Saturday, 7 September 2013

Art journal advice and a little bit from me :-)

Hi everyone.  Hope you had a good week.  For me it was the first week that the girls were back to school.

I had all great plans of getting in the craft room and doing lots of crafting, however as they were in school it was also a good time for me to catch up with some friends I didn't see much of over the summer.   So, a breakfast date, coffee date and chat dates later, I only actually got in the craft room yesterday and that was to get my DT card done for next Friday.

Todays post is a quick(ish) one, nothing to show you I'm afraid, but earlier in the week you may recall my posting of my first page in my art journal.  I posed a few questions to you all and wanted to share the advice that my friends left me.

So here goes, grab a coffee and sit awhile :-)

Firstly, I wanted to share with you my view of an art journal and how I see me using it.  It is a way for me to try new things, you know experiment, however it will also portray a little about what I am feeling.  For my first page, I was thinking of Andy working away and therefore my page is a reminder to me that "Home is where the heart is" and that is how I feel when he is back even for a short time.  You may see a blueish one coming up at some stage, as when I am feeling low I can think about different things and maybe get creative to brighten my day a little.  Also, I think if you search the web for quotes on different feelings, this can sometimes trigger ideas too - at least that is where I am going with mine.

I think the first step for me, was to just not worry about the complete end result - after all, it is meant to be a leaning curve.  No-one is going to receive this - it is just for me.  If I learn new techniques along the way, that maybe I can incorporate in my other craft things, then all well and good.  If someone can pick up on something that I have done, then that is even better.

Anyways, enough of my rambling - here is some of the advice that was left :-)

Lisa of A Mermaids Crafts

To adhere items to her pages she uses either Claudine Hellmuth Matte Medium or Ranger Collage Glue (no problem with the glue shining through).

To get inks and paints off fingers, she uses a Ranger Craft Scrubbie with soap and water - works perfectly!

And she definitely recommends charcoal, she has both black and white pencils, using them for outlining.

Thanks Lisa.

Sandy of Sandy's Crafty Creations

Sandy is also just venturing into the art journalling thingy :-)

She uses Gesso as a base coat - I think this has to be a staple in art journalling as it preps the paper and gives a great surface to work on.

She has a charcoal pencil and has also got some paint acrylic pens and will see how those work out.

Lava soap to wash her hands, she has tried the Tim Holtz Scrubbie but it can dry out your hands a little.

Using a Medium Matte from Michaels to both adhere and cover her bits and pieces on her pages.

Thanks Sandy.

Yvonne of Do More with Less

Uses Liquitex Matte Gel Medium to adhere bits of paper

Thanks Yvonne.


Are you still with me?  Good :-)

I hope that if I can come up with any more tips and tricks, or that people leave me then I can let you all know.  It will be a record for me too.

Maybe, after seeing my first attempt, it will give some of you out there that are still procrastinating (I did for a very long time) the impetus to give it a go.  Truly, if I can do it, anyone can :-)


Thank you all so much for your fabulous comments and continued support of my blog and your continued friendship.

Happy crafting.

23 comments:

  1. very nice to know this, i am also actually confused of matte or gloss which i often see here. unfortunately i dont know german and cannot understand what is actually used. I dont find any english products.thanks for the post

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good morning Karon. It is always nice to spend time with friends. Looks like you have some really good friends here online as well. How nice of everyone to jump right in and leave such good advise. I enjoyed seeing your page again, you did a fantastic job on it. You are mastering the mixed media.

    Have a creative day.
    Hugs Nana
    ♥ My Crafting Channel ♥
    ♥ 2 Creative Chicks ♥
    ♥ Silhouette Challenges ♥

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am fascinated that you are getting into mixed media and can't wait to see your projects. I am still trying to master my paper crafting! Guess I just enjoy that so and that makes me happy. Really looking forward to what you will be doing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great tips, all of them. I use several of those products myself and agree they're effective.

    Again, love your journal, Karon!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hello Karon~ Glad to hear that you got some extra quality time with all your GF's and play catch up... That must of been fun, chit chatting and that can take up several hours, huh. LOL~ Love that you'be been doing mix batches of your craft art, they are so very pretty and I'm glad you are enjoying doing them. Great and awesome tips and glad that all your blogging buddies are their to help you share their awesome talents. Maybe someday I can venture like you and take it up to another level, but I love fiddling with my card making. LOL~
    Enjoy your wonderful weekend~

    ReplyDelete
  6. Karon, I'm glad you were able to spend some time with your lovely friends! :o) This is a great idea to compile a list of tips and tricks regarding mixed media, as it is new to many and a completely different crafty outlet. I look forward to seeing your future creations, mixed media and otherwise. :o) Have a happy weekend!

    Hugs and blessings!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks for sharing those tips. I like the idea of searching for quotes online as a jumping off point. The hand washing tips were good too, although I think with the super messy stuff it's better just to wear gloves sometimes. I guess it's personal preference, but Colorado is way dry so the less I have to scrub my hands, the better.

    Best crafty wishes!
    Amber
    Staying Crafty

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm glad you got to catch up with your friends!! Sandy and Yvonne's tips are awesome!! I usually use a base of gesso, too, just to give it some teeth for things to adhere. I can't wait to see more mixed media from you - you are awesome!! Have a great weekend :)

    Lisa
    A Mermaid's Crafts

    ReplyDelete
  9. Maybe some day. For now I'll enjoy your journaling.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Such a pretty cover to your journal. Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Glad to know that you had a wonderful time with friends!!!
    I wish I was there.... You did an AWESOME job on this BEAUTIFUL journal!!
    Have a wonderful day my friend!!
    Migdalia

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh Karon this page is just terrific, I love, love the colors and your lettering!

    ReplyDelete
  13. It's beautiful!!! I am envious of your mixed media skills and I find it wonderful to see this evolving for your Karon :)
    I look forward to more ideas, techniques, tips and tricks from you.
    hugs,
    Lisa x

    ReplyDelete
  14. Great post and art journaling!! I think of it the same way, my art journal is a play to play without expectations, it's a place to use up excess supplies so nothing goes to waste and a place for me to express my feelings. The colors and message always reflect the way I'm feeling :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. lol, I meant to say "a place" to play, lol :D

      Delete
  15. Again great page and great tips :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. There is no right or wrong when it comes to art. You do need to experiment a lot before you find products you really like. Have fun! :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. Great tips. Thanks for sharing, Karon.
    xxx Asha
    Sunny Summer Crafts

    ReplyDelete
  18. Great tips! I do the online searching for quotes too. Have a file folder of them on my computer. :)

    ReplyDelete
  19. Oh Karon - everything is PERFECT. The colors, your lettering, love the house - you have definitely inspired me to jump into the mixed media arena. I have been wanting to do this for a very long time and its time to just jump into the deep end. I can't wait to see what you create next.

    Hugs always

    Laine

    ReplyDelete
  20. Glad to see you got some answers. These colours are so pretty but I think the blues would be too. Just depends on the mood you are trying to portray.

    ReplyDelete
  21. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  22. I am so glad you got to catch up with friends.
    Thanks for passing on the helpful tips.
    D~
    http://designsbydragonfly.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete

I would like to thank you for stopping by my blog today. All your comments are really appreciated. Happy crafting everyone and have a great day.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...