Friday, 7 June 2013

An Itsy, Bitsy, Teenie, Weenie - not a bikini - Gift box :-)

Hi everyone.  No, it's not a yellow polka dot bikini, although there are polka dots LOL!

This week I had to share a tutorial over at Polka Doodles and I decided to make a little gift set.  The challenge for this week was to use those scraps, no scrap pieces bigger than 2" by 2".

My birthday cards are 3" by 3" and I decided I would share with you how to make up a small gift box to hold 6 cards and envelopes.  Grab a cup of tea or a coffee and lets begin :-)


My patterned papers were all cut at 2" by 1" and rotated around the centre of the card.  Then a flower added to the centre.  The patterned papers are all from A Double Sprinkle of Kraft CD.  The flowers are from the Studio 12 CD - Picknix Collection 1 and the sentiments are from the Cherryblossom Lane CD.

And here is the gift box.  For those who follow my blog, you will recall that I made a box like this, last year, for cards that were 6" by 4" (envelopes 6.25" by 4.25"), click here. This little box will take 6 cards and envelopes (3.25" by 3.25").



To start with you will need an 8.5" by 11" (or a UK A4 piece of cardstock). For the tutorial I am using a white piece to show the score lines clearer, just choose a colour you would like to use.  Cut this down, so that it measures 7.5" by 9".5" and keep the cut off pieces for later.

Next make the following score lines, along the short edge, at 1", 2", 5.5" and 6.5".


Turn your paper and score along the long edge, at 1.5", 2.5", 6" and 7".


Remove corner pieces, your finished piece should look like this.  Note the tabs cut at the 2.5" mark on the long edge.


Use a corner rounder to finish off the corners indicated.


On the longest piece of your left over strips you will score as follows, this is going to be the belly band around the box.  Score at 2", 3", 6.5" and 7.5".


I used Kraft card stock for the box, now we are to decorate before assembling, it is a lot easier to do it this way.


Turn over you box to the inside and here are the positions for the double sided sticky tape.


And the first part to assemble, secure those tabs to the inside.





Wrap the belly band around the box.  Secure, not too tightly, you want to be able to take the band off and on. 


Next I added a flower to cover the join of the belly band.  The flower is from the Studio 12 CD - Picknix Collection 1, the floral paper is from Double Sprinkle of Kraft CD.


And there you have it.  A great little gift box, that will hold 6 cards and envelopes.

So why not take up the challenge this week. Make a card with those scrap pieces and go along and enter at Polka Doodles.  Don't forget, to be eligible for prizes you may only enter 10 challenges including Polka Doodles.  You have until Sunday 16 June (12pm GMT) to enter, plenty of time to get creative.

I am entering this in the following challenges.

Five Simple Things - Inspire Me Fridays #106: Anything Goes (closes 13 June)

4 Crafty Chicks - Challenge #145: Flowers (closes 11 June)

DL ART Thankful Thursday Link Challenge: June - Anything Goes (closes 30 June)

Thanks for stopping by today.

Happy crafting.

36 comments:

  1. Thank you so much for this tutorial Karon, I will let you know how mine turns out!! I had a chuckle over the title of your post and the typo mistake in the last paragraph, I think yoy will laugh when you find it hahahaha.. Have a a great day..love this box!!!! hugs

    ReplyDelete
  2. fabulous tutorial - will definitely be having a go at this! love the idea!
    Kim x

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a great tutorial and adorable gift set! Love all the scraps you used!!
    Awesome job! Thanks for sharing and have a GREAT Friday!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love this tutorial and your cards are just BEAUTIFUL!! a m going to scrap-lift this. Thanks for the inspiration.
    Have a wonderful day my friend,
    Migdalia
    ♥ Crafting With Creative M ♥
    ♥ 2 Creative Chicks ♥
    ♥ Silhouette Challenges ♥

    ReplyDelete
  5. WOW great tutorial and gorgeous cards and box.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is just gorgeous,love the design.xxx

    ReplyDelete
  7. Fabulous gift set. Love it. Great papers and the flowers are beautiful TFS my friend.

    Have a creative day.
    Hugs Nana
    ♥ My Crafting Channel ♥
    ♥ 2 Creative Chicks ♥
    ♥ Silhouette Challenges ♥

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a precious birthday gift. I love it. Thanks for showing the steps.
    Blessing hugs,
    Teresa

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great project.... Love the box and the design, it coordinates well with the cards. TFS

    ReplyDelete
  10. These are so cute! I will have to do this! Did you make your envelopes for the little cards and if so did you use a template? Love the gift box! You are fabulous for sharing how to make it!

    ReplyDelete
  11. This is fabulous. The small cards are so pretty and I love that box.

    ReplyDelete
  12. This is a great way to store those little cards.
    I love this idea :)
    I also like how you used your tiny scraps for the fronts of the cards :)
    Where do you find the tiny envelopes from?

