Friday, 15 February 2013

Hmmm! Shabby Chic?

Hi all my bloggie friends.  How are you all?  Are you all having a great week?  Today is the day for a new challenge over at Polka Doodles.  This weeks challenge is Shabby Chic!  Now I have to admit to being a little stumped on this one, and I had to use Google to find out what it's all about.  Apparently, Shabby Chic is  a distressed/worn look (hey that means I'm a Shabby Chic LOL), with lace and flowers.

Anyway, here is my first attempt at this style of card.


My papers are from the All Sewn Up section of the Studio 12 Picknix Collection 1 CD.   I used a scissors to distress the edges of the layers and then edged them with Tim Holtz Tea Dye Distress Ink.


For the flowers, leaves and sentiment, I used the new Cherryblossom Lane CD.  I printed out the flowers and leaves in different sizes and then used my Silhouette Cameo to cut them out.  I also inked these a little with the distress ink, layered them up three times for the larger flower and twice for the small flower and then added a little pearl dot to the centres.  Also, used my stylus on the leaves to add a little dimension.

Also, to let you know that Nikky has put a sale on at Polka Doodles for February, and all the CD's are £9.99 (approx $16), postage is free, worldwide, on any purchase of £10 or more, so just add a little embellishment pack and there you have it free postage.  


For the sentiment, I distressed the edges too and added some ink.  Then added some lace, a lace bow, and some pearl dots to finish off.  For the inside I used complimentary papers and also distressing these too.  The stamp of the flower is from a CTMH stamp set called Blessed.


So, what do you think?  Is it Shabby Chic?  Or just me being distressed!  I did like the effect that the scissors gave to the edge, maybe I will invest in a proper tool.

I hope you will all give this challenge a try, so head on over and enter this week.

This card is being entered in the following challenges.

Sandy's Craft Creations - February Anything Goes - Birthday! (closes 28 Feb)

Joyful Stamper: Inspire Me Fridays #96 - Anything Goes (closes 21 Feb)

Thanks for stopping by.

Happy crafting.

32 comments:

  1. fabulous card Karon - those flowers are stunning! (yes, think I must be shabby chic too...!)
    Kim x

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think it's a difficult theme but you've done a good job there Karon. I love the colours and those flowers are fab. Distressing inks give the right touch. Hugs Polly x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful Karon. I think you nailed the theme. Loving those flowers.

    Hugs Nana
    ♥ My Crafting Channel ♥

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is gorgeous Karon!! I think you did an awesome job with this challenge!!!!
    Thanks for sharing and happy Friday!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Gorgeous card - and your flowers are so perfect.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Its beautiful!! I love distressing.. and this is fantastic! I love the colors! And that stamp you used on the inside. You always inspire me.. I need to start decorating the inside of my cards!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Worn edges and inking are the best on Shabby Chic cards and I think yours is beautiful. The papers you chose and the fantabulous arrangement of flowers look WONDERFUL! :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is absolutely gorgeous, Karon!! It is shabby and beautiful!! The colors are so pretty and the flowers are fabulous!! What an awesome card my friend!! Happy Friday :)

    Lisa
    http://indymermaid.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. Your card is beautiful! If that's shabby chic then I love that style! I often have to google to make sure I know what a certain "style" is. Yours is beautifully shabby chic!
    ~sandy
    visit my blog @ sandy's crafty creations

    ReplyDelete
  10. This is just gorgeous,fab lace and colours.xxx

    ReplyDelete
  11. Beautiul flowers and the color combo is so sweet!Gorgeous card!LOVE it!
    Have a wonderful weekend,
    Migdalia

    ReplyDelete
  12. Score! You achieved Shabby Chic in my book. Nice job on the edges without a "proper" distress tool. Maybe you've got it right and we all don't need the latest gadget! Nice job.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Love the beautiful colors. Gorgeous flowers.

    ReplyDelete
  14. you nailed the shabby chic look on this amazing. Love your color choices and your stunning flowers.....what did we ever do before google...have a great weekend. Karen

    ReplyDelete
  15. Beautiful card Karon! I agree with Karen, you nailed it. Those flowers are gorgeous. Have a wonderful weekend my friend!!

    ReplyDelete
  16. So pretty Karon, I love the soft colors!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Great card Karon.
    Love the flowers they are gorgeous.
    As for the distress tool, I have the Tim Holtz one and honestly I still like the look and to use my scissors.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Stunning !!!! The flowers are beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Thank you all so very much - I see distressing the edges more in my future:-) Have a great weekend everyone.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Hey there Shabby Chic!!!! You nailed it and to think it's your first! I can't wait to see what else you will do for Shabby chic is my favorite style!! Love the colors and the flowers and great job distressing!! I use my craft blade!! hugs

    ReplyDelete
  21. Beautiful card Karon.
    I love your colors. TFS.
    D-
    dmcardmaker (at AOL)

    ReplyDelete
  22. My dear friend, this is gorgeous! I have a hard timing defining shabby chic/vintage style, too. I absolutely love your card, Karon. The design is so pretty and I love those gorgeous flowers! The pearly centers are extra lovely and I just adore all of that lace. Beautifully made, as always! I hope you're having a sparkly weekend! :o)

    Hugs and blessings!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Wow, girl....you nailed it! Great job, gorgeous card!

    ReplyDelete
  24. I had trouble with this card too, but you've pulled it off beautifully! Love those flowers. Have a great weekend, Karon.
    hugs,
    Asha

    ReplyDelete
  25. Beautiful card Karon! Love the look, and those flowers are gorgeous!

    Susie

    ReplyDelete
  26. Karon - you are amazing!! This card is shabby chic in all it's glory my friend!! Love the colors, lace, flowers (love these!), and love the inside too. Gorgeous.
    Blessings,
    Audrey

    ReplyDelete
  27. Very pretty card, love the flowers.

    ReplyDelete
  28. Oh Karon......your card is so shabby and very pretty! Love the distressed edges and the gorgeous cluster of flowers. Love what your doing with the silhouette!

    ReplyDelete
  29. Thanks everyone - love your comments:-)

    ReplyDelete
  30. I know I've already commented on your card and I really do love it! It is shabbily perfect! And I'm so glad you linked it to my challenge and I must say...Thanks for sharing this with my Happy Birthday challenge at Sandy's Crafty Creations. :)
    ~sandy
    visit my blog @ sandy's crafty creations

    ReplyDelete

I would like to thank you for stopping by my blog today. All your comments are really appreciated. Happy crafting everyone and have a great day.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...