Thursday, 20 June 2013

A Normal Family - well, maybe!

Hi all my bloggie friends.  How are you doing today?  I have been having a great time in the craft room lately.

A friend of many is celebrating a birthday this weekend, and I decided to make a her a little fun gift. I gave it her yesterday, along with the card from earlier in the week.  She loved them both :-)


The tile is a 6" x 6" tile from Lowes, I think I paid around $3 for 4 of them.  I did search around for 4" x 4" but they only had white glossy.

I used my Silhouette Cameo for this project.  In Silhouette Design Studio, I made a square that was 5.75" x 5.75" and then found a good font and placed the wording inside that square.  That way I knew it would fit my tile.

Now, I only had white vinyl and I didn't want it to look so bright.  So I had an epiphany, and used my Spectrum Noir marker TN2 and coloured all over the letters.  It dry's really quickly and doesn't rub off.


I did it before weeding to make it easy to colour.

In the next photo, you can see the difference between the bright white vinyl and the actual coloured letters.


Once I had placed the lettering onto my tile, I gave it two coats of Modge Podge Matte, using my heat gun to dry it between coats.  I am so impatient :-)

Before I put the second coat on though, I used Tim Holtz Tea Dye Distress Ink around all the edges of the tile.  This not only gave it a lovely finish, but also got rid of the pale cream edges to the tile.  Then I applied the second coat, after heat setting the ink.  I also attached some white felt to the back, just using Scotch Quick Dry glue, it worked perfectly :-)


And there you have it - a great little gift.  If I can ever get my hands on some 4" by 4" tiles, I would love to make a little coaster set with some great sayings on.  I might even make myself one of these!

Thanks for stopping by today and thanks to Norma for the advice on the Modge Podge :-)

Happy crafting.

18 comments:

  1. such a GREAT project!!! Love all the distressing you did!
    Awesome job Karon

    ReplyDelete
  2. Stunning project...and a great little gift. Well done!
    xxx Asha
    Sunny Summer Crafts

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a GREAT gift. I am sure she will love it! Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful project Karon. I really like the uniqueness of using the tile and the effect of the Spectrum Noir pen use. Hugs.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That's a really cute idea! Love how it turned out!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a fun idea. What a nice gift. Coasters would be great, too. TFS.
    D~
    http://designsbydragonfly.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. You've made a lovely gift for your fried, Karon. Nice job! I'm sending this post off to my friend with a Silhouette. She'd love it!

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is so creative and awesome!! I love how you colored the letters!! They look amazing!! What a fabulous gift my friend!! Have a great day :)

    Lisa
    A Mermaid's Crafts

    ReplyDelete
  9. fabulous Karon! and just love that wording lol!
    Kim x

    ReplyDelete
  10. This turned out fabulous, Karon. What a great gift idea.

    ReplyDelete
  11. My talented friend, this is such a marvelous idea! I love that you altered a tile.. and you did it so beautifully. The letters look amazing with the coloring, as does the inking along the tile edges. So many fantastic idea with this fun project, Karon! Wonderful idea and so beautifully crafted! :o)

    Hugs and blessings!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wow, this is awesome.
    Love that saying, to cute, yet true in this household anyway, lol

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thanks so much everyone :-)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Karon, that came out awesome. Love it.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Another really neat idea. I wish I could spend some of my time in your brain to take advantage of all that creative goodness!

    ReplyDelete

I would like to thank you for stopping by my blog today. All your comments are really appreciated. Happy crafting everyone and have a great day.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...