Monday, 31 March 2014

There was Grass! And a Box :-)

Hi everyone.  Well Mother Nature was playing around with us the other day.  You know I could have sworn I saw grass, maybe that photo I took just is lying LOL!

Well, woke up yesterday morning to another covering of snow!  Yep the white stuff.  And here is a photo to prove it!!  I had to take this out of my bedroom window as I was still in my pyjamas - you know how it goes.



Anyways, you might want to get a nice cup of coffee or tea and settle down, this post has a few photos as I wanted to show you the process of me making "The Box" :-)  But first a reminder of what the box is for, these are the 16 cards, and I have also made 16 envelopes.


This was my inspiration for my box, this holds all my card makes and serves as a stand for one of my lamps for the photo box :-)


Now, I knew when I was thinking about this box, that it was going to need to be sturdy, so delving around the craft room I found two fab pieces of thin corrugated cardboard, obviously kept for that "I might need this" moment.  Don't deny it either - you all do it :-)

This is the thickness, of the card board, see nice and narrow and perfect for what I needed.


So, I decided to cut my box base 5.75" square and 5" deep.  Therefore my piece needed to be 15.75" square to start.  I measured  and cut up my piece and then using a scoring tool, went down my drawn lines with it, just enough to break the skin of the cardboard.  Then for the tabs, I just cut a small diagonal pieces off so that it would sit nicely when glued.


Then I decided that when this was made up, I didn't want two layers of tabs on the inside, so I cut some more off, so that they would meet in the middle-ish on the inside.


I used Scotch Quick Dry glue, and then also used some paper grips, although I probable didn't need them.


Next came the lid.  This was 6" square by 3" deep.  So my piece of cardboard needed to be 12" square. Same process.  Measure, score and cut.


Glue and grips.


Yay, now came the best part.  Decorating it.  I used the same papers that I had used on my cards. Dotty paper is from Fancy Pants Designs called Little Sprout (though it could be called Sugar - not sure which!)


Now silly me, I didn't take a picture of the next step which was doing all the edging strips.  But take my word for it, I was glad when I had finished.  I cut 24 strips of varying lengths from red textured cardstock (this has been in my stash for at least 10 years!), all 1.25" wide, then used a white gel pen and made faux stitching on all the strips and then scored them down the middle.  These were then applied to all edges of the box base and lid.


Then I cut 16 pieces that were 1.75" square, scored these crossways and was able to form the corners for the box.


For the handle on the box, I just doubled over some of the card stock, glueing the seam to the centre back so that no paper edges were visible.  Then attached this to the lid using some large brads.


I have to admit, I like how the textured card stock looks like red leather.


And inside the box, all those fabulous cards.  I tied the envelopes together with some fab blue ribbon.


And there you have it.  One completed box, that happily holds all sixteen cards and envelopes.  Just to show it off again :-)



Phew, did you stay with me till the end - or did you drop off?  Hope you enjoyed the post, snow and everything :-)

I am entering this box in the following challenges.

Craftitude Challenges- Challenge #61: Anything Goes or Add a Brad/Eyelet (closes 3 Apr)(entry #2)

Scribble and Scrap Blog & Challenge - Challenge #15: Always Anything Goes (closes 11 Apr)

Little Scrap Pieces - Show it off Saturday Linky Party (closes 5 Apr)

Hiding in My Craft Room - Challenge #143 - Freestyle (closes 5 Apr)

Craftin Desert Diva's - Craft it Up & Link it Up Party #28: Anything Goes (closes 13 Apr)

Just Keep on Creating - April Link Up: Anything Goes (closes 30 Apr)

Thanks so much for stopping by today.

Happy crafting.

29 comments:

  1. What a brilliant conclusion to the series Karon!! Shame about more snow though!! xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, Karon, the box is amazing! I love all the details, the idea for the corners is brilliant! Sooner or later, it will be my inspiration! Well done!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I stayed thru to the end b/c I couldn't believe the craftsmanship of this box! It's gorgeous. Such detail, so neat, so beautiful. I bow to your talents.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a wonderful box, Karon! Beautifully finished and looks very sturdy.
    hugs, Asha

    ReplyDelete
  5. WOW Karon! This is one amazing box!!! Such a GREAT idea and super way to store those cards!!!
    AWESOME job!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow, Karon, your box looks amazing!! I love how you decorated it...the red does look like leather!! You did a fabulous job...a perfect holder for all of those gorgeous cards!! Ugh - sorry about more snow. Yuck. Have a great day :)

    Lisa
    A Mermaid's Crafts

    ReplyDelete
  7. Awesome job in creating your lovely box to store all those cards.....

