Friday, 5 July 2013

Fairy Wings and Butterflies.

Hi everyone. Here we are at the end of another week, but at the beginning of a new challenge week 27 at Polka Doodles.  This weeks challenge is Make your Own Background, so get those thinking heads on and see what you can come up with.

For little bit of shared inspiration, I decided to do an inked background with some added butterflies and I will show you how I did this.  Here is my finished card.


For my background, I got some plain white card stock and three CTMH inks, Cranberry, Pear and Sunny Yellow. 


I used my blending tool and added the inks, first red, then green and finally yellow.  Think it looks a little bit like Saurons Eye from Lords of the Rings :-)


Anyways, back on track :-)  I then took a small Recollections Butterfly stamp and stamped over the blended ink, with the CTMH Cranberry.  I also double stamped a few, to get that faded look.  And there you have my background.


Then layered it up and added my image.


The striped paper and the image are from the new Bonbon Belles CD at Polka Doodles.  The sentiment stamp is from a Fairy Flutterfly Stamp set - Gracie.
  

I coloured this lovely image, Heather, with my Spectrum Noir markers.  She was cut out using my Silhouette Cameo.  The colours I used for my image are below.

Wings     FS3, CR1, CR5, CR8, DR5
Skin        FS2, TN2
Clothes   CR4, CR5, CR6
Hair        TN3, TN2, GB1

For the inside I used the same striped paper and layer card stock, and then added the butterfly stamp to two of the corners.


I hope you will pop along and enter this weeks challenge, get those creative heads on :-)

This card is being entered in the following challenges.

Crafting for All Seasons - Challenge #55: Make it Girly (closes 8 July)

2 Sisters Challenge Blog - Challenge #150: Stripes (closes 5 July)

Sentimental Sundays - Challenge #161: All things Digital (closes 6 July)

Moxie Fab - Tuesday Trigger: Scene in Tangerine (closes 14 July) I used the colours and the stripes from the trigger.
 

Thanks for stopping by today.

Happy crafting.

33 comments:

  1. Love the bold colours you used to create the background. And that image is just gorgeous. Hope you have a warm weekend!
    xxx Asha

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow Karon, you have done this beautifully. I love it. I haven't tried this before but will have to try one day. Thank you for the inspiration. It looks great :) Hugz, Lisa.

    Dreamtime Designs: www.etsy.com/shop/DreamtimeDesigns
    Blog: http://dreamtimedesigns.blogspot.com.au
    Facebook: www.facebook.com/DreamtimeDesigns - Free Giveaway
    Twitter: https://twitter.com/DreamtimeDsigns
    Pinterest: http://pinterest.com/LisaWDesigns

    ReplyDelete
  3. Gorgeous!! I love your coloring on the fairy...and the inside of the card is just as pretty as the outside!

    ReplyDelete
  4. WOW beautiful card. Love the effect you achieved blending the ink, the stamped stars perfect. Adorable image. LOVDE IT.
    Have a creative day.
    Hugs Nana
    ♥ My Crafting Channel ♥
    ♥ 2 Creative Chicks ♥
    ♥ Silhouette Challenges ♥

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love, love, love your background! So pretty and perfect with that adorable fairy image! Love the colors of your card. Very pretty!

    ReplyDelete
  6. A lovely card!! The background is just Gorgeous!! Sweet fairy!
    Have a wonderful day my friend,
    Migdalia
    ♥ Crafting With Creative M (my blog) ♥
    ♥ 2 Creative Chicks Challenges ♥
    ♥ Silhouette Challenges ♥

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is so pretty, Karon. I love the image and the beautiful background.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love how you did your background it frames Heather perfectly. Great coloring on her. Love your card. TFS.
    D~
    designsbydragonfly.blogspot

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a pretty layout. Your background sets your little fairy off just perfectly. Nice card! PS- Cloudy and hot here today though not as hot as the rest of the week. Thanks for the Independence Day wishes yesterday!

    ReplyDelete
  10. This is just gorgeous, Karon!! The background looks amazing!! And you colored the beautiful image perfectly!! What an awesome card my friend!! Happy Friday :)

    Lisa
    A Mermaid's Crafts

    ReplyDelete
  11. Beautiful, you have inspired me to have a play with my long forgotten inks.
    Thank you xx

    ReplyDelete
  12. This is absolutely gorgeous, Karon! I adore backgrounds that are made in this manner... you used such spectacular colors and I love that stamp. The image is equally marvelous and so beautifully colored. Amazing project, my talented friend! It's impossible not to smile when looking at this. :o)

    Hugs and blessings!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Such a gorgeous card! The fairy is just beautiful and that background is amazing! Looks like your fairy just glows with an inner light! Your coloring is just fabulous - I love everything about this card!

    ReplyDelete
  14. So pretty. Wish I could color.

    ReplyDelete
  15. This is gorgeous!!!! Love the background and beautiful image!!!
    Thanks for sharing and have a GREAT weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  16. gorgeous card and love the background paper!
    had to laugh about the 'sauron's eye' comment - you're speaking to a LOTR addict here!
    Kim x

    ReplyDelete
  17. Your card is so beautiful.
    I love how you made your own background and how the colours match perfectly :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. A beautiful card. What a terrific background, great colours. I love the fairy

    ReplyDelete
  19. Thank you all so very much!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Stunning card! You've colored and stamped the background beautifully! Thanks for the inspiration! =)

    ReplyDelete
  21. Oh Karon ....this is so so pretty. Love the background you created, love your gorgeous fairy...great colouring! Love how you cut her out with your cameo too!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Beautiful card. Love the fairies. You do a terrific job at coloring.

    ReplyDelete
  23. hey thanks always for your wonderful comments on my blog. Loved the background you created for this card.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Karon, this is fantastic! I love the image & your colours are fab!
    Thanks for playing at Crafting For All Seasons this time!
    Good Luck
    Hugs
    Dawn xx

    ReplyDelete
  25. Karen, beautiful! Lol about the eye. Not at all. Too pretty for that!

    ReplyDelete
  26. Hi Karon!! I hope you're having a wonderful summer :D I love your card, that image is adorable. I really like all the flowers in her wings.

    ReplyDelete
  27. Gorgeous! Love the technique you used and the super color combo! Carri~Abusybee

    ReplyDelete
  28. simply adorable! butterflies have a very special meaning to me!!

    ReplyDelete
  29. WOW everyone - thanks for stopping by :-)

    ReplyDelete
  30. Beyond Awesome Karon!!! Sorry, I'm behind on my bloggy visits. It's been a fun summer for us!

    Susie

    ReplyDelete
  31. Hey Karon! Thanks for linking this up to this week's Tuesday Trigger in the Moxie Fab World! I'm so glad you joined in on all the fun! :)

    ReplyDelete
  32. Love the warm colour palette you have gone with for this sweet card. You always put so much work into every single creation. You are amazing!

    ReplyDelete

I would like to thank you for stopping by my blog today. All your comments are really appreciated. Happy crafting everyone and have a great day.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...