the Winter Woodland cartridge to cut out the letters, using the font shadow, cut at 1".


Using a Zigway glue pen - I first glued all the sides to the the dimensional pieces - they fit perfectly.  Then I added the letters.  Now that was going to be it, but the letters needed something more.  So I added glitter to the letters - it needed that bit of sparkle, don't you think?


I then thread some thin sparkly ribbon through the holes - to make three separate banners.  These were then attached to two candles and little bows added to where they were tied.  Here's a close up of the banner.  Excuse it being in my light box - but it shows a lot better this way.


I'm actually quite pleased how this turned out.  Nothing over the top but it looks lovely on my buffet.


I wish you all a very Happy New Year and here is to a fabulous year of creativity.

Entering this banner in the following challenges.

Decorate to Celebrate - Challenge #41: New Year/Winter Party (closes 8 Jan)

2 Sisters Challenge Blog - Challenge #124: Anything but a Card (closes 4 Jan)

Exploring Cricut - Last Challenge 2012: Welcoming in 2013 (closes 5 Jan)

Hiding in my Craft Room - Challenge #78: Freestyle (closes 4 Jan)

Unique Crafters Challenge Blog - January Challenge: New Beginnings (closes 31 Jan)

Thanks for stopping by today.

Happy crafting.

35 comments:

  1. What a fabulous project!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. love this!!!
    Awesome banner Karon!!
    TFS and have a GREAT hump day!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Fantabulous!!!!!!! How creative and yes we are allowed only one mistake per year, hehe! I love the picture on the buffet the best!!!! Beautiful job Karon

    ReplyDelete
  4. The decoration is lovely! So clever to use a very appropriate supply from your stash! It is small enough to keep until next year I suppose. Nice job and I, too, look forward to following you through your creative journey this year. Yeah us!

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a fabulous idea, Karon. This turned out so pretty and sparkly.

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a great project for table decoration. Precisely the mistake I would have made too. When idea strikes on to it and work it out as you go lol. I remember making the same one when I was covering a packet with logo. TFS

    ReplyDelete
  7. Way to ring in the New Year, lovely banner....

    ReplyDelete
  8. Fantastic idea Karon. It came out beautiful and yes Great Crafters make mistakes, it's probably the same one I would have made. Great way to use those chipboards. Mine are still sitting in a baggie thinking that I forgot all about them. LOL

    ReplyDelete
  9. That is great and well the lettering boo boo sounds like something I would do. lol
    Bet your guests loved it. Great save putting it on the buffet.
    Happy New Year my friend.
    D-
    dmcardmaker (AOL)

    ReplyDelete
  10. This is so creative and fabulous, Karon!! I love the banner!! I never would have thought of making something like this...it is absolutely gorgeous!! You need to link this up at Decorate to Celebrate for the New Year's Party Challenge (http://decoratetocelebrate.blogspot.com/)!! Happy Wednesday :)

    Lisa
    A Mermaid's Crafts

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wow that's lovely Karon and what a great idea for using those little devils that I just put on one side and forgot about :-( Happy New Year P xxx

    ReplyDelete
  12. Super cute Karon! I didn't do any New Year decorations. And I love that hat! LOL!!

    Susie

    ReplyDelete
  13. amazing banner just love it so. So going to get caught up this weekend. On your markers how did you learn to blend, shade, that is on my to do list for 2013. Hope you have a wonderful New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Wonderful banner!! Love the sparkle on the letters! Also love how you tied them to the candles. Thank you so very much for joining our challenge at Exploring Cricut!!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Such a fun project !!!
    i would have probably done the same thing with the letters as you did, thinking I was saving myself time, teehee. No matter it looks great.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Thank you all so very much and glad that I'm not the only one that would make that mistake LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Happy New Year Karon:) What a great project...love this idea and I love the glittery letters.

    ReplyDelete
  18. A very pretty banner!!love it!For 2013,that is on my to do list,Yes..a banner!
    Thanks for the inspiration!
    Have a wonderful day,
    Migdalia

    ReplyDelete
  19. How festive and fun this banner is perfect to welcome in the New Year - your snow people props are adorable. Happy new Year Karon see you soon.

    DIANA L.
    http://dianamlarson.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  20. Hi Karon:) WOW! super cute banner and a Happy New Year my friend and cheers to a fantastic 2013!!
    Hugs,
    Norma

    ReplyDelete
  21. Hi, Karen! Happy New Year to you!! I noticed the bah humbug Santa hat and got a little laugh out that. Too funny!

    I love your pennants. It is very creative how you used the candles and combining different kinds of pennants either.

    ReplyDelete
  22. What a great idea, love this project!! Thanks for joining us at Hiding in my Craft Room
    Cheers Jennie DTM
    Jenscrapstoo

    ReplyDelete
  23. Oh Karon, this is stunning!!! What a beautiful project. The sparkling letters are absolutely gorgeous and I LOVE your set-up. Making them three separate banners was such a beautiful idea. (That ribbon is so pretty, too!) I really love the idea of having homemade decor as part of a holiday buffet. :o) Such a clever use of the candles, too. And I like your boo-boo... whenever I mention a major goof to my mom, she tells me the same story about quilters who purposely make a mistake on their quilts so it's known to be handmade. I think she'll keep telling me that story until I stop responding with, "But I want to be perfect!" ;) Hehe! So on her behalf, I told you the story. ;) Gorgeous work, my talented friend!

    Hugs and blessings!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Love the banner! But, of course, the first thing I noticed after looking at the banner was the hat! It's really funny! I was thinking about your "backward" dilemma and thought of an answer. Place in front of a mirror. Problem solved!
    Thanks for joining us at Unique Crafters Challenge!
    Hugs and sunshine,
    Cissy

    ReplyDelete
  25. Thanks so much everyone - here is to 2013 - may it be the best year ever.

    ReplyDelete
  26. Oh my! This is a stunning project, Karon! How did I miss it. Love the gold lettering. A very elegant start to the year!
    I hope you have truly successful 2013.
    hugs,
    ...A...

    ReplyDelete
  27. Oh Karon - What a beautiful and inspiring project for New Years!! It's so fun and makes a wonderful decoration - I just love it! Thank you too for showing us how to make it. Happy New Year!!
    Hugs,
    Audrey

    ReplyDelete
  28. You are starting off the good year being very Creative! Love It! :0)

    ReplyDelete
  29. Great project! I love the idea of the candles holding the banners, I'd never seen this before... Just beautiful!!!
    Hugs,
    Lisa

    Cre8n4u

    ReplyDelete
  30. LOVE this! Had a great giggle at the grumpy sentiment attached...hubby liked that too...LOL!
    Happy New Year to you too Karon and I can't wait to see what unfolds on your blog of creativity. :)
    hugs,
    Lisa xx

    ReplyDelete
  31. Great DIY banner! It looks to fit in everywhere--from table centerpiece to a shelf! The sparkle really catches the eye.

    ReplyDelete
  32. LOVE! Graet minds think a like! I am working on something similar to this for my mantel! Sorry you are under the weather. I had to go to the doc last week for a sinus infection, I had been sick since Dec 19, so I feel for you!

    ReplyDelete

I would like to thank you for stopping by my blog today. All your comments are really appreciated. Happy crafting everyone and have a great day.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...