Wednesday, 11 November 2015

What's New Wednesday - Lest We Forget

Today is Remembrance Day and the day that we take pride in the fact that our Forces kept/keep us safe, not only in the past but to this very day.

I am proud to say that I am ex Royal Air Force (9 years) along with my husband (18 years) and wear my HMForces Veterans Badge and my Poppy with great pride.

Today we also start a new challenge over at Emerald Creek Dares and our theme is Remembrance. That doesn't mean it has to do with Remembrance Day, it could be how you choose to remember someone special or memories of a special time. You only have to check out what the design team have been up to, so why not pop along.



As I said earlier, I am a Veteran, although that word does make me feel rather old, but proud :-)  So, I decided to create something as my way of remembering and supporting our troops and a tribute to those that died/survived by risking their lives for us.


I used a 7 Gypsies Solo Shadow Box in black, that measures 6.5" by 6.5", it was perfect for what I had in my head.

The focus is on the Flanders Field poem by Major (later Lieutenant-Colonel) John McCrae and around the edge of the box I took the one verse that everyone remembers of the Ode to Remembrance by Laurence Binyon.

They shall grow not old, as we that are left grow old
Age shall not weary them, nor the years condemn.
At the going down of the sun and in the morning
We will remember them.

Lest we Forget


I found a template many moons ago for the poppy (I'm sorry I cannot find who it was by), used my Silhouette Design Studio to trace the template and cut in card stock.  Then I shaped the poppy and the leaves and inked the edges.  The poppy was inked with Distress Ink Pad Fired Brick and the leaves with Forest Moss.  

For the centre of my poppies, I used the fabulous Flower Daisy Dot brads.  I first applied some Black Soot Distress Paint and then also added some Slate Alcohol Ink, then popped them through the centre of my poppy.   


Then I found a free clip art picture of a soldier head bowed by a cross and new it was the perfect silhouette image to add to my shadow box.  I traced and cut it in black card stock, raised it up on pop-dots which adds the shadow effect.


I have to say that I am so pleased with how this turned out and has to be one of my all time favourite makes!

The Poppies stamp was coloured with Lyra Rembrandt Pencils and matched my made poppies perfectly.  I did mask off the butterflies that are on the original stamp.


The font for the text is from my computer and is called Lucida Calligraphy, I felt it fitted perfect for this project.

Here is a photo of me in my Royal Air Force uniform many moons ago :-)  Was 20 years old in this photo and just finished training :-) Sorry it's a scan from a photo!


All the edges of the paper layers were inked with Distress Ink Pad Vintage Photo.



And one last look at my finished creation.


Why not show us what you create to make memories and share with us over at Emerald Creek Dares. You could win a $25 gift certificate to the store!


I am entering this creation in the following challenges.

Simon Says Stamp Monday Challenge - Create something beginning with the letter "N" - mine Never Forget, Always Remember :-)  (closes 16 Nov)

Decorate to Celebrate - Challenge #113: Anything Goes (closes 24 Nov)

Crafting From the Heart - Challenge #85: Always Anything Goes (closes 15 Nov)

Craft your Passion Challenges - Challenge #287: Always Anything Goes (closes 15 Nov)

Craft Rocket Challenges - Challenge November Anything Goes (closes 30 Nov)

Sisters of Craft - Challenge November Anything Goes (closes 30 Nov)

Thank you so much for stopping by today.     

Happy crafting.


33 comments:

  1. i thank you and remember you for your service to our country! a beautiful piece created from the heart.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your poppies look amazing and I love the overall look of the shadowbox..so glamorous it looks
    Cheers
    Dr Sonia

    ReplyDelete
  3. Gorgeous shadow box, love the poppies too!

    ReplyDelete
  4. WOW! This is gorgeous Karon!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is such a wonderful shadow box and those poppies are gorgeous!
    I would like to thank you and your husband for your years of service in the RAF.
    ~~julia~~

    ReplyDelete
  6. First thank you for serving, and thank you for sharing the beautiful project ,,,,,,,,,,,Lis DT craft Rocket Challenges.

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a beautiful shadow box and tribute! Thank you for serving your country. I did not know that and I am thrilled to know it. Even though we are from different countries we are "neighbors" and I appreciate the Canadian veterans just as much as I do ours here in the USA. So, again, thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is simply BEAUTIFUL Karon! Wonderful Tribute and Thanks for your service! It's wonderful to learn more about you! :) Have a great day!

    Theresa

    ReplyDelete
  9. Your shadow box is very pretty and has a lot of heart. Even though we are from different countries (USA) I want to thank you for your service. Being a veteran makes you pretty special. Please thank your hubby too.

    ReplyDelete
  10. This is a beautiful shadow box Karon! Love the poppy stamp and your poppy flowers! I want to thank you and your husband for your service.

