Tuesday, 15 April 2014

How I make Shaped cards in Silhouette Design Studio

Hi everyone.  It's my turn to share a post over at Sheila's blog today, She's a Sassy Lady.  Thanks Sheila, for letting me come over and share with all your followers every month.

Today, I thought I would share with you, how I use Silhouette Design Studio to design shaped cards.

Firstly, I tend to look for digis that will be balanced when cut.  So straight edges or places on the bottom line that are level.  I think you can probably, just about, do any digi image and make it into a full size card.

So import the digi that you feel is suitable and open it in Design Studio.  Today I am using an easel and image from the new Work and Play 3 Collection, at Polkadoodles.  I am going to make a Thank you card for a teacher :-)


If you click on the images, it will make them larger.

I have traced the pre-coloured image and then I offset the image by 0.125 using the offset tab.



Taking the offset image, I then flip it using the Replicate tab, and Mirror above.


Then I take the flipped image, and bring it down to the lower image, until it meets nicely, at a position I feel comfortable using. (depending on the image, and whether you are doing a mirror above, or mirror left right - the principle is the same)


Group the images together and then right click and weld, and you will end up with a card base ready to cut. 


At this point I also place the original image on the card base and size it how I want it.  Then separate the images once again.


I cut the card base first on kraft card, then using the print and cut feature I cut out the easel and the image (to be coloured). Scoring the card base using my score board.


Pop them all together and add a sentiment.  There you have it - a great teacher appreciation card.


I popped the teacher up onto some pop dots to add some dimension.


For the inside, just some little numbers and white area, to add your message.


And there you have it a great card for a teacher.


I hope you were able to follow the tutorial, please don`t hesitate to ask if you need something clarifying.

This card is being entered in the following challenges.

Just Keep on Creating April Link Up - Anything Goes (closes 26 April)

DL ART - April Linky Challenge: Anything Goes (closes 30 April)

Crafting by Design - April Anything Goes challenge (closes 25 April)

Challenges 4 Everybody - Challenge #40: Anything Goes (closes 2 May)

Creative Fingers Challenges - Challenge #31: Anything Goes (closes 17 Apr)

Thanks for stopping by today.

Happy crafting.

35 comments:

  1. This is absolutely fabulous Karon, I love it!!!!
    Kevin xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow Karon, great post, I don't have a Silhouette but have been keeping my eye on them so this will be a post I will refer back to for sure!!! What a spectacular card and I certainly see what you mean by it being balanced,,just brilliant! The teacher who receives this will be just tickled pink, awesome job my friend!! Hugs

    ReplyDelete
  3. AWESOME tutorial and adorable shaped card!! LOVE this :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is awesome. Thank you so much for sharing your lovely creation with us at Challenges 4 Everybody.

    Hugs
    Cathy DT Member
    xxxxxx

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your card is cute, cute, cute. Love the tutorial thanks for sharing.
    Have a creative day.
    Hugs Nana
    ♥ My Crafting Channel ♥
    ♥ Nana's Rag Quilts ♥
    ♥ 2 Creative Chicks ♥
    ♥ Silhouette Challenges ♥

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have so forwarded this on to my friend with a Silhouette! You are so good about making clear instructions and that card is fabulous!

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is just the cutest card!! I love the images you used!! The shape is fabulous!! I wish I had a Silhouette so I could learn from your tutorial!! Have a great day :)

    Lisa
    A Mermaid's Crafts

    ReplyDelete
  8. This card is adorable and I am paying close attention to the instructions as I need to learn how to do this! Thanks for sharing today at She's A Sassy Lady.

    ReplyDelete
  9. TFS the super cute tutorial!!!
    Adorable shaped card! Love it!!
    Have a wonderful day my friend,
    Migdalia
    *Crafting With Creative M*

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks teacher...an inspirational tutorial and love the way you have explained it to us all....thank you.x

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wow. This is really impressive, Karon.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Your card is adorable…as always :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. This is such a fun card, I love the black board and the teacher! Super tutorial, too!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Great tutorial!! Love your card! Thanks for joining us this week at Creative Fingers!

    Mei
    LTC DT
    Anyone for Anya DT
    Stampavie and More DT
    Creative Fingers DT 

    ReplyDelete
  15. Awww...what a cute card! Thanks for sharing your process...I just don't use my Cameo much...even though I have a gazillion files!lol

    ReplyDelete
  16. Awesome! Thanks for joining at Creative Fingers: Anything Goes with Polkadoodles
    Hugs
    Dewi

    ReplyDelete
  17. What a fabulous card! Can't think of a better way to thank your teacher. Work & Play looks like a lot of fun.
    hugs, Asha

    ReplyDelete
  18. Now that was a fun tutorial! I can't live with my silhouette and seeing this tutorial was perfect. I hardly ever use offset and now I think I will use it SO much more!
    Gorgeous Teacher Appreciation card. Hugs to you,
    Lisa x

    ReplyDelete
  19. Great tutorial and such a cute card! Thanks for sharing!!

    Jess
    Everything Is Coming Up Rosie

    ReplyDelete
  20. Your easel is adorable! Great job with the pictures and instructions to make a shaped card. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  21. This is one of my favorites! Love that blackboard. Cute!!!

    ReplyDelete
  22. this is so adorable! love it!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Oh Karon, this card is precious, creative, and all things lovely! And your tutorial is fantastic! This is how I make my shaped bases with cut files, but I've never done it with a digi. Thank you for sharing with us! :o)

    Hugs and blessings,
    Karen

    ReplyDelete
  24. A fab card and great tutorial. So darn cute and a great way to say thank you to a teacher.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Oh my! What an adorable card! Love it!! Some day I'll have to give this a try. Wonderful tutorial! Thank you!!

    ReplyDelete
  26. Karon this card is darling!!!

    ReplyDelete
  27. This card is fabulous! Oh my goodness - I love it. What a fun card, that little teacher is just too cute and I love the chalkboard behind her. Great tutorial also - you are amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  28. ADORABLE!
    Thanks for the tutorial.
    Crafty hugs,
    D~
    DesignsbyDragonfly.blogspot

    ReplyDelete
  29. This is just amazing Karon, I have to start using my Silohutte properly, have been so busy. I love everything about this project, so imaginative and fun.
    Thanks so much for sharing your card at Anything goes, Just keep on creating, hope you will continue to share your lovely creations.

    ReplyDelete
  30. Awesome tutorial Karon and a lovely card too!!!

    Susie

    ReplyDelete
  31. OMG! how ADORABLE is this card, OMGGGG!! love it
    Thank you for sharing and I hope you also had a wonderful Easter with your family:)
    Hugs,
    Norma

    ReplyDelete
  32. Wonder informative post Karon. What a cute easel and little girl design.

    Hugs diane

    ReplyDelete
  33. This is such a fun design Karon. Just adore the black board with the cool teacher.
    Hugs
    Desíre
    {Doing Life – my personal blog}

    ReplyDelete
  34. Gorgeous and stunning Karon. I love this shape card it is beautiful.

    ReplyDelete

I would like to thank you for stopping by my blog today. All your comments are really appreciated. Happy crafting everyone and have a great day.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...