Wednesday, 3 April 2013

New to me technique (1) - Inking a Cuttlebug folder.

Hi everyone - it's my turn to share something new over at Pams blog - The Bug Bytes and of course here with my wonderful followers.

This time I thought I would try something new to me.  I recently acquired some lovely CTMH ink stamp pads and I had been wanting to try this technique for a while.  I had to go out and buy myself a brayer, so that I could give this a try.

Firstly, I decided to use the Cuttelbug folder called Juli's Garden.  And using the brayer I inked up the folder, using a CTMH Cranberry ink pad, placed a piece of card stock in it and then ran it through the Cuttlebug.

Now depending which side of the folder you ink up, you will get two totally different looks.


I can never remember which one you call emboss and deboss LOL!  So, when you open the folder, if you ink the top half you will get this result.


If you ink the bottom half you will get this result.


Also, depending how much ink you put on will result in either a really dark or a faded look to your paper. It's purely your choice.

For my card I used the top half of my embossing folder and a little less ink.  The piece I used is sitting behind the image, which is a Cuddlebug Cuties image called MacKayla by Anna Stillwell.  Anna is so generous and regularly posts fabulous freebies for everyone to use.


The image is coloured with my Spectrum Noir markers and cut out using my Silhouette Cameo.


The sentiment that I used is from a stamp set that I recently won from Scrappy Moms stamps.  The set is called Hooray for Birthdays.  I added three little brads to the right of the image and then a little button and some embroidery thread to the sentiment.


For the inside of the card I used the same papers as the front, unfortunately, I can't trace where the papers came from as they have been in my stash a very long time.  All the edges of all my layers on this card were inked with the same CTMH Cranberry Ink as the embossed piece.


So there you have it.  One new card with a new to me technique.

I would like to thank you all for your wonderful comments and support last week.  All your ideas and encouragement on how you get your mojo back were fabulous.  I have taken note!!

We had a lovely long weekend with Andy being home for Easter.  We all got together on Friday and watched the film The Hobbit.  It was fabulous, but can't wait till the next instalment.

Saturday was a little retail therapy - nothing exciting just some things we needed to get done.

Sunday we had friends over for lunch.  We did a lamb roast and boy was it yummy.  They have two young children of 4 and 2, so my teens set up an Easter egg hunt for them in the morning and after dinner that's what they did, whilst us adults had a natter :-)

Monday, Andy went back to Winnipeg :-(  But, I think I am in the right frame of mind this time to be able to get some crafting done.  Especially with all your fab ideas to help me.

This card is being entered in the following challenges.

Simon Says Stamp Challenge Blog - Challenge Simon Says Happy Birthday! (closes 10 Apr)

Eureka Stamps - Challenge #33: Stripes or Circles (closes 7 Apr)

Forever Friends Challenge Blog - Fortnightly Challenge #48: Girls (closes 7 Apr)

Craftin Desert Diva's - Cut it up and Link it up Linky Party #3: Cute as a button (closes 14 Apr)

Challenges 4 Everybody - Challenge #17: Anything Goes (closes 12 Apr)

Simon Says Stamp & Show - Challenge April 1st: Anything Goes (closes 7 Apr)

V's Sweet Ideas - Challenge #10: Anything Goes (closes 30 Apr)

Lacy Sunshine Challenge Blog - Challenge #5: Anything Goes (closes 13 Apr)

Thanks for stopping by today.

Happy crafting.

37 comments:

  1. Beautiful card. Great colors and the image is adorable and colored perfectly. I have seen the technique for inking the folders but never tried it. It sure is a nice, maybe I should.

    TFS!!

    Have a creative day.
    Hugs Nana
    ♥ My Crafting Channel ♥
    ♥ 2 Creative Chicks ♥

    ReplyDelete
  2. I too have never tried the technique myself, but I love the colors you used to make this stand-out card!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Gorgeous card,love this technique.xxx

    ReplyDelete
  4. such a GREAT techniqu Karon! I will have to remember this and give it a try!!
    Your card turned out adorable :)
    Love the image and pattern papers!
    Thanks for sharing and have a GREAT hump day!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Gorgeous card Karon, great job and great tutorial.

    ReplyDelete
  6. LOL..I can never remember which side to put on the top either, but either way they always turn out groovy. I LOVE that you tried this technique and the color you chose is sensational for a warm Spring feel. Gorgeous card and way to go Karon! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'd have picked the darker version myself. Notice that I, too, avoided using the emboss/deboss reference :) Your card is gorgeous and I just love the Cameo cutting out your colored images. Beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Absolutely gorgeous card, Karon!! Both techniques look amazing!! The image is so sweet and I love the design!! Have a great day my friend :)

    Lisa
    A Mermaid's Crafts

    ReplyDelete
  9. Beautiful card, love all the rich texture and wonderful technique! Have a fabulous day my friend :D

    ReplyDelete
  10. Fabulous card and a new idea to me too! I don't own a brayer. Do I need one? How did you use it on this technique. Maybe I better go read your post again. Ha, ha.
    ~sandy
    visit my blog @ sandy's crafty creations