    ReplyDelete
  11. This is absolutely gorgeous, Karon!! I love the beautiful shadowbox!! You did such an amazing job with it!! Thank you and your hubby for your service and in helping to make the world a better place!! Have a great day :)

    Lisa
    A Mermaid's Crafts

    ReplyDelete
  12. Karon, this is beautiful! Those poppies are amazing. So enjoyed getting to see you in your Royal Airforce Uniform. I admire you for your service to your country. Thank you for sharing your gorgeous project!

    ReplyDelete
  13. This is beautiful Karon! thank you and your hubby for your years of service!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Beautiful tribute. Thank you for your service, Karon!
    Hugs,
    Em x

    ReplyDelete
  15. Such a wonderful creation for a beautiful tribute.
    Have a blessed day,
    Migdalia
    Crafting With Creative M

    ReplyDelete
  16. Karon, I'm so weepy. I loved this and I am so honoured that you work with us. Thank you for all you have done now and in the past.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Your shadow box is both poignant and beautiful. I love your poppies.
    Thank you for your past service. My father served during WWII as a dispatch rider.
    hugs,
    Teresa

    ReplyDelete
  18. Absolutely stunning and from one in the UK thank you for your service to protect our country. I love this - it's beautiful and poignant Karen x

    ReplyDelete
  19. I LOVE that picture of you! I'm so happy you brought it back out again. You're adorable!! Your tribute is like no other and speaks directly to the heart. That silhouette you used says it all. What a beautiful way to say thank you and we'll never forget.
    I LOVE it!
    hugs to you,
    Lisa xx

    ReplyDelete
  20. What a wonderful and touching tribute to those who have sacrificed and served! In Flanders Fields is one of my favourite poems and it is wonderful to see it showcased so perfectly here. Thank you for sharing it and thanks to you and your husband for your service to our wonderful country. Deb xo

    ReplyDelete
  21. First let me say thanks to you and Andy for your service and sacrifices. Your shadow box i s beautiful. You can tell it was made with love. Fabulous pic of you in uniform.
    Have a creative day.
    Hugs Nana
    ♥ My Crafting Channel ♥
    ♥ 2 Creative Chicks ♥
    ♥ Silhouette Challenges ♥
    ♥ Paper & Stitches ♥

    ReplyDelete
  22. This is such a stunning project, Karon! Heartfelt thanks and gratitude to you and your hubby... and what a lovely way to celebrate and honor all. Every detail is exquisite and the entire project reflects your beautiful heart. Wonderfully done, my friend. Have a beautiful night. :o)

    Hugs and blessings,
    Karen

    ReplyDelete
  23. I saw your beautiful piece of art on the Emerald Creek's FB page and it touched my heart.
    Thank you to you and your husband <3

    ReplyDelete
  24. What a powerful post! I enjoyed reading it so much and am so grateful to those of you who give your lives to make sure that ours stay the very best they can be. And what a beautiful tribute project! I lived in London for about a year and a half and have such fond memories of seeing those poppies at this time of year. That flower now has a tender place in my heart and I loved how you paid homage to what it stands for. This shadowbox is striking in both its beauty and words. Thank you for using your talents to convey something so meaningful and for sharing your work with us for this week's Simon Says Stamp Monday Challenge!

    ReplyDelete
  25. Absolutely stunning, Karon. Lovely and poignant. We shall never forget.
    hugs Asha

    ReplyDelete
  26. This is so stunning and unforgettable. It should be one of your favorites. I hope it is a remembrance to us all to never forget. Especially with the tragedy in Paris last night...Thoughts and prayers to our soldiers near and far.

    ReplyDelete
  27. This is gorgeous...
    Thank you for joining us at Decorate to Celebrate!
    Lilian
    The Leaf Studio

    ReplyDelete
  28. Amazing. I love all the wonderful details on this gorgeous piece of art. The flowers and poem are lovely and the silhouette of the soldier is heart wrenching. Thank you, your hubby and your family for helping to keep our world safe and free.

    ReplyDelete
  29. Such a Beautiful post Karen....I really enjoyed reading it! Love your fabulous work of art.....a real piece to treasure! The poppies are gorgeous!
    ps....sorry its been a while since I visited, no time these days. Time to catch up!

    ReplyDelete
  30. This really is stunning. Thank you for sharing this with us over at Crafting from the Heart. Sue DT xx

    ReplyDelete
  31. Wow, totally amazing. Thank you so much for joining us at Craft Rocket this month. Hugs Traci DT xx

    ReplyDelete
  32. Beautiful project, very poignant. My sister was in the WRAF for six years also ! Thanks for joining in with the Sisters of Craft Challenge, good luck and best wishes, Anne DT.

    ReplyDelete

I would like to thank you for stopping by my blog today. All your comments are really appreciated. Happy crafting everyone and have a great day.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...