Tuesday, 27 May 2014

A "little" tutorial and some new storage :-)

Hi everyone.  How is your week going?  I have to go look after a friends little ones today.  My friend is currently going through treatments for breast cancer, so I help out with the kiddies when she needs me. She has finished chemo and now is starting radiation, so has to go for some tests and preparations, today.

A picture heavy post, so if you want to grab a coffee, now would be a good time :-)

I thought I would share a quick tutorial with you today.  I made a box card last week (see the post below), smaller than the normal box cards that you see around, that are made with 12" by 12" card stock.

I used a piece of 8.5" by 11" card stock for mine and thought I would share the measurements.  Will also be a permanent record for me to refer to :-)

Start off by cutting 1" off the card stock, so that you are left with a piece that is 7.5" by 11".  Keep the 1" strip to use later.

Step 1, you need to score along the long edge at 1/2", 3 1/8", 5 3/4", 8 3/8".  I have penned in the score lines just to show you.


Step 2, score on the short edge at 4 1/2".


Step 3, make a tab on the 1/2" score line, and then cut down the other three score lines to the 4 1/2" score line.  I have placed a ruler in between to show what I mean :-)


Step 4, fold all the vertical score lines.  But only fold three of the horizontal score lines, as shown.


Step 5, put some tape on the small tab and line it up with the opposite edge to form your box.


And finally, using the 1" strip that you kept from earlier.  You did keep it, didn't you?! :-)

Cut two pieces that are 3 5/8" each.  And then score at 1/2" in from both sides. 


Finally, add some tape to both 1/2" sides and insert them into the box at the top.  These will be your anchors for your decorations etc.


I will show you the finished box and the panels, hopefully tomorrow.  Not sure how long I am kiddie minding today :-)

You know, I am also wondering if I could go even smaller - I think these box cards would make fabulous table place cards - what do you think.  I will share the measurements, another time ;-)

I also wanted to share with you some new storage I was able to lay my hands on.  A friend was getting rid of this fabulous storage unit and I just had to have it :-)

Meet my new colouring station :-)


I am so pleased with this unit.  The bottom of it actually swings out to the right, to more storage and makes it into a desk.


Oh and I wanted to share a recent purchase with you!  I am investing in Copic markers.  I can only get so many every now and again and am buying both Ciao and Sketch to stretch the budget a bit.  I have a grand total of 41 at the moment, LOL!  I made the storage, that you see all over the internet at the moment, it's perfect.  I have also put my Stampin' Up and CTMH markers in there for now.


I now have all my pens, pencils and inks in one place. 


It has a light above the desk area - Andy said he will replace this with LED lights and also add some lighting in the top area of the unit too - where I have my inks.


The CD racks on the left - holds my newly organised dies and the one on the right is full of See D's stamps. Also have some CTMH stamps in the box on the right too.

So, if your still with me, I hope you have a fabulous rest of the week.  Hopefully be back tomorrow with another box card finished.  Did you spy the colouring? :-)

Thanks for stopping by today.

Happy crafting.

26 comments:

  1. Thank You so much for this tutorial Karon!!! I will be making this today and will certainly let you know how it turns out...you did a lovely picture tutorial, many many thanks, that was fast!lol
    I love your new coloring space, you are fortunate to have so much room, I am using my porch... you are so organized. I am touched you are helping your friend out, that is so beautiful of you and my thoughts and prayers are with the whole family. Hugs

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for sharing the box measurements! :)

    Love your new find...sooooo cool that it swings open for an additional table space. And LOVE your colouring station. Looks like you can buy a lot of copics. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wonderful tutorial and I'm loving the new workspace!!!!! So much room to organize and color in. That is a fabulous find. :) Keeping your friend in my thoughts and prayers.
    Lisa xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hallo Karon, thank you for the tutorial on the pop up box. Your crafting room looks so neat and organised. Congratulations on our new workbench and your Copic markers. So sorry to hear about your friend, she is very lucky to have you as friend for good support. Have a wonderful week. Hugs Anet

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a GREAT tutorial Karon!!!! Thanks for sharing it!
    Your coloring station looks AMAZING!!!! WOW have fun being creative in that space :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. What an awesome tutorial!! I've been wanting to make one of the box cards so thank you for taking the time to write out the directions!!

    Your new storage cabinet is awesome!! What a fabulous find!! Everything looks so gorgeous inside!!

