Tuesday, 15 October 2013

Oh Christmas Tree, Oh Christmas Tree!

How steadfast grow your branches!

Hi all my crafty buddies.  It's my turn to share with you all here and all those over at She's A Sassy Lady. Thank you Sheila :-)

For those of you that follow my blog, you will know that I am off to Winnipeg tomorrow.  Andy has to go into hospital for surgery and I need to be there.  A very good friend is looking after my girls for me, whilst I am away.  There won't me much on my blog this week, other than today's post.  I will do a quick post on Friday to let you all know how Andy is.  I hope then to return to proper blogging/crafting as of next week :-)

I have to warn you, this is a picture heavy post but the end result (I think is fab).

Today, I have a Christmas card to share with you and I am going to show you how to make the Christmas tree that is on the card.


Many moons ago, and I'm talking years before my blog and when I originally dabbled a little bit into card making, has to be over 10 years ago, well, I used to dabble in a little bit of tea bag folding (no soggy teabag jokes please).  I remember making one of these trees and was having a sort out in the deepest darkest depths of my craft room and came across some old photos of some cards I made.  I will not under any circumstances be showing any of these old old creations :-)   The one above was made yesterday :-)

So, are you ready for this?  Everybody say "Yes, get on with it!"

You will need to start by picking a lovely designer paper (wouldn't advise card stock, although you could try) and you need to cut 10, 1.5" squares.  Your finished tree, (without the trunk and pot) using 1.5" squares will be 3" tall.  Make sure your measurements are accurate, as it will effect the fold.  Make sure all your folds are nice and crisp.


To show you the fold I have used a 4" square piece, just to get a clearer picture.  Then I have used 2" square pieces to make up the example. (Using 2" squares, your finished tree will be 4.25" tall.) You could ink the edges of your squares too!

For the first folding, fold in half, open turn and fold in half again so that you square looks like this.


Flip over your square (to the wrong side) and then fold on the diagonal, turn, open and fold on the diagonal again.  


Now your square should look like this.


You will see that the edges are already starting to lean in towards the centre.  Take the left and right sides and push them into the centre, so it looks like this.


Now you should have a triangle like this.


Next take one of the flapped triangles as below.


And you are going to squish it so that it forms a kite shape, and flatten.  See the next two photos.



Flip over and do the same again.



This is your finished piece.


Make up all ten.  I have used two different colours so that you can see how they go together.


Take two pieces, insert the top point of one piece into the front kite shape of another.  Do this until it will go no further.


Tape the back of the two pieces together and continue taping as you add each row.  Here is the back of the first two.


For the third row, you will add another two pieces by tucking them in the side flaps of that second row.


Next take another one piece for the fourth row, tuck it under the base of the green kite (just a little) but under the right and left kites, as below.  Tape on the back to hold them in place.


Add another two for the fifth row as before (third row).


We are onto the final row.  Add another piece in the centre as for row four, keeping it under the two kites.


To finish off, we are going to add two more pieces to this row, by tucking them under left and right side flaps.  Don't forget to be taping as you go along.


Here is the back of the tree, all taped to secure.


Add a trunk, tree pot and a star, and add it to your card.  I hope that these directions are clear - I found all the folding quite therapeutic :-)


Hey!!  Are you still there? Are you still awake? :-)

Hope you made it to the end of the post and that you will give this a go.

I embossed the background with my Cuttlebug and the Divine Swirls embossing folder.


This card is being entered in the following challenges.

Craft You Passion Challenges - Challenge #184: Add Some Embossing  (closes 20 Oct)

Creative Craft Challenges 2 - Challenge #21: Anything Goes (closes 28 Oct)

Bearly Mine Challenges - Challenge #108: Anything Goes (closes 21 Oct) 

Sister Act Card Challenge - Challenge #28: Always Anything Goes (closes 17 Oct)

Challenges 4 Everybody - Challenge #31: Anything Goes (closes 25 Oct)

Scribble and Scrap Challenges - Challenge #3 - Always Anything Goes (closes 24 Oct)

Thanks for stopping by today.

Happy crafting.

43 comments:

  1. OMGosh Karon.....this is fabulous, what a wonderful idea. Thanks for a great tutorial, I'm going to try this! Thinking of you and your husband, hoping all goes well! Hugs xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is a stunning Christmas card Karon, I love the folding of the Christmas Tree well done. The background embossing is perfect at the back of the Christmas Tree.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Fantastic Karon. Have a safe journey xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh my goodness this is just too cute! I love this card and the dimensions of it. Thanks for the great tutorial and sharing with us today at She's A Sassy Lady!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh my gosh...how cute is this little card! Love it!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great tut, Karon! Fab way to "spruce" up a Christmas card! (pun intended, LOL). All the best in Winnipeg and Andy has a speedy recovery.
    hugs, Asha Sunny Summer Crafts

    ReplyDelete
  7. Lovely. I like the teabagfolding you did and the little tutorial to it.
    Thanks for joining us at Craft your Passion.
    xxx Michelle

    ReplyDelete
  8. She is a sassy lady and so pretty.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Gorgeous card Karon! Love the colours and layout...and what a fabulous tutorial! Brilliant stuff!

    Thank you for joining us over at the Scribble and Scrap Challenge. Good luck.
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  10. very cool and your card is gorgeous Karon!
    I've seen these before but never a tutorial, thanks for the wonderful instructions!
    All the best for Andy, will say a prayer that all goes well!
    hugs

    ReplyDelete
  11. Gorgeous card, I like your christmas tree :-))
    Thanks for joining in our "Anything Goes" at BearlyMineChallenge!
    Hugs, Andreja

    ReplyDelete
  12. So stinkin' cute! It's relatively easy too! I just love it when you pull out these very different techniques and take your time to show us how. Great card!

