Tuesday, 19 March 2013

Owl Love you!

Hi all my crafty peeps.  It's my turn to share over at She's A Sassy Lady for my monthly visit, thanks Sheila,  and of course I get to share with you too :-)

Sorry for the distinct lack of posts over the last week, it was March break and going away with the girls for a few days sort of scuppered any craft room play time. Although, as you know, it was worth it and I enjoyed the time we had together.  Sunday, I did a little tidy up ready for the girls going back to school yesterday.

I spent yesterday morning in the craft room, having a play around and finally came up with this card. Hmmm, wonder who its for ;-)


I wanted to share with you, how I made the metallic background.  Firstly, I have to show you what I used!  You can get it in Lowes and it is near where they keep the other shelf savers, you know the plastic you can can put on your shelves to protect them.  This roll cost around $10.


Firstly, I cut a piece of cardstock and then covered it with the peel and stick.


The I cut this to the size I wanted, which was 4.5" by 3".


Now I didn't want it all shiny and new, so I decided to use my Spectrum Noir markers (TN7 & TN8) to make it look a bit rusty.


I used the TN7 first, going over the peel and stick every couple of inches, then using the sponge to dab it lightly.  You have to work quite quickly, as the alcohol marker dries quite fast.  Do this until you cover the whole piece.


Next, I did the same thing with TN8 marker.


As I said, it dries really quickly, so I then ran it through my Cuttlebug, with a new purchase folder by Sizziz Tim Holtz Alterations called Riveted Metal.


Doesn't it look like rusty metal.  So pleased with how it turned out.  Next I cut the piece into 6 equal pieces.


Then I used my ATG gun and placed these on a piece of backing paper from my stash.


Then all I had to do was layer it up on my card.  The owl stamp was from the $1.50 bucket at Michaels and was perfect for what I wanted. I stamped it with Memento Tuxedo Black and then I used two brads to accentuate his eyes.  He is then placed up on pop dots and added to the centre of the card.


I also added another four brads to the four corner pieces. I inked all the edges of all layers and for the inside, I used the same papers and also found another little owl to stamp.  


I hope you like the result that I got with the peel and stick, it's so nice to work with and embosses beautifully.

This card is being entered in the following challenges.

My Craft Spot - Monday Challenge #91: Embossing or Glossing Accents (closes 25 Mar)

Frosted Designs - Fabulous Friday Challenge: Up Up and Away (closes 28 Mar)

Flutter By Wednesdays - Challenge #231: Any Winged Creature (closes 19 Mar)  

Seriously Creative Challenge Blog - March Challenge: Anything Goes (closes 31 Mar)

Tuesday Alchemy - Challenge #52: Anything Goes (closes 25 Mar)

Challenges 4 Everybody - Challenge #16: Anything Goes (closes 29 Mar)

Sentimental Sundays - Challenge #146: Anything Goes (closes 23 Mar)

Love to Create - Challenge #57: Anything Goes (closes 24 Mar)

The Shabby Tea Room - Challenge #158: Anything Goes (closes 24 Mar)

Every Day is an Occasion - Sunday {Fun}day #7 Linky Party (closes 31 Mar)

Thanks for stopping by today

Happy crafting.

38 comments:

  1. Such a GREAT card Karon! I LOVE the embossed background and CUTE owl!!
    Andy will LOVE it!!
    Thanks for sharing and have a GREAT Tuesday!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is beautiful,love the techniques you have used.xxx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Holy Cow Karon - what an amazing creation!!!!!!! I cannot believe how easy it looks to create wonderful distressed metallic panels. I'm guessing that Copics would work in place of the Spectrum Noir markers too. So gorgeous in a masculine sort of way. Beautifully done - thanks for the inspiration!
    Hugs,
    Audrey

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is fabulous, Karon!! The rusted metal background looks amazing!! Thanks for the tutorial!! And the owl is so sweet!! What a gorgeous card!! Have a great day :)

    Lisa
    A Mermaid's Crafts

    ReplyDelete
  5. Awesome idea Karon... love that background metallic look...
    TFS - enjoy your wonderful day and thanks for the tutorial...

    ReplyDelete
  6. THIS IS SOOOOOO COOL KARON! what a great tutorial as well! Love this idea!

    ReplyDelete
  7. A very BEAUTIFUL card! Great idea! I learned something new...TFS
    Have a Wonderful Day,
    Migdalia

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is quite lovely Karon! I absolutely adore the embossing folder you decided to use. The color scheme works perfectly with your stamp too!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love this technique with the markers and the end result is beautiful.