    My prayers for your friend as she undergoes treatment. Have a great day :)

    Lisa
    A Mermaid's Crafts

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks for the great tutorial!! Love the new storage :-) Looks like you've got plenty of room for all your coloring goodies :-)

    ~ Jess ~
    Everything Is Coming Up Rosie

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks for the tutorial. I am sort of a visual girl anyway. Love your new storage unit, very nice. I have lost my mojo and only realized the other day that I had not been getting any email post from a lot of people I subscribe to. Then all at once they showed up, go figure. Will say a prayer for you friend.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks for the tutorial, Karon. I have previously created one that is just 6 inches high before scoring and cutting. You can see the post here http://www.creative-em.com/2014/02/card-in-box.html

    I used measurements for that one from Extreme Cards and Papercraft (linked in my own post) and Carole uses a slightly different technique for the struts, creating a rectangle first. This might be easier for you too.

    Thanks again for the tute :)
    Hugs, Em

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks for the tutorial! This will come in handy! And Wow!!! Your storage unit is awesome! And I'm loving your Copic collection and the storage case you made!

    ReplyDelete
  11. FIrst and foremost, I've said a prayer for your friend and am sending her all of my love! I'm thankful she has you to count on during this tribulation. You are such a blessing, Karon!

    Your tutorial is fantastic, as always! Thank you for taking the time to do that for everyone. :o) And your new unit is amazing! Your set-up is simply marvelous and it must be such a joy to create in it. :o) I hope you have a wonderful day. :o)

    Hugs and blessings,
    Karen

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a wonderful tutorial my friend! I still have not tried my hand at one of these amazing box cards - but plan to one day soon. I love your new coloring station! I love to have a specific "home" for my crafting supplies. I love that you have everything you need to color right at hand -awesome!
    My very best wishes to your friend. I know that she must feel so relieved to know that her babies are in such kind, loving hands while she undergoes her treatments. One less thing for her to worry about. I hope all goes well for her ♥

    ReplyDelete
  13. One of my favourite box cards as you know....I have one I just cut and cut over and over on the cameo...so easy to put together...so you will help a lot of lovely ladies out there...great storage for your copics, I have around 150 markers so mine sit in a few draws in bundles but works well for me as I can take my little unit outside to colour as well....love your new storage unit...have fun now colouring.
    My big 'reach 550' candy is on...
    Annie

    ReplyDelete
  14. Great tut, Karon. Looking forward to seeing the finished card. And I so LOOOOVE the colouring station. I want! lol. Have a lovely week!
    hugs, Asha

    ReplyDelete
  15. Oh my goodness, I LOVE your new colouring area.
    So great!!!
    I love the swing out arm desk, so so cool.

    ReplyDelete
  16. What a fab "creation station" !! Love the tutorial too I'm going to have a go!! xx

    ReplyDelete
  17. Great tutorial, Karon. Love the new coloring station.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Love your post. I made three of the pop up box cards for Mother's Day and they were a hit. I used the directions from Splitcoaststampers and the cards are not A2 size, but they have direx for that too. I also have a set of these cards from SVGcuts that I'm anxious to try. Such fun to make. And your new coloring station is awesome. Hope your friend is doing well.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Nice tutorial, Karon. You are very clear and the pictures are a perfect help, as usual.

    I love the peak into your new coloring station. So organized. I am encouraged that we will see more coloring of images soon!

    I hope that your day yesterday was filled with laughter and hope and that you gave a bunch away to your friend. May God heal her of her cancer.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Your craft area looks like a dream! Very nifty marker holder too! Very thorough tutorial, thank you--I don't know how you have time to do so many things with everything going on in your life. I hope your friend stays strong for her family and makes a speedy recovery!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Thanks for sharing the awesome tutorial. I absolutely Love your new coloring space!! WOW!! I love it!!I need more space.
    Have a wonderful day my friend,
    Migdalia
    *Crafting With Creative M*

    ReplyDelete
  22. What a dear friend you are to help a friend in need. Prayers for your friend. Thanks for the tutorial. can't wait to see the finished project. Love your new coloring station. Nothing like being organized. Have a creative day.
    Hugs Nana
    ♥ My Crafting Channel ♥
    ♥ Nana's Rag Quilts ♥
    ♥ 2 Creative Chicks ♥
    ♥ Silhouette Challenges ♥

    ReplyDelete
  23. great tutorial and awesome new storage/coloring station unit!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Super tutorial for the box Karon, and your new sation looks incredible!

    ReplyDelete
  25. I need a storage unit like yours....how perfect, what a fabulous unit! Its does make things easier when it is so so organised! Thanks for the great tutorial! Happy weekend to you!

    ReplyDelete
  26. First off thank you for helping your friend out. I'm sure she appreciates it so much. And I'm sure it helps her to know her kiddos are in such good loving hands. Hugs.
    Thanks for the tutorial. Great pics and instructions.
    Oh my I LOVE your coloring desk.
    Thanks for sharing.
    Crafty hugs,
    D~
    DesignsByDragonfly.blogspot

    ReplyDelete

I would like to thank you for stopping by my blog today. All your comments are really appreciated. Happy crafting everyone and have a great day.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...