Tuesday, 18 November 2014

From Trash to Treasure!

Hello everyone.  Last week you may recall me mentioning that I was going to do something with a "trashy" novel!  Some of you thought decoupage of some sort, but I'm afraid no-one came close :-)

I am sharing this post over at She's a Sassy Lady for my little visit each month.

Today I have something a little different to share with you all.  Grab a coffee and stay awhile.

Have you ever wondered what to do with those books you no longer want?


Well, I recently found this great tutorial on You tube to Change a book into a holiday tree.

I just couldn't resist doing this and found the folding quite relaxing.  You need to have a book that has 150 pages or more.  Start off folding the pages.  Here's the first few folded.


The first 50 folded :-)


You keep going to at least 150, don't think you will get much more than that but you can try.


Next I sprayed it with some Tim Holtz Bundled Sage Distress Ink.  Also some Perfect Pearls mist, Heirloom Gold and then I had to add some really fine Glitter glue, to give it a little more sparkle.


Next up, some luxury ribbon, and a lovely star.  The star was from Michaels, there were three and they are called Merry Mini's.  They are meant to be hanging ornaments but I cut off the small link and was able to use it for the top of my tree :-)


Then came the fun part, finishing it off.  I wanted to make it into a table decoration.  I took the lid from a 9" round Christmas gift box and used it as the stand.  I placed the tree on a little lid (just to raise it up a bit) from another small box.  


The tiny little gift boxes were cut with my Silhouette Cameo, using the box from Birds Cards, I sized them in Silhouette Design Studio, so that my finished boxes were 1.5" square, 0.75" square and even as small as 0.5" square. Then added some ribbon to make them look really Christmassy.


The Father Christmas was just a little find at the Dollar Store, he is the perfect size for my little centre piece.


I so enjoyed making this and can see me making more, I might even make some for some gifts.


And there you have it, from "trashy" novel to a Christmas treasure.  What do you think?


I think I will have to make another one, because I would like to see if I could add some miniature Christmas lights to one :-)

I hope to have my Advent Calender, yes you guessed right on that one, completed in the next few days.

I am entering this in the following challenges.

Winter Wonderland - Christmas Decorations (closes 20 Nov)

Crafty Catz - Challenge #255: Christmas is Coming (closes 20 Nov)

DL.ART - Thankful Thursday Challenge #144: Anything Christmas (closes 25 Nov)

Allsorts Challenge Blog - Challenge #285: Anything but a Card (closes 21 Nov)

Love to Create Challenge Blog - Challenge #142: Make it for Christmas (closes 23 Nov)

Dream Valley Challenges - Challenge #95: Anything Goes (closes 28 Nov)

Thanks so much for all your lovely comments and encouragement, I really do appreciate each and everyone of you.

Thanks for stopping by today.

Happy crafting.

39 comments:

  1. OMG Karon you have out done yourself with this, I absolutely love it, what a fantastic way to make the tree and I love the christmas scene you have created Stunning!!!
    Kevin xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yours is the most elegant book tree I've seen. This made a fabulous piece of decoration. Fabulous job.

    ReplyDelete
  3. WOW WOW WOW!!!! Karon this is AWESOME!!!!! LOVE that idea and your finished tree looks AMAZING!!
    Super job my friend!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Who thinks of these things? You have done such an amazing job here. Wow and double wow.

    ReplyDelete
  5. OMG I LOVE IT! Karon, it is stunning! :) xxx

    ReplyDelete
  6. When I saw the sneak peek yesterday I knew it would be a tree, but I had no idea of how beautiful it would be. This is so cute. Can I scraplift this.

    ReplyDelete
  7. WOW, wie schön
    ich bin ganz begeistert
    glg Gertrude

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow, wow, wow Karon, this is stunning, the tree looks amazing, if I hadn't seen your photos I wouldn't have believed it was a real book! Your finished scene is beautiful. Thank you so much for joining us at Allsorts this week for our Anything But a Card challenge x

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a gorgeous little tableau!! Spookily I am in the middle of doing something very similar!! xx

    ReplyDelete
  10. So cool! Love your "finishing off" - the trim is an awesome addition!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh my gosh, Karon, this is amazing!! You would never know that used to be a book!! You did such a fabulous job with this!! It will look amazing as a centerpiece!! Thanks so much for playing along at My Craft Spot!! Have a great day :)

    Lisa
    A Mermaid's Crafts

    ReplyDelete
  12. This is gorgeous and would make beautiful gifts.

