Saturday, 29 August 2015

Simply Saturday #3 - Steampunk Owl

Helllooo - It's Saturday!  We are heading to New Jersey this weekend to do some clothes craft shopping for the girls me ;-)

Earlier in the week - Thursday - I spent some time in the craft room.  I actually did some things that I haven't done in a while.

I have had this Steampunk Owl stamp (by Stampendous) for absolutely ages (like probably around 5 years!) and would occasionally look at it.  Then the other day I was inspired by this post by Julia of Paradise Lost.

I am going to see if I can get some of those new birds by Tim Holtz whilst I'm away.

In the meantime, here is what I came up with.  Can you see the key he is holding in his claws? :-)


I actually did some heat embossing!  Yay me LOL!

I stamped the owl 4 times and then heat embossed, all four, after applying Moon Glow Two-tone Embossing Powder in Midnight Gold Obsidian.  (Now this embossing powder is over 10 years old, but it took beautifully).

The owl is stamped on Recollections card stock in cream, all four times and then I coloured the owl with my limited supply (58 LOL!) of Copic markers.  Because of the heat embossing no bleeding of the ink :-)  The first layer is cut out using a Spellbinders Labels 8 die.


Of course I couldn't resist doing a little bit of decoupage on this owl.  He is gorgeous!

I distressed the edges and then inked up with Tim Holtz Tea Dye Distress Ink.


The metal embellishments are all from Michaels, their Studio G range.

For the inside I added some of the same papers as the front, but also added this ticket as my message panel.

I forgot to tell you, all the designer papers are from the fabulous DCWV stack called The Timeless Type.

So, what do you think of my venture out of my comfort zone - does it look OK?


Do you think he looks better, with or without the key in his claws.  Let me know :-) 


So, that's it for today.  Hope you all have a wonderful weekend.

I am entering this card in the following challenges.

Craft Catz - Challenge #290: Golden Oldie (closes 3 Sept)

Simon Says Wednesday Challenge - Anything Goes (closes 2 Sept)

Thanks for stopping by today.

Happy crafting.

26 comments:

  1. This is beautiful,lovely image and details.xxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. WOW Karon! This is amazing!! FABULOUS job my friend!!!
    Have a great time in New Jersey!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is fabulous Karon, I love the owl and the metal embellishments
    Kevin xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. WOW this is absolutely stunning. Love all the embellishments and of course that owl.
    Have a creative day.
    Hugs Nana
    ♥ My Crafting Channel ♥
    ♥ 2 Creative Chicks ♥
    ♥ Silhouette Challenges ♥
    ♥ Paper & Stitches ♥

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think the card is unusual and charming and eye catching. The coloring is spot on, the layering adds so much interest and I like it when he's holding the key! Great card, Karon.

    ReplyDelete
  6. OMGee! This is gorgeous!!! I love steampunk but can't seem to grasp doing it. I love the owl. the metal pieces. embossing, coloring and paper. I'm just nuts about this card. It's fabulous! Realy love this!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Fabulous! I love the owl and steampunk is my favourite too.
    Hugs
    Linda xxx

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is so awesome!! I love the steampunk owl!! All of the details you added are just perfect!! What a fabulous card this is!! Have a safe trip and I hope you find lots of bargains!! Have a great day :)

    Lisa
    A Mermaid's Crafts

    ReplyDelete
  9. A fabulous card Karon, a super design and colour combo.......your image is stunning and wonderful elements!!

    hugs
    Heather xx
    Thanks you so much for joining us with Simon Says Stamp Wednesday Challenge>

    ReplyDelete
  10. Amazing!!!Such stunning details! I absolutely love this!!
    Beautiful!!
    Have a blessed day,
    Millie
    Crafting With Creative M

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh, this is SO cool. Really fabulous, Karon. Hugs, Teresa

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wow! or should I say Owl! Love your card!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Karon, this is spectacular! The owl is a work of art. The heat embossing is stunning! It doesn't appear as though you're out of your comfort zone in the least. :o) I like the key tucked away in his claws, but think it would be fabulous either way! Beautifully done, my friend. Enjoy your trip! :o)

    Hugs and blessings,
    Karen

    ReplyDelete
  14. This is soooo COOL Karon!!! LOVE the design and all the elements!! :)
    Have fun shopping for the girls -- ummmm YOU! LOL

    Theresa
    Theresa’s Crafty Creations

    ReplyDelete
  15. I saw your steampunk owl on Facebook and it is amazing! Love it!! Hope you found lots of crafty stuff and clothes while shopping! :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Gorgeous card, what a fabulous stamp and love the he has hold of the key, love the depth you've given him with the decoupaging, thanks for joining us at Crafty Catz this week, Jac x

    ReplyDelete
  17. Beautiful card :)
    How on earth do you give your cards away..I would hoard each and every one ;)

    ReplyDelete
  18. Wow this is just gorgeous Karon, love all the detail. Well done. Anet x

    ReplyDelete
  19. With, with, with the key!! :) LOL....he's AWESOME!!!

    ReplyDelete
  20. A beautiful card. I love all the detail and the great image

    ReplyDelete
  21. This is gorgeous. Steampunk is such a tricky style but you've nailed it. Well done, you!
    hugs, Asha

    ReplyDelete
  22. Wow...just...wow! This guy is amazing, the texture and dimension is just fabulous. The image is just stunning, so many fun details and you have really brought him to life. I love everything about this amazing card!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Your work is always amazing, and this own - perfection.

    ReplyDelete

I would like to thank you for stopping by my blog today. All your comments are really appreciated. Happy crafting everyone and have a great day.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...