    Karen B.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Amazing, love the metal backgrounds. TFS

    Have a great day.
    Hugs Nana
    ♥ My Crafting Channel ♥

    ReplyDelete
  11. That's fantastic. Love the folder. Made a fabulous card. You made a great tutorial.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oooh, Karon! This is genius and so perfect for a sweet masculine card. :o) The metallic background is AMAZING and so perfectly done. Thank you for the wonderful tutorial on this fantastic technique. :o) The owl is precious.. clearly you've made her a very happy home! Marvelous card as always, my friend! I hope you have a sparkly and beautiful day! :o)

    Hugs and blessings!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Wow Karon this is wonderful love the tutorial. I am going to have to try this, I normally use aluminum foil for my metal look but this looks great. Thanks for sharing your tut.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Very cool background technique! It looks amazing, thanks so much for sharing!! Beautiful card too :D Have a Terrific Tuesday!!

    ReplyDelete
  15. So creative! Very nice! Thank you for playing along with my Flutter By Wednesday Challenge!

    ReplyDelete
  16. This is Fabulous Karon! Seriously, I've never seen this done and I love it! May have to see if my Lowe's has that stuff. Thanks so much for sharing and love the owl card!
    ~sandy
    visit my blog @ sandy's crafty creations

    ReplyDelete
  17. What a remarkable background and tutorial , sooooooooooo loving the metal background and how you did it...what an awesome embossing folder!!! Oh yes we certainly do know who it's for, lol.....amazing masucline card Karon!! hugs and so nice to see you back, yipeee!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Thanks so much everyone - love how this turned out, shows what you can get upto when we have time to play - sorry craft!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Wow!!! This is so awesome!!! I LOVE the metal.. Love that embossing folder too!! So great!! I'm so glad you got a couple of days with your girls :) *hugs*

    ReplyDelete
  20. Fantastic job with all the techniques, it turned out wonderfully! Thanks for sharing it with us at The Shabby Tea Room!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Great card!!
    Not sure if this is the same stuff I had used before...I call it dryer tape.
    Works wonderfully for embossing.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Karon I love this technique!!!
    Your card is wonderful. TFS.
    Now I NEED to go shopping. lol
    Have a wonderful day.
    D-
    (thanks for stopping by and leaving all of the nice comments)

    ReplyDelete
  23. You're always up to something interesting! I love this idea! I was so scared to see what you used to mount those plates when I first saw the picture! lol

    ReplyDelete
  24. Very nice! Love the way the "metal" looks -- such a fun technique! So glad you are joining us over at Frosted Designs for our Up and Away challenge :)

    ReplyDelete
  25. Fabulous card Karon and the technique is very nice. Thanks for the tutorial too!

    Have a great day!!

    Susie

    ReplyDelete
  26. Now that is SUPER creative Karon. Awesome job on this masculine card o' love and thank you SO much for sharing the very innovative tutorial. I love it!!!

    ReplyDelete
  27. Super card - inside and out! Your technique is fabulous and looks so sharp!

    Thanks so much for playing along with us at My Craft Spot!

    Kate
    Small Bits of Paper

    ReplyDelete
  28. omg that metal looks amazing love that technique you nail it....ha ha bad pun....Karen ;)

    ReplyDelete
  29. Cool card! Thank you for joining us this week at Love to Create Challenge Blog.
    Ruza, LTC DT

    ReplyDelete
  30. OMG, Karen!!! I saw this over at Sheila's and I love this peel and stick technique!!! Your card looks fantastic! This is a "gotta try" on my list! TFS.

    ReplyDelete
  31. So nice to see you join us in the Tea Room Karon. Wow...love the technique you have used, great results, fabulous card!

    ReplyDelete
  32. Fabulous card design, and a great tutorial. Thanks for joining the Sentimental Sundays Challenge!

    ReplyDelete
  33. Wow! This is great!! Love all the work and detail you put into this! Carri~Abusybee

    ReplyDelete
  34. Love your technique..love your color!! Thank you for sharing with us over at love to create challenges.
    Amanda LTCDT

    ReplyDelete
  35. Great card.

    Thanks for sharing at Love To Create this week.

    Susan

    ReplyDelete
  36. This is great Karon, I love the texture your background piece adds!

    ReplyDelete
  37. great technique! thanks for sharing with us at Frosted Designs xx

    ReplyDelete

I would like to thank you for stopping by my blog today. All your comments are really appreciated. Happy crafting everyone and have a great day.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...