Thursday, 14 November 2013

A new photo box!

Hi everyone.  Thursday already!  The girls have a day off school tomorrow, PD day, so I expect we will be off to the cinema or maybe just have a chilling or crafting/game day.

Anyhow, I decided that it was time to remake a new photo box.  This is a picture of my old one and as you can see, it is looking a little sorry for itself.  So yesterday I made up a new one :-)


I bought 5 sheets of foam board from the local dollar store and after securing the base and back, I then proceeded to make three window sides and then attach those.  Some tissue paper to cover the windows and some white Bristol board for the inner and there you go a brand new, larger and sturdier photo box.


My new box is 30" wide by 20" deep and 20" high.  I am so pleased with the result and it really is quite solid.  I did have to go to my local art store to get the inner Bristol board as I needed a piece that was 30" by 40".  I could only get 22" by 28" everywhere else, and you don't want any joins in the backing piece, you need it to be seamless.  It was $12, but I figured that the overall cost is still only $16 and photo boxes to buy can be anywhere from $50 up.  So, a bargain in my eyes :-)

Here it is with my lights.  (I think I would like to see if there is some way I can light up the top - I might see if attaching a ring of white LED lights around the top will work, as they won't be too heavy for the top of the box.)


Now all I need to do is get creating, so I can use it :-)

Thanks for stopping by today.

Happy crafting.

26 comments:

  1. Great job you industrious little thing you!! I don't have one and rely on good weather!! xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. My "light box" is the table near the window for natural light. Maybe I should rethink that, huh? You are clever.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is quite similar to what my hubby made for me too... Awesome job and it does serves it's purpose.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great job. Looks very efficient and not too hard to make. Fabulous.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What an awesome light box!! I was too lazy to make my own so I got one off of Ebay :) I do have a light on top...it's an industrial type work light that I stole from my Dad :) The top of the box is canvas like the sides so the light passes through. Have a great day my friend :)

    Lisa
    A Mermaid's Crafts

    ReplyDelete
  6. Stellar, Karon. I agree... let's see those creations!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Fabulous! This looks perfect and I bet you will get some wonderful use from this. Great job there my friend!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Very Creative and awesome idea!!!! I need one like this. TFS
    Have a wonderful day my friend,
    Migdalia
    ♥ Crafting With Creative M ♥
    ♥ 2 Creative Chicks Challenge Blog ♥

    ReplyDelete
  9. How cool. I just use my window...lol

    ReplyDelete
  10. Your new and improved photo box looks great.
    My daughter and I made one of these a couple of years ago and we added a light to the top.
    Worked great with her camera, but mine gave either a yellow or blue tinge the photos :(

    ReplyDelete
  11. Fabulous idea! Well done, Karon!
    xxx Asha

    ReplyDelete
  12. Ooh La La! Your new photo box is awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  13. :) You're so sweet!

    lol Mine looks somewhat like your old one. I think you've done a fabulous job giving it a makeover! Enjoy your family day!

    ReplyDelete
  14. this is soooo cool! i didn't understand why people needed photo boxes until i moved to the mainland. now i know that a lot of days are just yucky outside and no sunlight! i need to use your tutorial to make myself one. thanks for the inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Wow! This looks great Karon!! I know its going to work out just fine! Can't wait to see the new pics!! Have a great day!

    Susie

    ReplyDelete
  16. Great idea. TFS.
    I need to make one of these now that Mr. Sunshine is officially hibernating.
    Crafty hugs,
    D~
    DesignsByDragonfly.blogspot

    ReplyDelete
  17. What a difference from the old one, I asked my hubby to make me one but I got tried of waiting so I ordered one from ebay also. Excellent job!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Your light box looks amazing, Karon! You are so talented. :o) I'm sure it will work out beautifully for you! I ordered mine from eBay and it made a world of difference for me, especially since I usually photograph at night. Enjoy it, my friend! :o)

    Hugs and blessings!

    ReplyDelete
  19. This thing is terrific, it's HUGE!!! Great DIY project Karon!

    ReplyDelete
  20. WOW Karon, great job. I didn't even know one could be made. I'm always trying to take better pictures. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  21. WOW! super creative and it looks fabulous!! I can't wait to see your projects photographed inside this awesome light box!! TFS
    Hugs,
    Norma

    ReplyDelete
  22. Thanks for sharing how you did this Karon......great idea!

    ReplyDelete

I would like to thank you for stopping by my blog today. All your comments are really appreciated. Happy crafting everyone and have a great day.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...