Tuesday, 17 December 2013

Rosettes, Rosettes, Rosettes!

Hi everyone.  My turn to share with you all here and at Sheila's blog, She's a Sassy Lady.

I would like to start off with an apology to all of you, my wonderful friends.

I would like to say I'm sorry
For sorely neglecting my blog!
Christmas has me in a pickle
Eyes and mind all in a fog!

Don't know where the time is going,
Seems to be creeping up fast!
Only 8 more sleeps
Till Christmas comes to pass!

I feel a little lost,
And I'm all in quandary
So many things I'd like to do
But no time to get crafty!

I will have a few things to share
With you, once Christmas is gone;
Secrets must be kept
Until present opening is done ;-)

I hope you are all getting there,
The wrapping I have completed!
One less job to think about
I will not be defeated!

Christmas will be a time for rest
To enjoy some family time,
Andy will be home for 10 days
Won't it be sublime!

Now I best get on
You probably think I'm mad!
I do have something to share
So, read on, you'll be glad :-)

Wishing you all the joys of the season
Merry Christmas everyone !


On my blog recently, I made a rosette Christmas Tree, and whilst trying to work out lengths of paper, diameter of finished rosette, etc etc, I thought I would put together a useful little table and rule of thumb.

Apparently, the rule of thumb to make a nice size rosette is to take the diameter that you want your finished rosette to be, multiply this by 4 and this will be the length of paper you need to pleat.  Also the width of the paper is to be half the diameter of the finished rosette.  Are you still with me :-)

So, for example,  if you want a 6" rosette - the width of you paper strip needs to be 3".  The length of your strip is to be 4 x 6" (the finished diameter), 24" in length, so two strips of 12" connected.

So, once you have your strips of paper ready, you will need to score them.  I found for the bigger rosettes, I scored every 1/4" for the smaller rosettes every 1/8" worked well.

I am going to make a four inch rosette.  So, I have two strips of paper one 12" and one 4" for a total of 16" in length.

I find this works for me.  First place your paper right side up on the score board and score every 1". Then flip it over and score every 0.5".



Now, you can fold this strip.  Start right side up and start with a valley fold and you will end with a valley fold.


Now, when I was trying to find out how to make a rosette (I had never made one before - I know, sad isn't it!), the only tutorials I could find were all saying "after scoring cut this little strip off the both ends in order to connect the two pieces of paper properly."  Like below! Doing it this way though, you are cutting off 0.5" of length and then when you join them another 0.5".


However, I found when I was experimenting, that if you just flip the second strip of paper before scoring, then you do not need to take off any little pieces.  See below.


Flip over and score every 0.5"


Now with your second strip scored, you will start with a mountain fold and end with a mountain fold.


So now you have the two strips folded, one with a valley and one with a mountain fold, you can connect them. And you only lose 0.5" instead of the 1" off the length when connected.


It's all in the fold.  When you score the card stock, (I'll show you on the white side as it's clearer), your indents are valley and mountain.  However, you actually fold the opposite way!  So if your score line is valley, you actually mountain fold it and vice a versa.  This stops the card stock from cracking :-) 



Connect the ends to form your circle and then press down to make your rosette - securing with a circle and I use hot glue :-)



I have also put together a table for rosette sizes, diameter, width of paper and length of strips needed and hope you find this useful.  If you already have something like this, then I apologise, but at least it is a permanent record for me :-)

Finished Diameter of Rosette
Width of paper strip needed
Length of paper strip needed
6”
3”
24”
5.5”
2.75”
22”
5”
2.5”
20”
4.5”
2.25”
18”
4”
2”
16”
3.5”
1.75”
14”
3”
1.5”
12”
2.5”
1.25”
10”
2”
1”
8”
1.5”
0.75”
6”
1”
0.5”
4”

For my Rosette Christmas tree I did two of each rosette and only one of the 1" size for the top.

Thanks for stopping by today.

And - don't worry I won't be giving up crafting for poetry any time soon :-)

Happy crafting.

