Wednesday, 4 September 2013

By George, I think she's got it! Well, sort of :-)

Hi everyone.  It's my turn to share something with you all here and over at Pam's blog, The Bug Bytes.

Today, I am sharing my very first art journalling page with you all.  I had a messy day in the craft room the other day and finally did this first page.  I am actually quite pleased with how this turned out and I got pretty messy getting it done :-)  I had this image in my mind for quite sometime, as well as the quote, but it was taking the time to be brave and just go for it.


I started off by laying down a thin layer of Gesso on my page and allowing it to dry.  Then I just went at it with different acrylic paints and even some spray mists. Drying all the different paints with my heat gun as I went along.  I also daubed on some cream circles using some old cardboard tubing I had laying around.  

I stamped all the letters out, using Momento Tuxedo Black Ink, on some cream paper and cut them into individual pieces.  I then used Modge Podge matte to stick them to my page.  I went over them with some Tim Holtz Tea Dye and Victorian Velvet Distress Inks and then edged them with a Sharpie black pen.


The hearts on the right are all just quickly drawn on some old book pages and cut out and then stuck to the page.  As well as the little crazy house :-)  I sprayed the hearts with some Tim Holtz Distress Stain (that I had decanted into a Mini Mister) Victorian Velvet, I also added some Perfect Pearls to the edges of the large heart (you can see this in the side view below), and the main part of the house with Mustard Seed.


Again I edged these details with my Sharpie black marker, also some pencil and ink and just rubbed around the edges.  The other hearts were stamped with some CTMH Sorbet ink.

And there you have it my first journal page completed.


I would appreciate if some of you lovely crafters out there, who dabble in art journalling could answer a few questions for me.

1. What do you use to stick your bits and pieces down with?

2. How do you not have shiny glue showing around you page?  I thought using the matte Modge Podge would help, but the shiny glue still showed. 

3. Any good tips on good soap scrubs, to get rid of inky fingers? :-)

4. Can you advise if it would be good to get some charcoal pencils or any other goodies for detailing?

5. Any other tips/tricks or advice you can leave me?

I would be grateful for any comments and will do another post, with your tip, tricks and advice! Obviously, giving credit where credit is due :-)

Thanks for stopping by today.

Happy crafting.

31 comments:

  1. Saw this at Pam's and commented but it's worthy a second comment here -- super job!!! Looks fantastic!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awesome creativity on your journal page Karon.... love it! Can't wait to see the finish pages to it..

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is absolutely stunning, Karon!! You did such a fabulous job with your first journal page!! I love the design and the colors!! Gorgeous, gorgeous my friend!!

    I use either Claudine Hellmuth Matte Medium or Ranger Collage Glue to adhere items to my pages and I haven't had a problem with the glue shining through. To get the inks and paints off my fingers, I use a Ranger Craft Scrubbie with soap and water - it works perfectly!! And I would definitely recommend charcoal - I have both black and white pencils. I use the black on all of my pages to outline. I love them!! Hope this helps!! Have a great day :)

    Lisa
    A Mermaid's Crafts

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am just stunned by your talent, Karon. This is a medium that I'm intimidated by. Your page is lovely and really must have been a joy to make. I'll look forward to the tips and tricks summary!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow! This is absolutely gorgeous!!!! What great colors. I love the variety of hearts :)

    Best crafty wishes!
    Amber
    Staying Crafty

    ReplyDelete
  6. Awesome project and I love the colors you used on this little project. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  7. fabulous journal page Karon, love the colours and effects!
    Kim x

    ReplyDelete
  8. Very pretty and great colours. TFS!

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is gorgeous Karon!!! WOW I am so LOVING this!!!
    Awesome job my friend!!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Fantastic journal page. Love those colors you used.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm loving this. These journals really escape me. I never understood the Smash books. So I read lots of things about them and thought, Yeah, I got it now. So I bought the stuff and don't know what to do with it. That's kind of me with the art journals. I love seeing them and yours is fabulous. Can't wait to see more. Maybe watching you I'll "get it."

    ReplyDelete
  12. Awesome first art journal! Gorgeous background and love the letter squares you created!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Beautiful piece of art!!!
    I use modge podge and glue and seal on mine...haven't noticed too much shiney places, but it can/does happen!! I have a lot of mixed media pin son my Pinterest site, with really good videos and tips...I think the entire process is a learning one, and it never ends...lol!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Great 1st art journal page, wow.
    I have done an art journal a year or so ago.
    Keep meaning to do another one though.

