Tuesday, 20 August 2013

A Creative Journey....The Beginning...

Hello there!  How are you all?  It is my turn to share a post with everyone here and over at She's a Sassy Lady for the monthly visit.

Today's post is a little look at the beginning of my Art Journal.  I bought this journal about 4 months ago and it has been sitting on the shelf, occasionally looking out at me and asking me if I was going to do anything with it.


This weekend past, I finally decided it was about time to treat it to a make over.  It started out as a little black journal.


I first took the cover off the journal to make it easier to work with and then gave it one coat of Gesso.


At this stage, I disappeared off for a few hours as I decided to take my girls to the cinema to see Turbo - great film by the way. 

When I came back it was completely dry.  Next up was to apply some acrylic paints; oh my goodness, I finally used paints!  I used (Daler & Rowney) Lemon Yellow, Orange and Portrait Pink.  All I did was put a few daubs of each colour, then I used my trusty Tim Hortons Coffee card :-) to scrape the paint here, there and everywhere.  


I used my heat gun to dry this off, although it wouldn't have taken long to dry, I wanted to get on.  Next I used a Faber Castell Big Pen Brush Magenta to write in some wording.  Also using Deep Scarlet Red to out line the flow.


Then I decided to get some stamps out.  Still using the Faber Castell pens, I inked up (used Scarlet Red) this stamp from Studio G and stamped randomly over the cover.  I used a Painters white pen and dotted the cross points of the stamp.


I found this flourish stamp by InkaDinkaDo and inked that up (with Faber Castell Magenta), and stamped some more.  I also went around the flow and made some loops, using Faber Castell Scarlet Red and Dark Chrome Yellow.


Using a Sharpie Ultra Fine liner, I went around the edges of all the letters to make them pop.


A close up.


Finally, I got some Faber Castell Gelatos in gold and silver and went around the out edge of the cover.  Just rubbing it in with my fingers.

And there you have it my finished journal cover and "The Beginning..."


Now, as to whether or not I will add anything to the inside of this journal!  We will have to wait and see how long it takes me before I build up the courage to start that first page.

Thanks for stopping by today.

Happy crafting.

32 comments:

  1. Fantastic start Karon, I should take inspiration from you and try to be a bit more daring and do some altered art, I have paint and unused stamps that would be just right!! xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is awesome Karon!!! Beautiful job my friend!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree, it is awesome...love the colors, too, very creative and inspiring!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow Karon....thanks for showing how you achieved the gorgeous paint effect on the cover. I have books like yours just sitting on the shelf waiting for some attention. Not sure how to attempt an art journal...so I'm looking forward to seeing what you create inside! Great work:)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love this as much as I did earlier when I saw it. STUNNING creativity my friend. Love the road and how it winds. The colors you achieved are beautiful.
    Have a creative day.
    Hugs Nana
    ♥ My Crafting Channel ♥
    ♥ 2 Creative Chicks ♥
    ♥ Silhouette Challenges ♥

    ReplyDelete
  6. Absolutely gorgeous, Karon!! What a stunning cover!! The colors and design are just fabulous!! I have three journals and have yet to tackle the covers!! They intimidate me!! You have done a spectacular job my friend!! Have a great day :)

    Lisa
    A Mermaid's Crafts

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your art journal cover turned out fabulous! Go for it! Do that first page this week!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love how you take a chance in venturing into different strokes of crafting. You have some awesome inspiration and get us followers motivated. I sometimes need to take it up to another level but stay focus on what I daily do best.. LOL~
    TFS Karon - love your cover and design...

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is beautiful!! I'm so glad your tipping your toe in the art journaling pool but you didn't say if you liked it or not. Lol, you did right?! I truly LOVE art journaling and playing with paints so I hope you enjoyed it too. You did a beautiful job :D

    ReplyDelete
  10. Karon I LOVE your cover!! What a fun creative process. TFS.
    Go ahead just open her up and go for it. Do that first page. You'll be glad you did.
    Hugs
    D~
    http://designsbydragonfly.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  11. This is fabulous Karon and looks like it was so much fun to make
    Kevin xx

    ReplyDelete
  12. Your journal is like a canvas! Looks awesome! Love all the fun techniques you have been showing! Carri~Abusybee

    ReplyDelete
  13. This is fabulous, Karon. Great tutorial.

    ReplyDelete
  14. A beautiful venture into releasing your creativity into your art journal, Karon! The colors and design are gorgeous. I love the stamps you chose and the manner in which you created your title. :o) Beautifully done! I look forward to seeing you conquer Page 1! :o)

    Hugs and blessings!

    ReplyDelete
  15. omgosh this is so stinkin cute!!! :) and wow, paints!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Lovely journal done with beautiful colours and design.
    Kim xXx

    ReplyDelete
  17. Sending my heartfelt encouragement, we can't wait to see what you've got planned for the insides. The cover is beautiful and very artistic. Let your inner-creative-freak fly... we're waiting ;)

    ReplyDelete
  18. your journal is wonderful!! I have been hesitant to start one, but what a great way to see where your creativity takes you!!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Fabulous! Oh my goodness- you and I seem to be in the same boat with these Art Journals! Mine has been sitting on my shelf for months also. The inks have been calling my name and teasing me for not being brave enough to give it a try! I finally broke it all out and played with my new toys for several days. I'm waiting for everything to dry so that I can take photos. Not sure how much I really like it, but it is what it is!
    I love the great colors you and images you were able to achieve! You were very brave to start with the cover - I chickened out and went straight to the inside...lol! I look forward to seeing more pages from you very soon!

    ReplyDelete
  20. This is truly a BEAUTY!!! WOW!! Stunning as well!!
    Have a wonderful day my friend,
    Migdalia
    ♥ Crafting With Creative M ♥
    ♥ 2 Creative Chicks Challenges ♥

    ReplyDelete
  21. Fabulous - what a wonderful cover for your journal! Lovely technique...

    ReplyDelete
  22. Karon this is a great little book. Love the colors and the techniques you used to achieve this. Thanks for sharing with us at She's A Sassy Lady.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Wow this is awesome! I love it. Very creative and artsy! It's fabulous my friend!!

    Susie

    ReplyDelete
  24. Oh how fun! I love the colors and all the layers. It really makes me want to play with paint :)

    Best crafty wishes!
    Amber
    Staying Crafty

    ReplyDelete
  25. Thank you all so much for these fabulous and encouraging comments :-)

    ReplyDelete
  26. WOW, Karon, I love the cover so beautifully done. Enjoy the rest of your day
    Hugs,
    Norma

    ReplyDelete
  27. Glad you got started on your art journal. The cover looks amazing. Love the mix of mediums you used!

    ReplyDelete
  28. The cover to your journal is stunning.
    I love the colours.
    Can;t wait to see the beautiful work you put into your book.

    ReplyDelete
  29. How fun !! great colors Have a great weekend my friend
    DIANA L.
    dianamlarson.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  30. Is it because I'm from Kansas that I see the Yellow Brick Road here? I don't know, it's poignant for the journey and perfect I think. ;) I love that you no longer have your journal haunting you from the shelf...the makeover is wonderful and I think the insides will be filled with inspiration when the moments hit.
    Great job Karon :)

    ReplyDelete
  31. you created a gorgeous cover for your art journal Karon, love it!!
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  32. How on earth did you take that cover on and off without ripping it? Anyways, I'm glad to see that the journal is no longer intimidating you from afar. You've accomplished the first step. The rest will come in its appointed time. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete

I would like to thank you for stopping by my blog today. All your comments are really appreciated. Happy crafting everyone and have a great day.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...