    I'm also grateful for such a faithful blog friend who would read through and comment on every single post of a very post heavy blog this weekend. Especially considering how very busy your week must be with your trip. Thank you for the encouragement, friend. I really am touched and appreciative.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh my gosh my friend, this is spectacular!! What a gorgeous tree!! Your tutorial is so fabulous and easy to follow along!! I will definitely have to give this a try!! Love, love it!! Sending my thoughts and prayers to you and Andy. I hope his surgery is quick and painless. Safe travels my friend!! Hugs :)

    Lisa
    A Mermaid's Crafts

    ReplyDelete
  14. Sorry for the delete...
    FABULOUS!!!!! I thought that the tree was made from fabric?...WOW! Absolutely AMAZING!!
    Thank you for sharing the tutorial. Awesome job my friend!!
    Sending my prayers & thoughts to you & Andy.
    Have a wonderful day,
    Migdalia
    ♥ Crafting With Creative M ♥
    ♥ 2 Creative Chicks Challenges ♥

    ReplyDelete
  15. Karon, your tree is very sweet. Thanks for the tutorial. Blessings on Andy's surgery, your trip and your girls back home. Hugs, Teresa

    ReplyDelete
  16. A fabulous Christmas card and a brilliant tutorial.

    Thank you for joining in with the Scribble & Scrap challenge and good luck x

    ReplyDelete
  17. Karon, thank you so much for sharing this project. It is adorable. I love it and am going to make one. :) Am I understanding that I'm cutting 10 pieces at 1 1/2"? They seem awfully small. Maybe I'm having a senior moment. LOL Thinking of you through the surgery, hope all goes well.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Love this fold. Made a beautiful card.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Your card is lovely and such a fun fold.
    All my best to Andy on his surgery

    ReplyDelete
  20. Lots of love and prayers for Andy... he will shine through this brilliantly and heal up perfectly. Extra hugs for both of you! As for your card, it is spectacular! What an incredible idea... so textural and beautiful. Your tutorial is wonderful, as always. Thank you for including it! The sweet bow and embossing are the perfect additions to this beautiful creation. Fantastic work, Karon! :o)

    Hugs and blessings!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Absolutely gorgeous! Wow - what a beautiful tree, so worth the effort! Love the pretty paper and embossed background. Best wishes for your hubby during his surgery and recovery!

    ReplyDelete
  22. This is AWESOME Karon!! WOW I love the tutorial and your finished card is FAB!!!!!
    Totally ROCKED this card and project!!!
    Wishing the hubs a speedy recovery! I will be keeping him and you and the girls in my thoughts!

    ReplyDelete
  23. A brilliant card and tutorial - Thank you for joining in the Scribble and Scrap challenge, good luck

    ReplyDelete
  24. This is gorgeous,love the design and fab colours.Thanks for sharing with us at Scribble and Scrap.xxx

    ReplyDelete
  25. GASP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! This is just amazing Karon! I am speechless!

    ReplyDelete
  26. very cool karon!!! love your little origami christmas tree! and thanks for the tutorial!!!

    ReplyDelete
  27. Awesome! I'm so glad you learned to do this many moons ago! Fabulous card and tutorial. Will be thinking of you and Andy!

    ReplyDelete
  28. What a gorgeous card you have made here. It fits our challenge this week well of “anything goes”. Thanks for taking part and good luck. Best wishes, Kym (Bearly Mine Challenge Blog Design Team)

    ReplyDelete
  29. Lovely origami Christmas tree card! Just love it...

    ReplyDelete
  30. Love the tea bag folded Christmas tree Karon, wonderful instructions. Makes a fabulous card design.

    Hugs Diane

    ReplyDelete
  31. Oh wow! Love the folds! Love how your card turned out...thanks for sharing how to make the tree!

    ReplyDelete
  32. Gorgeous card karon, thank you for the tutorial:) I hope everything goes well with Andy's surgery and prayers for a speedy recovery:)
    Hugs,
    Norma

    ReplyDelete
  33. woah! this is very creative!!

    Thanks for joining us at Sister Act Card challenge this week.

    -Angeline DT

    ReplyDelete

  34. Hope all went well with Andy's surgery. Are they taking care of the K-stone? Take care of him and please remember to take care of yourself.
    I LOVE this! Thanks for the tutorial.
    Crafty hugs,
    D~

    ReplyDelete
  35. Beautiful card Karon! Wow! That's pretty amazing how you made the tree. Love the paper you used too so festive, just like a decorated tree. So awesome!!

    Susie

    ReplyDelete
  36. Karon this is incredible! The papers are fabulous, but I just can't get over that tree!!! Very well done!

    ReplyDelete
  37. So festive. Love the folded tree. Thanks for sharing at Craft Your Passion. Hope to see you again.

    ReplyDelete
  38. Fun! Fun! Fun! Love the dimensionality of the tree.

    ReplyDelete
  39. A lovely card. I love your 3D Christmas tree and pretty papers. Thank you for the tutorial I am definitily going to try this

    ReplyDelete
  40. Great card. Thanks for joining in our "Anything Goes" challenge at Creative Craft.
    Hugs
    Bev x

    ReplyDelete
  41. Fabulous card Karon. Love the papers used. Thank yo for the tutorial. I will be giving this a try.
    Have a creative day.
    Hugs Nana
    ♥ My Crafting Channel ♥
    ♥ 2 Creative Chicks ♥
    ♥ Silhouette Challenges ♥

    ReplyDelete

I would like to thank you for stopping by my blog today. All your comments are really appreciated. Happy crafting everyone and have a great day.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...