    ReplyDelete
  15. WOW! Karon this is fabulous and you definitely inspire me with all the mixing of color!! OMG! I loved your halloween project down below so fantastic:) Thank you for stopping by and have a wonderful evening!!
    Hugs,
    Norma

    ReplyDelete
  16. WOW. This page is STUNNING my friend. Love the colors, the house inside the heart and the sentiment is perfect. LOVE IT!!!!!!
    Have a creative day.
    Hugs Nana
    ♥ My Crafting Channel ♥
    ♥ 2 Creative Chicks ♥
    ♥ Silhouette Challenges ♥

    ReplyDelete
  17. absolutely love the colors they just say "Happy" to me...

    ReplyDelete
  18. Perfect first page!!! It looks like you've done pages and pages of these. You're a natural pro! I can't answer any of your questions, though... I haven't taken the plunge into art journaling yet!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Fabulous! You did it!! I don't have much advise as I'm just now working on my second set of pages. I also use the Gesso as a base coat. I have charcoal pencil for outlining but have also bought some paint acrylic pens. We'll see how those go. I use Lava soap to clean my hands most of the time and have used the Tim Holtz Ranger scrubbie but it drys my hands out quite a bit as it is scrapping the paint and goo off. I use a Medium Matte that I bought at Michael's in the artist department to put down things I add and also you put a coat of it over the item with a brush. That's what I've seen a lot of mixed media people use on their videos. I will be taking a Mixed Media class at the LSS on Sept. 17th from Jenn Starr. If I learn anything new I'll pass it on. :)

    ReplyDelete
  20. By George - you sooooooo got it! This, my friend, is fabulous! I absolutely love this page. The colors are great, the hearts and your little house are perfect and your quote is amazing! LOVE everything about this ♥

    ReplyDelete
  21. Karon, this is a teriffic journal page. Love all the the layers of colors. Your layout with the saying, heart and house is really beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Karon, your first art journal page is absolutely beautiful! I'm so proud of you for pushing beyond the fears and just going for it. It turned out so gorgeously. The design is lovely, the phrase is gorgeous, and I adore the varying scripts you chose for the hearts and home. :o) So proud of you, my friend! I look forward to seeing your future pages! :o)

    Hugs and blessings!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Karon,
    This is so fabulous! You really rocked it honey! I love it! I'm not artsy but love that you asked those questions.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Stunning......so looking forward to your next page! Beautiful colours and I love the quote:)

    ReplyDelete
  25. Glad you got started on your art journal page! Looks amazing!:)

    P/s: I use Liquitex matt gel medium to adhere bits of paper.

    ReplyDelete
  26. BEAUTIFUL!! Love it. What a wonderful design.
    I find the best thing for getting off the ink from my skin is when I shampoo my hair. It must be a combo of shampoo and oils because the shampoo alone doesn't work for me.
    D~

    ReplyDelete
  27. Fantastic page. Great colours. I love the design and it certainly doesn't look like a first effort.
    Yes sometimes it is difficult to try something new and different. I have a small canvas that I am nervous about starting.

    ReplyDelete
  28. This is absolutely stunning. Love it.
    Hugs
    Pam

    ReplyDelete
  29. Love the first page of your journal. If you are wondering what took so long between the last comment and this one, you've inspired me with your lettering idea. I needed to finish something tonight for a couple card/layouts for my surrogate nieces to put into their albums after having a successful soccer season and I was still trying to figure out how to add their names and the year. So I am using your idea of putting the letters in squares if I can work it out. I just went looking for a stamp set that had numbers and cut out a couple small tags for the base. I'm hoping there is enough room to add the numbers on little white squares. I'll have to wait and see until I can get downstairs and create later on tonight. Thanks for the inspiration! Sorry I don't have any advice to offer bec. I've never done any type of art journal like this. I hope you got all the answers you needed.

    Hugs,
    Lisa

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Just wanted to let you know that I did follow through and used your lettering as inspiration for the numbers I had to do on my tag. I'm crediting it to you and providing a link to your blog in my Monday Digi Darla DT post.

      Delete

I would like to thank you for stopping by my blog today. All your comments are really appreciated. Happy crafting everyone and have a great day.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...