22 comments:

  1. LOL..." I won't be giving up crafting for poetry.." hahaha...what a hoot! My gosh, chica. That chart of yours is fabulous and truly takes the guess work out of it. I despise when I have to do math to craft, so you making this cheat sheet is awesome for me! Where were you in high school when I needed you?? :) Thanks so much for sharing this and do enjoy your time with your family and hubby.
    hugs
    Lisa x

    ReplyDelete
  2. I had started to wonder where you were, but with my own mad rush I felt like I'd stumbled upon the answer. Now I have a rhyme with the truth! Great creative way to blog and apologize all in one. Thanks so much for the tutorial. I've made rosettes before, but honestly always had to go get instructions from the internet. Now, no more searching. Merry Christmas, friend!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your poem is so creative and fabulous, Karon!! I loved reading it!! And what an awesome tutorial, too!! That took some time to do...thank you for sharing it!! I hope you are having a wonderful week!!

    Lisa
    A Mermaid's Crafts

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love your cheerful poem and thanks for the great tutorial. Merry Christmas, Teresa

    ReplyDelete
  5. Loved your poem and fabulous tutorial! I will be using this in the future and I know what you mean. I have crafty things I want to do but so far have not found the time to work on them!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I just LOVE that poem!!! How super adorable are you!!!
    What a FAB tutorial! And that chart is awesome!!
    Thanks so much for sharing and have a GREAT night!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. That is such a cute poem :)
    Thanks for the tip on turning the paper over to score the opposite side..I never thought of doing that when making these :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Awesome. Thanks for the tips. And the measurements.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hey Karon......love love the poem, perfect for how a lot of us could be feeling right now! What a great tutorial....thankyou so much for sharing all those great tips and tricks. And......thankyou for taking the time to visit me. Hugs x

    ReplyDelete
  10. Well, Karon, you've worked it all out for us. What a wonderful and giving friend you are. This will save all of us so much time. Thank you. And your poem, I love it. What a creative mind you have. Enjoy your family time and have a wonderful Christmas.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thank you for the chart - that is very cool!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Aww Karon... you always make me smile and this post is no exception! Your Christmas poetry is fantastic and so relatable! Thanks for the joy in that. :o) Your tutorial is marvelous! I adore rosettes, but I suppose winging it isn't always the best option, huh? I'll keep this chart handy for next time. Thank you for taking the time to make it! I wish you the sparkliest Christmas ever. :o)

    Hugs and blessings!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I'm sitting down and making one of these trees tonight after we put our actual tree up! :) Do ya think I can do it in a couple of hours??? :) heehee

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh how fun making those rosettes, it sure has been a while for me:) Oh I love the chart thank you for sharing it with us. Have a wonderful Holiday with your family!
    Big Hugs,
    Norma

    ReplyDelete
  15. awesome tutorial and chart! you're so sweet for making it! bookmarking it for next year!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Thank you sooo much for the chart and tutorial.
    Have a WONDERFUL holiday with your family!
    It has been crazy for me this year too AND I have my husband here full time.
    Having Andy gone leaves a lot for you to do and we know that.
    We'll be here when you share.
    I was real late getting Christmas goodies complete this year.
    I am sooo behind on emails {1650 this am}
    {I follow blogs by email}
    Enjoy your family time
    Hugs,
    D~

    ReplyDelete
  17. Woot! My tree is posted!! :) http://inksomething2.blogspot.com/2013/12/2-hour-rosette-tree-project.html

    THANK YOU again Karon for your excellent tutorials. Love your projects, you're so crazy talented!! Have a Merry Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
  18. TFS the is tutorial. I started to use my MS score board for my rosettes but I like that your chart will help. I appreciate this.
    Have a wonderful day,
    Migdalia
    ♥ Crafting With Creative M ♥
    ♥ 2 Creative Chicks Challenge Blog ♥

    ReplyDelete
  19. Thanks for the tutorial--hope all is well in your world!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Oh WOW!! I love this tree, it's both gorgeous and fun to make, your directions are so fantastic and the chart is just perfect, so thank you for taking the time to put all of it together for us. Have a wonderful Christmas and a Happy and Healthy 2014!!
    Hugs.
    Maria A. Rodriguez, from Crown Point, IN.

    ReplyDelete
  21. What an amazing tutorial Karon. I'm going to save it and try it out later. You've done so much work figuring it all out for the rest of us. Thanks so much!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Fab tut, Karon! I'll have a go at it....next Christmas! LOL
    Thanks for sharing and a wonderful Christmas.
    hugs, Asha - Sunny Summer Crafts

    ReplyDelete

I would like to thank you for stopping by my blog today. All your comments are really appreciated. Happy crafting everyone and have a great day.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...