Tuesday, 15 January 2013

Keep Calm, Shannon!

Hi there all my crafting buddies - how is everyone?  It's that time of the month where I share a project over at She's a Sassy Lady and of course to share a little bit of creativity here with you too.

My daughter, Shannon, is busy studying and doing last minute assignments for her first semester(just ending) at High School.  She was getting a little stressed out the other day, so I decided to make her a notice for her room.

Now, you no doubt have been seeing these all over the web, but this is my version for my daughter.


I have recently (thanks to my darling hubby) come into the possession of a Silhouette Cameo and have been enjoying playing with it.

For my project, I took a dollar store 8" by 10" canvas and painted it lilac - one of Shannon's favourite colours.


Exciting isn't it!  LOL!

Next came the vinyl cut - oh it was so easy to do - picked a font - typed up what I want and cut away!


Now, I know I could have taken the easy way out and centred it all and left space, but I'm not one to waste vinyl, and I could have saved more, but wasn't thinking when I took off the excess stuff. So, to position the words straight on the canvas, I take each word and using the transfer tape (Walmart clear contact adhesive - shelf liner!) and a piece of straight card stuck just underneath the wording, I am able to position them.


The one thing I did find, with working on the canvas, is that you need to burnish (as in rub) the vinyl quite well  so that it adheres to the canvas.  I used my little Cricut scraping tool.


Next came the butterfly.  The file for this comes from Birds Cards, oh my she has some amazing files and all are free and she is constantly adding to them.  There are two butterflies with shadows - I used one of them and then the hearts are from the inside wings of the other :-)

I chose a butterfly to add to this project, because they always look so calm and peaceful, just fluttering around.  The hearts are just to show my daughter how much she is loved and to just not stress!

Sorry, I meant to show the cut too - but you know how it goes.  Here's a close up of the butterfly with the bling:-)  The different colour bling was to add a pop of colour other than the lilac. I used the Swiss Dots embossing folder for the butterfly and the Devine Swirls folder for the hearts.


I added some Smile ribbon around the edge of the canvas using strong double sided sticky tape.  To remind Shannon to keep on smiling :-)


Staple gunned the ribbon to hang it - so it won't come off and used some little buttons and twine to hide the staple, attached these using the hot glue gun :-)


And a little photo to the side to show the butterfly off.


This project is being entered in the following challenges.

Our Kreative Karma - January Challenge: Your Hobby - can be anything! (closes 30 Jan)

Flutterby Wednesday - Challenge #222: Anything goes (closes 15 Jan)


Lexi's Creations - Challenge #81: Anything Goes (closes 19 Jan)

Bunny Zoe's Crafts - Monthly Challenge January: Anything Goes (closes 10 Feb)

Cuttin and Stampin Challenge - Challenge #2: Use Hearts or Love in your creation (closes 21 Jan)

Brown Sugar Challenge Blog - Challenge #24: Butterflies (closes 17 Jan)

The Squirrel and The Fox - Challenge #35: Anything Goes (closes 23 Jan)

Thanks for stopping by today.

Happy crafting.

37 comments:

  1. Love your sign!!!! Purple is my favorite color too!! Thanks for your centering tip! I get lazy and let Gypsy center for me and end up wasting vinyl.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, My! This is gorgeous! I love the butterfly! Just perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a great project and so pretty... My children loved signs on their doors when they were growing up. Wish I would have had my machines back then! Thanks for sharing with us today at She's A Sassy Lady.

    ReplyDelete
  4. How lovely, I bet Shannon is thrilled to bits. You've done a fabulous job and it's looks great. hugs xxx

    ReplyDelete
  5. Bet she liked her sweet sign. Love the color5. Glad you're enjoying your new toy.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Super fabulous!Thank you for playing along with my Flutter By Wednesday Challenge!

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is so gorgeous, Karon!! What an awesome sign for your daughter!! The color is beautiful and the butterfly is adorable!! Love, love it!! Have a great day :)

    Lisa
    A Mermaid's Crafts

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a great sign for your daughter. I really like the butterfly. I think it's perfect for out Hearts or Love challenge at Cuttin and Stampin. Thanks so much for playing along.

