Wednesday, 5 June 2013

Messy time #2 - I've been at it again!

Hi everypeeps.

Now then what have I been up to!  Yesterday I gave you a sneak peak, so I hope it's not too disappointing.

Well, let me tell you, that I decided to get messy again and I am sharing this with everyone over at The Bug Bytes blog today too.

So, todays bit of stuff is a bit of messy time in the craft room and here is what I ended up with.


I decided to try something a little different.  This is a 6" by 8" piece of artist board.  Firstly, I gave it two coats of Gesso.  After drying it with my heat gun, I then used some Tim Holtz Distress Stain in the following colours; clockwise, Victorian Velvet, Tumbled Glass, Bundled Sage and Mustard Seed.  Next time I think, I will use a little more ink.


Next up, I tore up some text paper and some handmade papers and just placed them randomly over the board.  Then stuck them down with Modge Podge.  Now I only had Satin Modge Podge, but think I will get some Matte for next time or some Glue n Seal.  Anyways, we use what we have at the time, don't we?


Now, I didn't really know where it was going, other than I wanted to include the words "Spread your wings and fly".  I typed up the words on my computer and just printed them off, then cut them out and stained them with Tim Holtz Tea Dye distress ink.  I also added some twine to make the swirls and outlined the swirls with my Spectrum Noir marker BT5.  Also added some swirls with just the marker too.  I then gave the whole thing a couple of coats of Modge Podge.


Finally, I used my Silhouette Cameo and cut out some butterflies in various sizes to add to the final piece.  The butterflies are from Birds Cards and I only secured them at their bodies.  I added some little Recollection gems, that have been coloured with the Spectrum Noir marker. 


Close up of one of the butterflies.


Here is another view to the side to show those butterflies and bling.  I think I should have chosen a different colour for the butterflies, instead of the text paper.


So there you go, a little bit of mess to share :-) And yes I know I have a long way to go, but it's a start :-)

Now, my bloggie friends, as this is a real departure from the norm for me and my first real piece of mixed media, so to speak, I would really like your opinions.   I know I will learn as I go along and that there is no real right or wrong, but I would really appreciate any advice/tips/techniques you can give me.

I would like to mention a few bloggie friends that have really inspired me to try something out of my comfort zone.

Norma of Little Honey Bee Studios - her mixed media art creations are just stunning.

Lisa of You Made Me Ink - she is always amazing me with her awesome creations and out of the box ideas.

Lisa of A Mermaids Crafts - her use of so many different mediums - to make the most awesome creations.

And last but not least, all my fabulous blog followers who come and comment and visit and leave me with a big smile on my face everyday.  I love coming to see you all and all the inspiration that you give me on a day to day basis - thank you.

Thanks for stopping by today.

Happy crafting.

28 comments:

  1. How awesome is this Karon!! Fab project!!! Love all the texture and fun elements you added!!!
    Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is terrific, Karon. Love the way it came out.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Getting a bit messy creating a work of art.........great job!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think it's super cute! A bit of a clean up I bet...but look at the results!

    Susie

    ReplyDelete
  5. Way to go stepping out of your comfort zone Karon, beautfiul card!!!! I love how you added the pieces of paper and the background is amazing... You will have to get messy again, this creative adventure is certainly one we would like to see more of!!!! hugs

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is a lovely bit of mixed media. I so admire the style and am drawn to it too. I know one of the things that I struggle with is creating a focal point. I think this is even more important when there's so much going on. I'm happier with my finished product if one thing stands out clearly as the focal point in the sea of details. Sometimes it is subtle, but usually I like it better if there is something that sets the focal point apart. I say keep it up. This is really nice and eventually your creation will fit your vision.

    ReplyDelete
  7. The texture is just beautiful! love that you share with us this technique...
    messy....Its BEAUTIFUL!!!!Absolutely Beautiful!!!!
    Have a wonderful day my friend,
    Migdalia
    ♥ Crafting With Creative M ♥
    ♥ 2 Creative Chicks ♥
    ♥ Silhouette Challenges ♥

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm sure that was messy to work on, but fun! And...gorgeous results! You've created a beautiful piece of art for you home and I say go for it!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Karon, your messy is fabulous. Thank you for sharing each step of the process. The finished product is stunning and so very artistic. The step by step inspires me to try something like this myself. I would never have known where to start in order to end up with something so beautiful. It is interesting to see how it slowly emerged. Really gorgeous work. I love it.

