Wednesday, 3 July 2013

Creating feeds the soul, and keeps me happy :-)

Hi all my wonderful crafty friends. It's my turn to share a creation over at The Bug Bytes this month and of course with all my wonderful crafty peeps here!

Yesterday it was time to take Andy to the airport, so he could fly back to Winnipeg.  We had a fabulous weekend together as a family and celebrating Canada Day.

To take my mind off him leaving, when I came back I decided to head off to the craft room.

Whilst popping around facebook, Great Impressions Stamps had posted on their page the following quote; (the quote is by Dieter F Uchtdorf)


And I just couldn't resist using this quote to make myself something for the wall in my craftroom :-)


I started off with a blank 8" by 10" artist board.  My paper is from a g.c.d studio, 12" by 12" Antiquities stack.  I cut it down to fit the canvas.


I laid it down, after coating my board with Modge Podge Matte, and also on the underside of my paper.  I used my brayer to make sure it was down secure.  I gave it two more coats of Modge Podge, then sanded the edges and went around the edge with Tim Holtz Distress Stain - Victorian Velvet.  


Next up, I went into Silhouette Design Studio.  I made a rectangle that was 8" by 10", this was used just to size the letters.  I used the Andalus font on my computer for the letters.  Here is a screen shot.


I coloured the white vinyl with a Spectrum Noir pen, CR2.  Here is a picture of the vinyl, all cut and weeded.


I then transferred the vinyl lettering to my board.  I did another layer of Modge Podge over this to give it a good seal.

Next came the flowers.  I am hoping to eventually do a video tutorial for these flowers, when I can figure out how to do the filming LOL :-)

I used flowers from a Recollections jar of mini flowers.

  

For the miniature roses and the iddy biddy roses, this is what I used.  The leaves for the bigger rose are from the Cricut Art Philosophy cartridge. I put a ruler (in cm's) down by the flowers, so that you could see the scale. 

                                 

Next, once the Modge Podge was dry (I used my heat gun, as I am too impatient), I added my flowers and leaves.


The spray of leaves is also from the Art Philosophy cart and the flower to the left, is just three of the little flowers layered and a seed bead added to the centre.


I am really pleased with how this turned out and loved making it :-)  

I am entering this creation in the following challenges.

Dream Valley Challenges - Challenge #60: Make your own flowers/embellishments (closes 12 July)

Red Carpet Studio - Challenge #43: 3D projects (closes 6 July)

2 Creative Chicks - Challenge #4: 3D projects (closes 31 July)

Hiding in My Craft Room - Challenge #104: Freestyle (closes 5 July)

Simon Says Stamp and Show - Challenge: Anything Goes (closes 7 July)

Die Cut Diva's Challenge Blog - July Challenge: Summer Flowers (closes 31 July)

Thanks for stopping by today.

Happy crafting.

37 comments:

  1. This is gorgeous Karon!
    I love the sentiment and the way you embellished your board is beautiful!!! Such a GREAT added decoration for your crafty space!!!
    Thanks so much for sharing!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a beautiful piece of décor. It's a lovely quote and the flowers are gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow Karon, this is absolutely fantastic! Great idea with getting straight into the craft room to take your mind off things. It worked hey :) This is not only a beautiful sentiment but also a beautiful piece of work. Now you have me thinking about my craft studio wall lol. It's looking a bit bland & boring. I might just 'lift' your idea :) Great idea with using the heat gun. I have had Modge Podge for a while now but have yet to use it. You have done a wonderful job. I love it! Thank you so much for sharing it with us :) Hugz, Lisa.

    Dreamtime Designs: www.etsy.com/shop/DreamtimeDesigns
    Blog: http://dreamtimedesigns.blogspot.com.au
    Facebook: www.facebook.com/DreamtimeDesigns
    Twitter: https://twitter.com/DreamtimeDsigns
    Pinterest: http://pinterest.com/LisaWDesigns

    ReplyDelete
  4. Absolutely beautiful! You are so talented.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Stunning, Elegant and a BEAUTY!!!Wow!! Love it! Saw it on FB!
    Would love if you joined us at 2 Creative Chicks.
    Have a wonderful day my friend,
    Migdalia
    ♥ Crafting With Creative M ♥
    ♥ 2 Creative Chicks ♥
    ♥ Silhouette Challenges ♥

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is awesome. Love the quote and might have to use it! Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you for your kind comment Karon. Wow what a fantastic project you've created...it's magnificent! Sarah

    ReplyDelete
  8. Gorgeous Karon. Love the sentiment, what a great inspiration for your craft room. LOVE IT. Thanks for linking up over at 2 Creative Chicks

    Have a creative day.
    Nana
    ♥ My Crafting Channel ♥
    ♥ 2 Creative Chicks ♥
    ♥ Silhouette Challenges ♥

    ReplyDelete
  9. So beautiful and what a wonderful quote!