    ReplyDelete
  8. I stayed til the end. You must be such a patient lady. Very beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh Karon you did a amazing job on the box my friend. I love the colors and the stitching. What a lovely way to store those beautiful card.
    Have a creative day.
    Hugs Nana
    ♥ My Crafting Channel ♥
    ♥ Nana's Rag Quilts ♥
    ♥ 2 Creative Chicks ♥
    ♥ Silhouette Challenges ♥

    ReplyDelete
  10. Karon, your box is GORGEOUS! What a lovely way to hold those beautiful cards. The leathery red is amazing and I love the festive polka dots. :o) Stunning work as always, my friend! (And I'm sorry for the snow! Mine is finally melting and hope yours does the same!)

    Hugs and blessings,
    Karen

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wow! Karon, this is a gorgeous box. The paper and the details are fabulous. Great job.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Snow!!!??? Oh my. And today I was thinking maybe I should turn our air conditioning on! Yes, it got that hot down here. I Love, love, love your card box! So cute. Fabulous way to make it and the papers are wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  13. More snow!!! Oh no!!!
    Hope it melts away real soon.
    I LOVE how your box turned out and that it matches your sweet cards.
    Thanks for sharing your box at Craftin Desert Divas.
    Crafty hugs,
    D~
    DesignsByDragonfly.blogspot
    Craftin Desert Divas Guest Designer

    ReplyDelete
  14. This box is lovely and your cards and envelopes fit perfectly in it .
    I don't like that photo….mind you we are in the middle of a snow storm right now ;(

    ReplyDelete
  15. wow! awesome box project!

    ReplyDelete
  16. great project and tut. thanks for joining us at craftitude, good luck
    caroline dt

    ReplyDelete
  17. the sleet/snow surprised us on Sunday, it was beautiful to see but I'm SO done with it now!

    Gorgeous box Karon, such a great finishing touch for all your beautiful cards!!

    Enjoy your day!
    our snow is melted except the piles along the road where they needed to plow...ugh, but the sun is shining brightly today.

    ReplyDelete
  18. What a lovely, lovely box Karon! I, too, like how the textured cardstock looks like leather. This is a really fine set. Whether it is a gift and/or you intend to use them up little by little, this is a really neat project.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Okay so as I said before your cards are BEAUTIFUL but the box is just GORGEOUS!!!
    It looks just like the suitcase...
    Love! Love! Love!
    Thank you so much for joining us at Craftin Desert Divas Linky Party.
    Have a wonderful day my creative friend,
    Migdalia
    *Crafting With Creative M*

    ReplyDelete
  20. Love the pics of the snow, wish I had snow here....your little tut on the box is useful...gosh I just threw out cardboard into the recycle and it's gone maybe I can do this with the next lot I get. looks super awesome.xx

    ReplyDelete
  21. This is incredible Karon! It looks so sturdy, and I love the paper!!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Karon, the box is so beautiful made I love that it match the cards. Well done.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Fabulous box and perfect for those lovely cards Karon. Lovely view of the snow, I wish we had some here in Los Angeles:) Have a great evening my friend.
    Hugs,
    Norma

    ReplyDelete
  24. Hi Karon,
    this box is simply amazing, all the hard work you put into this project was certainly worth it. Thanks for sharing all the photos of the steps as well.
    Thanks so much for sharing your card at Anything goes, Just keep on creating, always a pleasure to see your you have made.

    ReplyDelete
  25. What a fabulous box to house those wonderful cards! Thanks for sharing your process!

    ReplyDelete
  26. What an adorable box! love the colors and design
    Thanks for sharing it in our challenge over at Scribble and Scrap
    Sharon (DT)

    p.s. we are getting fed up of the snow here in Michigan too - hopefully ours has started to go for good this time x

    ReplyDelete
  27. Thank you for joining us at Craftin Desert Divas. What an incredible project!!!

    Hugs, Melissa DT

    ReplyDelete
  28. What a wonderful box, beautifully made. This is a lovely idea for a gift. Thanks for the instructions.
    The snow looks so pretty in the photos.

    ReplyDelete
  29. I like boxes, and yours is really gorgeous! I love the details of the borders and the dotted paper you used to cover the box. Thank you for sharing with us this project and explaining how to do it. I'll take inspiration from it!

    Mariangela ;-)

    ReplyDelete

I would like to thank you for stopping by my blog today. All your comments are really appreciated. Happy crafting everyone and have a great day.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...