    ReplyDelete
  11. Great technique, Karon. The card is adorable. Glad you are feeling like crafting again.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Ahhh! Love your card and awesome tutorial!!! I have been wanting to do this but need a brayer.... it is easy to get mixed up in which is the embossing side and debossing....you had me so curious as how say it I ran and got a folder , played and examined it... LOL... You could say that the "top folder with the title Cuttlebug" is the embossed side and when that side is inked the raised area will be white, and the "Bottom part of the folder is debossed side" and when that side is inked the debossed area will be white.. of course if you use white cardstock!! it is still hard on the brain but it explains it, thank you for waking me up! hehe

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Actually - its the other way around - the raised area is what is inked the white would be the uninked parts LOL! I know confusing isn't it:-)

      Delete
  13. Fun and great technique Karon, I really need to do it more often:) You card looks beautiful with the embossing and give it fabulous texture! Thank you for stopping my my friend, have a fabulous day!!
    Hugs,
    Norma

    ReplyDelete
  14. This is a fancy way of doing it! Never thought of inking them up, I was more afraid of staining them and wouldn't be able to re-use them again..... Hummmm a great technique in sharing..... Lovely card too!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Your Card turned out Great! I just tried this Technique last week for the first time. I Love how it looked on the Baskets that I made. I will be doing this Technique a lot more. Thanks for Sharing! :0)
    cindys-greencricut.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  16. This is a cute card. The image is adorable and I love your colouring on it.
    I have seen this ink/embossing a year or so ago...and you know what, I haven't tried it yet myself ;)

    ReplyDelete
  17. How pretty! Love the technique you used - beautiful results! The colors are fabulous and I love the added dimension.

    ReplyDelete
  18. This is just adorable. Love the technique. I'm going to have to try it. Thanks so much for joining us at Craftin Desert Divas "Button" Linky Party.


    Tara
    www.craftindesertdivas.com

    ReplyDelete
  19. This is just gorgeous! Love the orange and pink together and the embossing and inking effect is fab. Great image and colouring too.

    Thank you for joining us over at the Lacy Sunshine Challenge. Good luck.
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  20. wow I love that look! I have seen this on some youtube videos too. I will have to try it. Your colors are beautiful. Karen

    ReplyDelete
  21. I have so wanted to try this!! And wow!!! Its gorgeous!!! Thanks for the inspiration!! Beautiful beautiful card as usual.. and your AWESOME inside!!!

    Glad that Andy was home with you for Easter!! That is awesome :) I just watched the Hobbit this weekend too... It was fantastic!!! Can't wait for the next one!! I never read the book so I had no idea what a great story it was too!! And I think they film it in New Zealand... wow!! Stunning there isn't it!!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Time to get my brayer out and use it to be more creative......At the moment I'm using it to roll my paper flat on my cricut mat that is loosing its stick. I originally bought it for this technique....thanks for the reminder. Great card, love the bright spring colours!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Thank you all so much :-)

    ReplyDelete
  24. Love that you shared this technique! Thanks for the inspiration. I will try this.Very BEAUTIFUL!!Awesome job my friend!
    Have a wonderful day,
    Migdalia
    ♥ Crafting With Creative M ♥
    ♥ 2 Creative Chicks ♥

    ReplyDelete
  25. What I said earlier my friend. Thanks for linking up with Craft It up & Link It Up

    Have a great day.
    Hugs Nana
    ♥ My Crafting Channel ♥
    ♥ 2 Creavtive Chicks ♥


    ReplyDelete
  26. BEAUTIFUL WORK! Thanks so much for linking up with us over at Simon Says Stamp and Show this week! - Ashli :)

    ReplyDelete
  27. Hi Karon!
    Sorry, I'm just now getting around. Busy week at work, Grrrr! Super cute card. I'm like you, I love when I discover something new that I'm sure has been around. I love this technique and will give it a try. It made the perfect background for your lovely image. Great coloring as always!! Love coming by to see what you're up to!

    Susie

    ReplyDelete
  28. Karon, it's lovely!!! You did a terrific job brayering your embossed panel!!! I've did similar but I went directly from the inkpad to the embossing folder, I bet brayering is much smoother and easier -- I'll be drying that!

    Thanks for stopping by today and commenting... always glad to see you, my friend!

    Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  29. Great technique...but remember the clean the folder immediately and thoroughly....don't ask me how I know that!
    Fab choice of colours and the image is beautifully coloured too!
    xxxAsha

    ReplyDelete
  30. Gorgeous card and thanks for the info on this technique, I have never tried it yet but you have inspired me to have a go, so thanks for that
    Thanks for joining in with our One for the girls challenge at Forever Friends and good luck
    Julie x
    My blog
    Pennys Challenges DT member
    Digi Darla DT member
    Forever Friends DT member
    Brown Sugar Challenges DT member
    Fashionista DT member
    Lady Annes stamp challenge DT member

    ReplyDelete
  31. Pretty cool technique. I'm going to have to try that sometime!

    ReplyDelete
  32. Wow Karon amazing work, love that technique and love those colours.

    ReplyDelete
  33. Fantastic tutorial, I must try this out :) Gorgeous card too!

    Thanks for joining our Fortnightly Challenge at Forever Friends Challenge Blog :) Good luck and hope to see you again soon.

    Tanya xx

    ReplyDelete
  34. Gorgeous card Karon, I love the embossing and the image is lovely.
    Thanks for joining us at Simon Says Stamp
    hugs Mandy xx

    ReplyDelete

I would like to thank you for stopping by my blog today. All your comments are really appreciated. Happy crafting everyone and have a great day.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...