    ReplyDelete
  13. This is so adorable Karon, Was that a good book? I love how it came out and the tiny presents are so fun!!Come back again it is unlimited entries for this challenge
    Thank you for joining my DL.ART Thankful Thursday #144 “ANYTHING CHRISTMAS” challenge, Have a Blessed day, DIANA L.
    http://dianamlarson.blogspot.com http://dianamlarson.ctmh.com



    ReplyDelete
  14. Your tree looks amazing...I attempted this many moons back but gave up as it didnt look half as good as yours
    Cheers
    Dr Sonia
    Cards Crafts Kids Projects

    ReplyDelete
  15. Wow Karon........your tree looks absolutely fabulous, what a beautiful decoration for your table!

    ReplyDelete
  16. This is adorable! My mom made
    Santa and Mrs. Claus back in the day with this technique. Always creating, that's Karon.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Will you marry me? Seriously...you're brain is awesome! Okay, so we're both already married. How about I just move in? I LOVE your ideas. SO STINKING AWESOME!! :)
    Smut novels here I come..... :D
    hugs,
    Lisa x

    ReplyDelete
  18. This is amazing! I must share it to Google+! Fantastic project!

    ReplyDelete
  19. This is awesome.
    I love it…and this is what I thought it might be, but looks so much better than any of the other ones I have seen!!
    I like that you made it into a scene, so cute

    ReplyDelete
  20. I LOVE LOVE LOVE your GORGEOUS tree. What a fun idea. Thanks for sharing.
    Crafty hugs,
    D~
    DesignsByDragonfly.blogspot

    ReplyDelete
  21. Karon, this is AMAZING! There's no greater treasure than Christmas, so this is the ultimate transformation! The tree itself is stunning and I love the entire scene. The tiny gifts are adorable, the Santa is perfect, and the stand for it is fabulous. Exceptional work, my friend! Can't wait to see your next one. :o)

    Hugs and blessings,
    Karen

    ReplyDelete
  22. What a really different and pretty decoration Karon, it's perfect for our theme this week.

    Thanks so sharing your lovely creation with us at Allsorts challenge.

    B x

    ReplyDelete

  23. WOW Karon this is just gorgeous....super gorgeous.xxx

    The Journey is the Start

    ReplyDelete
  24. Super stunning, Karon! The only difficult thing for me is finding a book I don't need! This really is a treasure. Well done, my friend!
    hugs, Asha

    ReplyDelete
  25. Stunning!You've blown me away with this. Claire x

    ReplyDelete
  26. This really is one stunning creation. That tree is amazing and you have created the perfect scene with it. Thanks for joining in with our 'Christmas Decorations' challenge at Winter Wonderland this week, and good luck
    Eileen x

    ReplyDelete
  27. A stunning project really love it Jo x

    ReplyDelete
  28. OMG!! This is just BEAUTIFUL!!
    very Creative and Fabulous!
    Have a wonderful day my friend,
    Migdalia
    *Crafting With Creative M*

    ReplyDelete
  29. I've made one of those before, but mine was from a magazine! Aren't they fun?! I love how you dressed yours up though! SO fancy and cute! Smiles, Jill

    ReplyDelete
  30. I LOVE how this turned out! It's such a beautiful display piece!

    ReplyDelete
  31. I just saw this in the Top Picks over at the Allsorts challenge and had to pop over for a closer look. It really is wonderful and so well put together with the little pressies xx

    ReplyDelete
  32. Oh my! I love this! May have to find the time to give it a try!! If your book is bigger than 150 pages do you just cut the excess off?

    ReplyDelete
  33. Gorgeous project! Love how you recycled the book to create the tree! Thank you for joining our "Make it for Christmas" Challenge at Love to Create this week.
    Ruza ~ LTC Admin/Designer
    Ruza's Craft Corner

    ReplyDelete
  34. What a great project this turned out to be. I came here from the inkydinkydoodle dot blogspot dot co dot uk
    Zsuzsa did a book tree and linked us back to see where she got the idea from. I am glad she did as I am now following your work too. Thank you for sharing!!

    ReplyDelete
  35. Hello Karon, I have just seen your project on another blog, wow this is just stunning and I'm going to have to try this. Just amazing.

    Teighan

    ReplyDelete
  36. Wow!! Your tree book looks amazing! What a clever way to reuse a "trashy" book! Such a sweet little scene too.

    Thanks so much for playing along with us at My Craft Spot!

    Kate
    Small Bits of Paper

    ReplyDelete
  37. OH WOW!! A fabulous project. I love your decorated tree and then you created such a lovely scene. Just beautiful

    ReplyDelete
  38. What a fab idea - I love it! Thank you for joining our "Anything goes" challenge at Dream Valley :-) Love 'n' hugs, Mel xx

    ReplyDelete

I would like to thank you for stopping by my blog today. All your comments are really appreciated. Happy crafting everyone and have a great day.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...