Tuesday, 21 May 2013

New to me technique (3) - Smacking Acetate

Hi everyone.  Its time to share another new to me technique, and I am also sharing this with everyone over at Sheila's blog, She's a Sassy Lady.

This is called Smacking Acetate or I would prefer to call it "Messing around with ink and water!" LOL!

You can make some fabulous background papers or papers that you want to cut and make flowers - the uses for this are endless, and you get a unique result every time.

Here is my finished card.


Firstly, you will need a piece of acetate, either some water based markers or some re-inkers.  I used CTMH  water-based dye ink markers.  Some white paper, I used the Recollections white paper, you want something that is a little porous - to take the ink and water. A mini mister or water spray.


I found this technique by Gina K on Stamp TV, she uses re-inkers and here is a link to the video for this method.

I do not have any re-inkers, as such, so I used the markers instead and was still really pleased with the results I got.

So, cut a piece of card stock a little bigger than you actually need.  This will enable you to trim to your desired size afterwards.

Take you acetate, and as many markers as you want to use.  I chose 3 colours, that I felt I could work with. Don't do too many, or I think you will end up with just a muddy mess.

Now comes the fun part.  Just scribble randomly over the acetate with your markers.  I have done two to show you.



Get you water mister and spray gentle over the inks until you see that the whole area is wet, but not soaking.



Place you piece of paper (smack) down on top of the inked acetate and press out gently.  Lift the paper away and wait to dry - or use your heat gun.  Your acetate sheet can be just wiped clean and used again.


Here are the two papers, and I even tried it with some doilies.




Now all you have to do is use them on your cards.

For my card I used a 6" by 4" base and then layered up my papers.  The designer paper is from a stack by Me & My Big Ideas called Forever Water Colour.  The ribbon flower was made by my daughter Shannon.

The sentiment is from a set called Hooray for Birthdays by Scrappy Mom's, stamped using Memento Tuxedo Black.


For the inside I used the same papers and stamped a little flower in two of the corners.


I hope you will give this technique a go - it is so easy and yet so effective and of course unique every time.

Have fun.

Thanks for stopping by today.

Happy crafting.

22 comments:

  1. Cool idea! I have acetate sitting around, but I never use it! Maybe it's time! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a fun method - good excuse to inky and messy! Love the results, the colors are very pretty. I may have to give this one a try ♥

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a great technique Karon.... love your pretty card too!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Really cool technique. Pretty cards.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I, too, love this technique and particularly its results, so pretty! Thanks for your sweet comment on my blog, take care, Ira xox
    irascreacorner.blogspot.nl

    ReplyDelete
  6. The card came out beautiful, as always. Great technique. Thanks for the tutorial.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is gorgeous!! What an awesome technique!! Thanks for the fabulous tutorial...I will have to try this!! The colors look amazing!! Have a great day :)

    Lisa
    A Mermaid's Crafts

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Karon:) OMG! love this technique and will have to give it a try. The card are so beautiful and OMG love the doily. WOW! great job my friend:) Thank you for stopping by and have a great evening.
    Hugs,
    Norma

    ReplyDelete
  9. I like your name for it better!!! :) The watercolor look is absolutely stunning!!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Karon your card is gorgeous!!
    What a wonderful technique. TFS.
    I'm going to have to give it a go.
    Hugs to you my friend,
    D~
    http://designsbydragonfly.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  11. Such a pretty card and what a fun technique.
    I was taught this years ago at a CTMH party, but she used a page protector cut down the middle so it would fit a whole 12x12 piece of cardstock.
    Thank you for reminding me of this fun technique :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. This is absolutely gorgeous, Karon! I've seen it on Stamp TV but never got around to doing it...too lazy, I guess! But now you've inspired me with this number. It's fab...love love love the effect. Definitely worth the effort. Thanks for sharing.
    xxx Asha
    Sunny Summer Crafts

    ReplyDelete
  13. Beautiful! This is new to me too! Makes a really great color mix!

    TFS,
    Susie

    ReplyDelete
  14. Fabulous technique! Love your card! Thanks for sharing!! Oh, and this is new to me as well.

    ~sandy
    visit my blog @ sandy's crafty creations

    ReplyDelete
  15. Wow, this is really cool and I imagine that using any type of non porous surface would stand in for the acetate, a tile for example. I don't have any acetate but maybe will give it a try with the tile once I finally get a chance to. If it works I'll let you know (okay at least I'll hopefully remember to let you know).

    Hugs,
    Lisa

    ReplyDelete
  16. Your instructions are, as usual, spot on and easy to follow. I use my Craft Sheet to accomplish the same technique, but I think I'm going to have to switch to acetate. This way I can throw a "got to go smack me some acetate" over my shoulder on the way out to doing a craft night. It makes me sound much younger and tougher than I really am. Great card. Can't wait to see what you come up with next!

    ReplyDelete
  17. My dear friend, this technique is amazing and your resulting card is stunning! Just look at that color.. it's incredible! Your tutorials are always crystal clear and you select such fun (and diverse!) topics. Beautifully done as always, Karon! :o) I apologize for being behind, my friend... you know how I mentioned my special little gift for Ashley? It's taking me SO long and I still have a ton left to do. The month is winding down, so I've not been able to take breaks and step away to catch up with my crafty pals... I am so sorry. I need to keep pushing to complete this project on time, but will be back as soon as I possibly can. I miss you! Have a wonderful night, my friend!

    Hugs and blessings!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Fun technique, it's nice and messy! The card turned out beautiful too, thanks for sharing :D

    ReplyDelete
  19. Thanks so much everyone - hopefully will use this a little more:-)

    ReplyDelete
  20. One word....AWESOME, AMAZING, GORGEOUS!!! Okay, 3 words, but still.....
    Loved seeing the process here. TFS!! :)

    ReplyDelete

I would like to thank you for stopping by my blog today. All your comments are really appreciated. Happy crafting everyone and have a great day.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...