Friday, 27 December 2013

A Christmas Treasure Hunt

Hi everyone.  I hope you Christmas festivities are going well and that you all had a most wonderful Christmas Day.

I wanted to share a little something with you from our Christmas day.  We decided to do a treasure hunt for the girls this year.  We don't do this every Christmas, but we had a big surprise for them this year :-)


Normal present opening was in the morning, at a respectable time of around 9am.  We don't hurry in this house, as we like to stretch out Christmas Day as much as possible.

We enjoyed the time getting to see their faces and beaming smiles, as they opened their presents. Even though they are older now, I still love Christmas morning.

Anyways, the treasure hunt was planned for after dinner - see I did say I like to stretch Christmas as much as possible.  We had a lovely Christmas meal, we don't do turkey in this house, chicken and all the lovely vegetables.  My husband is the roast dinner chef in our house, so he gets to enjoy the cooking and I get to relax and enjoy the day.

Once we had finished eating and the dishes were cleared away, we gave each of the girls a little box with an ornament inside for the tree.  On the pretence that it was just something little for them to add to the tree ;-)

The box was made using my Silhouette Cameo and a cut file from the very generous Bird of Birds Cards, Box 1 cutfile.  I sized it to cut at 11" and ended up with a box that was 2 5/8" square.  I added a little 2" rosette to the top of each box, with the girls initials on the top.  Perfect.



However, I had attached a little tag to Emily's ornament, so that when she took the ornament out of the box she would see the tag.  Which states, "Pull the golden cracker".  Here is where the treasure hunt begins!


The tag shape was used for all the clues, just resized accordingly and the text added.

I made the golden cracker with another file from Bird - Christmas Crackers file.  I loved how the cracker turned out and it was so easy to put together - I will definitely be making more of these next year!  The cracker was sized at 10.5" wide; finished length of cracker 9", with the body of the cracker being 5" long.


Next up, I made envelopes for the clues to go inside, using my WeRMemory Keepers envelope board.  I love this board and once I used it once or twice, it was great and easy to use.  Different sized envelopes as some of the clues were longer than others :-)


I wrote the number of the clue on the back of the envelope, just to remind me which clue was inside :-)

All the papers I used were from a DCWV 12 by 12 stack called Cup of Cheer.

They got so excited once they pulled the cracker and read the first clue, as they new the fun was about to begin.

I led them all over the house with 5 clues to find in total, leading them back to the family room for the last clue that would lead them to the surprise gift.

And this is what they received!  Oh my, tears galore off not just the girls, even I cried to see how happy they were.

So, as you see they each got a laptop!  And for added individuality I used my Silhouette Cameo to create some cut files and using vinyl made each of their laptops a lid art work.

For Shannon, she loves horses, so of course I had to place a horse on top.


For Emily, she loves wolves, therefore a wolf for Emily.  Don't you just love the scene inside :-)


I love how they both turned out.  One thing I did have to remember when making these was, as I was using the black of the laptop as the actual image, was to remove the correct parts of the vinyl. Normally, the black spaces would have been the vinyl and vice a versa.

So, not only did they love the surprise, when they opened the boxes, they had the additional surprise of finding the images - these were hidden by a sheet of paper on first opening the boxes :-)

My apologies for the long post.  I hope you enjoyed a bit of my Christmas fun.

Wishing you all the very best for the rest of the Christmas Holidays and a Very Happy New Year to you all.

Thanks for stopping by today.

Happy crafting.

20 comments:

  1. How super FUN is this!!! All your projects leading up to the big reveal are AWESOME!!!! I am sure the girls were so super excited!!!
    So glad to hear you had a GREAT Christmas!!
    Hugs to you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very elegant! Love the vinyl too! Sorry I've been so MIA, I've been enjoying the holiday with my family and knitting up a storm. I forgot how much I enjoyed knitting. LOL!!

    Hope you're having a fabulous holiday!!

    Susie

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awesome!!!!! I'm glad you had such a great Christmas day!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. sounds like you had a fabulous day and I'm sure your daughters will treasure those memories forever!
    Kim x

    ReplyDelete
  5. Super awesome idea, love those papers! You are amazing Karon!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh fun! And I know they were thrilled with their gifts. The hunt made so much more memorable. Loved all the details. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  7. This was just too cool. I was anticipating what the surprise was as I was reading. What an awesome idea. TFS.

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is brilliant. Thanks so much for sharing the step-by-step adventure. I really felt like I was part of the action. May 2014 bring many joys for you and your family.

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a clever idea! What a great Mom to come up with it.
    Donna K U

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh my goodness this is such a sweet way for them to find their special gifts.
    My girls got laptops as well, and I also cried when I saw how excited and surprised they were :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. This reminded me of one Christmas when we followed clues that lead to the garage where our shiny new bikes were waiting for us.
    Thanks for the memory boost. I had totally forgotten about that.
    I love that you did something so special for your girls.
    You are the best.
    Hugs,
    D~

    ReplyDelete
  12. Karon, what a lovely story to share with us. I just might have to use this idea next Christmas for my grandsons.

    ReplyDelete
  13. You and your husband are such loving thoughtful parents. The girls are blessed to have you. What a wonderful Christmas day at your house. Happy New Year.

    ReplyDelete
  14. What wonderful, fun, happy Christmas memories your girls will have! Your treasure hunt sounds fabulous and your "clues" are totally gorgeous! I love the vinyl on the computers - you did an amazing job on them. Each one is beautiful and perfect for the lucky young lady receiving it.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Karon, this was such a lovely post! What a special memory you made for your children. Although the gifts are incredible blessings, my favorite parts are the things you created! You did a spectacular job on everything, including the fantastic idea of the vinyl images on each laptop. It sounds like your family indeed had a very special and merry Christmas! :o) Thanks for sharing your happy story, my friend! :o)

    Hugs and blessings!

    ReplyDelete
  16. What a wonderful tradition to begin, Karon! I love this idea, and I love the way you said your family stretches our Christmas. Your boxes are just stunning, I love the pretty rosette on the top!!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Oh my gosh, this sounds like such an amazing Christmas, Karon!! What a beautiful memory for your daughters!! I love the gorgeous boxes and ornaments!! The art on top of the laptops look amazing!! Thank you so much for sharing this!! I'm glad you had a wonderful holiday with your family!! New Year hugs :)

    Lisa
    A Mermaid's Crafts

    ReplyDelete
  18. Wow! The projects were just gorgeous and I loved reading about your fun idea. I'm sure they will remember that forever. I love the idea of sending the kids around with clues to find their presents. Perhaps I will try that for next year :)

    Best crafty wishes!
    Amber
    Staying Crafty

    ReplyDelete
  19. Sounds like everybody had a great time! Love your little projects - they certainly made the gifts extra special.
    hugs,

    ReplyDelete
  20. Sounds like you had a wonderful Christmas. You really did a fabulous job decorating the presents. BEAUTIFUL!!!
    Have a creative day.
    Hugs Nana
    ♥ My Crafting Channel ♥
    ♥ Nana's Rag Quilts ♥
    ♥ 2 Creative Chicks ♥
    ♥ Silhouette Challenges ♥

    ReplyDelete

I would like to thank you for stopping by my blog today. All your comments are really appreciated. Happy crafting everyone and have a great day.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...