    Tammy Smith

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is awesome! Love the butterfly and the great color! Carri~Abusybee

    ReplyDelete
  10. Beautiful canvas.love the butterfly and bling.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I just love the whole Keep calm and ... series. This would fit into my house very well with one junior high and one high school kid (both overachievers who study way too much!). I'm back to work and a little behind on my blog following. I saw your comment- always faithful, thank you- about the blog. I did change the look of the blog (for free at ShabbyBlogs.com!). No, it wasn't long ago as I did it in the past week. :) Keep Calm and Craft On, Karon!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hello my friend:) Glad to be back and checking what you are up to:) This is simple beautiful and great job and centering the words and way to go on saving some vinyl :) Your daughter must of LOVED it!!! Thank you for visiting and enjoy the rest of your week!!
    Hugs,
    Norma

    ReplyDelete
  13. WOW!!I love this Canvas!!Your daughter will love it too!Stunning and very BEAUTIFUL!!Lovely color and pretty butterfly!
    Have a Wonderful Day,
    Migdalia

    ReplyDelete
  14. WOW WOW WOW!! This is awesome!!! I bet your daughter LOVES it!!!!
    Awesome job Karon!!!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Oh...how darling! Love the purples and your beautiful butterfly! I know your daughter will love to have this hanging in her room - it is truly lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Beautifil project :) Have been reading your blog for a bit now and decided it was time to say hello :0 so HELLO from Australia :), i recently got a cameo also and am loving it :) so much to learn compared to the cricut tho .

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Jodie - thanks for stopping by - do you have a blog - would love to come take a look.

      Delete
  17. This is such a sweet project. I am sure your daughter appreciated it.
    I love that the little butterfly looks like it is fluttering on the canvas

    ReplyDelete
  18. This is great! I really like the butterly and the bling, too! I'm sure she loved it!!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Hi, Karon - what a lovely reminder to your daughter that you love her, and know she is doing her best! It's a wonderful sign and shows great love!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Karon - this is so beautiful and I know your daughter LOVES it!! I love the butterfly and flourish and the fun hearts - truly a beautiful work of art for your daughter!! Hugs

    ReplyDelete
  21. Great project, thank you for playing along with Brown Sugar this week, we hope you decide to join us again!! Good Luck,
    Alice B.

    ReplyDelete
  22. My dear friend, this is such a fantastic project for your daughter! Not only will it help her, it's also absolutely beautiful. I love the gorgeous butterfly and sparkly flourishes, the sweet hearts from the other butterfly, and of course the purple. Using "smile" ribbon is a perfect touch that I doubt I would have even thought of! This is truly a heartfelt and gorgeous gift. What a great mom you are. :o) I'm so glad you continue to love your Cameo! Have a sparkly day, Karon! :o)

    Hugs and blessings!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Karon,

    This is SOOO cute!!! I first have to say good job hubby for getting you a Cameo! Then, your project is AWESOME!!! And thanks for the trick with the clear shelf liner!!! I will use that next time I do vinyl!!

    Great job!!

    Crafty Hugs,
    Jessica
    www.ourkreativekarma.blogspot.com
    www.craftinandstampin.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  24. Motivational mommy! Awesome! :)

    ReplyDelete
  25. Karon, This turned out soo totally adorable! Love the colors and how you did the sides, too! Thanks for joining us over at Our Kreative Karma!

    Hugs,
    HL
    http://heathernovinger.blogspot.com/
    http://www.ourkreativekarma.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  26. This is darling! I love it!! Thank you so much for joining us over at Our Kreative Karma.
    Marji-dt

    ReplyDelete
  27. So beautiful Karon! Love all the special touches!

    Susie

    ReplyDelete
  28. what a fun idea, it turned out beautiful!!!
    love the color too!
    hugs & blessings

    ReplyDelete
  29. WOW everyone - thanks for all the fab comments :-)))

    ReplyDelete
  30. This is awesome.....Love the butterfly.
    Lisa

    ReplyDelete
  31. all I can say is... LOVE! Great project and your butterfly is just beautiful She is a lucky girl! I think that would be more of a distraction than a motivator for studying if that was in my room! It is so pretty and I would look at it all day! (lol!)

    ReplyDelete
  32. This is a great project! Thanks so much for joining us in the Cuttin' and Stampin' challenge! I bet this really motivates your daughter!
    Teresa
    www.createenjoyshare.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  33. Super cute!
    Thanks for joining the Cuttin and Stampin challenge!
    <3 Pam, C&S DT

    ReplyDelete
  34. Super cute wall hanging. I just wanted to say thanks for entering in the Challenge over at Our Kreative Karma! I am a new follower!

    Sarah
    craftingwithsarah.blogspot.com
    Our Kreative Karma dt

    ReplyDelete

I would like to thank you for stopping by my blog today. All your comments are really appreciated. Happy crafting everyone and have a great day.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...