    ReplyDelete
  13. This is too cute. Great idea to use up scraps.

    ReplyDelete
  14. a gorgeous little set!!!
    you are always so creative with your projects Karon!
    Thank you for sharing this @ Inspire Me Fridays!
    hugs

    ReplyDelete
  15. Oh my Karon, love love love it... I will have to snatch this cute idea from you..... Will try one out this weekend.....

    ReplyDelete
  16. Fantastic gift box! I love the pop of teal and bright colored flowers on the cards. Thanks for the tutorial!

    ReplyDelete
  17. What a wonderful gift set. The cards are beautiful and the gift box is fantastic. You've done it again! You instructions are so easy to follow. What a great post!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Absolutely gorgeous, Karon!! I love the papers you used!! Your tutorial is fabulous...thanks for taking the time to do it!! I will have to give this a try!! I love it!! Have a great weekend :)

    Lisa
    A Mermaid's Crafts

    ReplyDelete
  19. WOW thanks everyone - hope you will all give it a go :-)

    ReplyDelete
  20. I love that box it is so beautiful and the card wow what a fabulous gift! Karen

    ReplyDelete
  21. the flowers are so cute, karon! and thanks for the tutorial! gonna bookmark it!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Love this cute card set, Karon.
    Thanks so much for the wonderful tutorial.
    Hugs
    D~

    ReplyDelete
  23. Very cute set and a wonderful tutorial have a great weekend.

    DIANA L.
    http://dianamlarson.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  24. PS Have a wonderful weekend and
    Thank you for joining my DL.ART Thankful Thursday Anything Goes June Linky Party
    DIANA L.
    http://dianamlarson.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  25. Thanks for playing our flowers challenge at 4 Crafty Chicks, nicely done! Thanks for sharing this, wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  26. My talented friend, you may have just given me the push I need to make a little card set soon! It's been on my crafty list for quite some time and after seeing this perfect set, I think it needs to happen sooner rather than later. :o) Your tutorial is flawless, as always. (I am one of many who loves your tutorials.) The box is so pretty and I just adore the cards. The papers and designs are lovely. Beautifully crafted once again, Karon. This set is a joy! :o)

    Hugs and blessings!

    ReplyDelete
  27. What an awesome cute box of cards. Love the flowered pattern paper and the flowers on the cards. Super awesome. Thank you for sharing your flowers with us at 4 Crafty Chicks.

    ReplyDelete
  28. Love this, it really stood out in challenge, so had to come and see, good instructions too!!
    (Lyn)

    ReplyDelete
  29. Hi Karon,
    Wow these are simply gorgeous. I have been looking for a way to use my scraps & you have just given me the greatest idea. Thank you. I love the colours & the tutorial is wonderful. Thank you so much for sharing. Hugs, Lisa.

    P.S Would love for you to come, visit & like :)

    Dreamtime Designs: www.etsy.com/shop/DreamtimeDesigns
    Blog: http://dreamtimedesigns.blogspot.com.au
    Facebook: www.facebook.com/DreamtimeDesigns
    Twitter: https://twitter.com/DreamtimeDsigns
    Pinterest: http://pinterest.com/LisaWDesigns

    ReplyDelete
  30. Thank you all so very much!

    ReplyDelete
  31. Karon, I'll be featuring your lovely gift set this week @ Inspire Me Fridays, thank you so much for sharing!!
    hugs

    ReplyDelete
  32. This is such a lovely Idea, and it doesn't even require a whole lot of supplies! Thank you for sharing this, definitely inspires me!


    -sammi-
    Simple Salutations

    ReplyDelete
  33. Seriously, I didn't think I'd been under a rock THAT long!!! I can't believe how much you've been up to. All of your creations and projects are just so fantastically versatile and super inspiring. I LOVE this tutorial and your gift box for cards is wonderful!! I will be the first to admit that I love my silhouette, but it has made me lazy and I truly admire creations that are made 'old school' and this definitely qualifies. I love this very thoughtful organizer and gift set!!! It's just beautiful my friend. :)
    hugs,
    Lisa xx
    Now where did I put that ruler???? LOL

    ReplyDelete
  34. Thanks for the tutorial Karon, I used it to create the cards you'll find in this blog post http://www.creative-em.com/2013/07/pretty-minis.html. Of course I linked back to both your blog and to this post! Thanks again :)
    Em xxx

    ReplyDelete
  35. WOW! What an outstanding tutorial. I've downloaded the page for future use. I'm making some cards for my mom for Christmas but I think they'll be too big for this or even your bigger box one which I also just went and checked out. Thanks so much for sharing your amazing skills with us!

    P.S. The cards and box you created are just stunning. The recipient is going to be very lucky indeed.

    Hugs,
    Lisa

    ReplyDelete

I would like to thank you for stopping by my blog today. All your comments are really appreciated. Happy crafting everyone and have a great day.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...