    ReplyDelete
  10. This is beautiful and I love that quote, so true

    ReplyDelete
  11. Fabulous creation and a wonderful idea! Love the quote!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Beautiful creation Karon, love the sentiment and and those added flowers to your pretty board.. I'm sure this must be so pretty sitting on your table....

    ReplyDelete
  13. Karon this is truly stunning! The quote is perfect for the artist in each of us. Your layout is beautiful and those flowers are just amazing. What a lovely piece of art for your home ♥

    ReplyDelete
  14. Karon- this is so very lovely. I'm sure it will be hanging there inspiring you for a while. Tell Andy that if this is what you make when he leaves, he has to come home more often, ha ha. The entire thing is beautiful. We're both on a flower role, eh?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. flower roll... must be too early in the morning or I'm too hot already (suppose to be 112 degress today... happy to be in Canada, no?)

      Delete
  15. Karon~ this is GORGEOUS!
    I am so glad you all got to spend some family time together.
    Hugs
    D~
    http://designsbydragonfly.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  16. Very pretty and inspirational.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Karom this project is gorgeous! TFS!

    ReplyDelete
  18. What I said earlier...:-)
    Thank you for joining us at 2 Creative Chicks Challenges.
    Have a wonderful day,
    Migdalia
    ♥ Crafting With Creative M ♥
    ♥ 2 Creative Chicks ♥
    ♥ Silhouette Challenges ♥

    ReplyDelete
  19. Absolutely gorgeous, Karon!! The paper you used is so beautiful and the font is fabulous!! I just love the sentiment!! I'd love to have this hanging on my craft room wall!! So glad you had a great weekend with Andy!! Have a great day :)

    Lisa
    A Mermaid's Crafts

    ReplyDelete
  20. This is such a gorgeous project, Karon! :o) The paper is exquisite and makes such a lovely backdrop for the entire design. I love all of the flowers and the beautiful design. :o) Wonderfully crafted! :o)

    Hugs and blessings!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Absolutely stunning Karon. Love the way you've shared the progression of this plaque. It is delightful. Thanks for sharing this with us at Red Carpet Studio.

    ReplyDelete
  22. PS... this would also be awesome to enter into the challenge at Die Cut Divas ~ using your die cut machine and adding flowers to your creation

    Dawn
    Die Cut Diva

    ReplyDelete
  23. Thanks for all your fabulous comments my friends :-)

    ReplyDelete
  24. Beautiful! Thank you for the tutorial too.

    So glad to see you at the Die Cut Divas' challenge.
    Arlene
    Die Cut Divas

    ReplyDelete
  25. Very pretty! Thanks for playing along with RCS!

    ReplyDelete
  26. Beautiful! I love these papers, and your flowers are just wonderful! So lovely! Thank you for sharing your wonderful work with us here at Simon Says Stamp & Show!

    ReplyDelete
  27. Wow what a beautiful project!!!

    ReplyDelete
  28. Beautiful quote.........Gorgeous creation! I really enjoy seeing your creative cameo projects. Its so tempting...do you use your cricut any more?

    ReplyDelete
  29. Hi Karon! Wow! This is gorgeous! Thank you for playing with RCS! Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  30. Great project! Love all your amazing details on this! Carri~Abusybee

    ReplyDelete
  31. A masterpiece, Karon. A true labour of love. Love all the sweet details and flowers. Amazing!
    xxx Asha
    Sunny Summer Crafts

    ReplyDelete
  32. This my friend is completely awesome and so very true!! It turned our beautifuly!!

    Have a great day!!

    Susie

    ReplyDelete
  33. Great project. Always so happy to see everyone having fun in crafting.
    From the 2 Creative Chicks:)
    Tabitha
    The Desire to Create is one of the Deepest Yearnings of the Human Soul.
    Tabitha's Designs Blog
    Low priced fun Digi Papers and stamps:)
    Come join us at Craft Lovin for "Parents Day" Link up a "Parents Day" project and be in line for some great prizes:)

    ReplyDelete
  34. What a great project! This is amazing, that quote is wonderful & your project is just brilliant. Thank you for playing along with us at Die Cut Divas.

    ReplyDelete
  35. Another gorgeous artistic creation. I'd definitely be interested in seeing a tutorial on how you created these incredible flowers.

    ReplyDelete

I would like to thank you for stopping by my blog today. All your comments are really appreciated. Happy crafting everyone and have a great day.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...