    ReplyDelete
  10. In addendum, I think the focal point is your sentiment and it stands out beautifully.

    ReplyDelete
  11. You ROCKED this, Karon!! Not messy - it looks amazing!! The colors are just gorgeous!! There are no rules in mixed media so keep on doing what you are doing - it's amazing!! You can't tell this is your first mm project!!

    Thank you so much for your sweet comments, too - you totally made my day :) Happy Wednesday my friend :)

    Lisa
    A Mermaid's Crafts

    ReplyDelete
  12. It looks gorgeous, love the colours and the texture you have achieved Karon.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Beautiful Card... Messy or not it is so creative... Love it! TFS

    ReplyDelete
  14. Karon- WAY TO GO with the mixed media!!! So so fun! You're inspiring me to try it! Smiles, Jill

    ReplyDelete
  15. This looks great Karon :)
    Good for you for going out of your creative comfort zone.
    I have wanted to get into mixed media for a while and just haven't made the jump. I think my problem is I don't like to get messy, as much as I like the look.
    Your projects are all so creative :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Awesome Karon, it is absolutely BEAUTIFUL my friend. You have master the art if mixed media.

    Have a creative day.
    Hugs Nana
    ♥ My Crafting Channel ♥
    ♥ 2 Creative Chicks ♥
    ♥ Silhouette Challenges ♥

    ReplyDelete
  17. What a pretty card Karon.. love how you take it to the next level..Me I just like it clean and simple.... LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Karon this is beautiful. Look at you challenging yourself. Well you aced it! TFS.
    Hugs
    D~
    http://designsbydragonfly.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  19. Thanks everyone - it's a first attempt - so I'm OK with it:-)

    ReplyDelete
  20. Awesome work and technique! Getting message is fun sometimes and can result in a beautiful creation like this one!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Loving the mixed media Karon, the mix of colors & textures is terrific!!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Gorgeous card Karon, love the elements.

    ReplyDelete
  23. so artist I love it. Karen

    ReplyDelete
  24. My dear friend, your 'messy' adventures are always a joy to behold! I love that you are broadening your horizons to include mixed media... I've seen some masterful creations with it that have piqued my interest, too. This project is stunning and I hope you see (and feel!) its beauty. :o) The colors and elements are gorgeous. Fantastic creation as always, Karon. How I love visiting you! :o)

    Hugs and blessings!

    ReplyDelete
  25. Boy, your 'messes' turn into incredible works of art. I wish my messes did but they just look like messes! I'm afraid I can't offer any tips but my advice is just keep doing what you are doing bec. you are doing it splendidly. Keep working with different concepts and just keep playing. I love that you shared the entire process behind your creation. I also totally agree with you about Lisa M. She is just amazing. I don't have words to describe what goes on with that woman and her art. She is definitely one of my crafting idols and I absolutely adore her. And it was funny, but as I was checking out your work, I actually thought about her bec. you are doing something I could easily see her doing.

    Keep up the fabulous work!

    Hugs,
    Lisa

    ReplyDelete
  26. Holy crap chica!! Excuse my bluntness, but I'm beaming over here with EXCITEMENT!!!! :D I love that you're venturing out to the mixed media and really giving yourself a go at new mediums. I for one LOVE your canvas and I thought about what you said with changing the texture of the butterflies, but I honestly don't think I would. Having them being of the same text paper is so symbolic of them leaving their origin and evolving. I did the same thing with the can of butterflies and leaving the original ones silver and so I think what you've done here is perfect and it leaves it to the observers imagination what they will become. It could be fun to have another canvas next to it to see their evolution...LOL. Before you know it, you'll have a wall in a museum and selling them for a fortune!! :D
    Kudos to you my friend...I love your creative mind.
    hugs,
    Lisa x

    ReplyDelete

I would like to thank you for stopping by my blog today. All your comments are really appreciated. Happy crafting everyone and have a great day.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...