Tuesday, 15 March 2016

'Tis Tuesday - Easel Box Card Tutorial

Happy Tuesday.  I have a little bit of news to share before I get on with the post.

Shannon has been accepted by all three colleges she applied to, to become a Veterinary Technician. She has made her choice (which was the one she most wanted) and will be heading to Northern College, Ontario at the end of August.

I am so proud of her and all that she has achieved and can't believe she will be leaving home whilst studying (only 5 1/2 hrs away).  Shannon has wanted to be in veterinary work since she was about 8 years old and has always stuck with this. She is extremely excited and can't wait to start :-)

Anyways, back to the post :-)

Back at Christmas I made an Easel Card Gift box using a tutorial by Cristi of Paper Hoarder Disorder.  You can find her tutorial on You Tube HERE. (The finished box is 4" by 4" by 1" deep)

Now, last week, you may recall that I made a little set of  cards using the wonderful new collection at Polkadoodles called Winnie Sugar Sprinkles. Here's the set of 6 :-)  If you want to see the original post with more photo's of the set, click HERE.


My cards were 4" by 4", so I made up some envelopes for them using the We R Memory Keepers Envelope Punch Board.

So now I have a complete little set to make into a gift.


The envelope size is 4 1/8"  I decided to make a gift box using the tutorial above, but of course I had to change the sizes to fit my gift set :-)

My finished gift box is 4.75" square by 1.25" deep. I probably could have made it a little smaller, but the set sits nicely in there without getting squished :-)

So, if you would like to grab a coffee, now would be a good time :-)

Clicking on the photo's will make them bigger if you need to :-)

I used 110lb Card stock from Michaels to make up the Easel card gift box.

1. You will need to cut two pieces of card stock that are 6.5" by 4.75". Please NOTE, only one of the pieces needs tape applied to the 0.5" section.


2.  Join the two pieces together and you will have a piece that is 4.75" by 12.5" long.


3.  Score this piece, along the long edge, at 0.5", 1.75", 6.5" and 7.75".  I suggest you put the joined edge facing the right, as the 6.5" score will butt up against the join :-)


4.  After scoring fold along the score lines and attach tape to the small 0.5" piece at the end.


5.  This forms your box to put the drawer into.


6.  Now for the drawer.  You will need a piece of card stock that is 7 1/8" square.  You will score this on all 4 sides at 1.25".


7.  Once scored, I have cut along either side of the score lines up to the inner square.  This will help when putting the drawer together.  If you are unsure what I mean check in the video link above :-)  Add tape to all four corners and assemble.



8.  In order to strengthen the box.  Cut the following.


Secure the square to the inside bottom of your drawer, and then secure the side pieces to the inside sides LOL!  It really does make a difference and gives it that little extra strength.


9.  Next up is the Easel top for the box.  You will need a piece of card stock that is 9.5" by 4.75", you will score along the long edge at 2 3/8" and 4.75". 


Fold the score lines and this will be your easel.  


10.  Another piece that is 4.75" square to attach to your Easel.


Then attach this whole Easel section to the top of your box.  All you need to do now is decorate how you want :-)


If you would like to see how my box turned out - I'm afraid you will have to come back Friday.  This post was already photo heavy and hey, it's another post :-)

Hope this all makes sense, if at anytime your unsure Cristi's video is fab and the link is at the start of this post.  All I did was change the measurements :-)

Thanks for stopping by today.

Happy crafting.

19 comments:

  1. Big congratulations to Shannon!! How exciting to get into all three and have her pick of colleges!! Awesome tutorial my friend!! Those cards are so fabulous!! Have a great day!! Big hugs :)

    Lisa
    A Mermaid's Crafts

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congratulations Shannon! Thanks for the great tutorial Karon.
    Hugs,
    Em x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Firstly, congrats on your daughter's acceptance! It's such an exciting time in our children's lives (and a strange one for the parents when they leave!) Secondly, your cards and the box are amazing! Your work is always fabulous Karon.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congrats to Shannon. That is wonderful. Love your beautiful cards. Great box and a great tutorial.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Congrats to Shannon!!! What an awesome accomplishment and I can not wait to hear all the updates from her proud mamma :)
    Super FABULOUS card and box set Karon!!!!
    LOVE it!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Such an awesome tutorial Karon and congrats to Shannon!! I had wanted to be a vet but my mom and family discouraged me and I ended up an ENT Surgeon!! Hehe but no regrets!!
    Ps : I am having a celebration on my blog with prizes...would love to have you join in.Here is the link : 5 Million Page-views Celebration

    ReplyDelete
  7. Congrats Shannon!! Awesome job!!
    Adorable cards and love the super cute box.
    Have a blessed day,
    Migdalia
    Crafting With Creative M

    ReplyDelete
  8. So lovely to hear your daughter is on her way to fulfilling her dreams, congrats.
    What a great tutorial and cards TFS.
    Julie x

    ReplyDelete
  9. Those cards are so lovely, I just don't know how you could top them. So you decide to post a tutorial and make us wait for the finish!? I'm holding my breath until Friday ;) Great instructions that are easy to follow.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Super fab makes, Karon. You have been busy!:)
    x Asha

    ReplyDelete
  11. Brilliant idea...love this image and the creation looks awesome. Faby tutorial.. {aNNie}

    ReplyDelete
  12. Congratulations to Shannon and to your whole family! This is awesome news and you should be a proud mom sharing this joyous occasion! She will do amazing things I'm sure of it! :) Wonderful gift box! it's perfect for those cards and thanks for the tutorial too, so helpful Karon! Have a great day!

    Theresa
    Theresa’s Crafty Creations

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thank you so much for the wonderful tutorial. Mia - Polkadoodles DT

    ReplyDelete
  14. Congratulations to Shannon! What an accomplishment... I'm thrilled for her and the entire family. :o) And thank you for the always-spectacular tutorial! I appreciate that you makes things crystal clear in every tutorial. This type of project has long been on my wish list to make. Yours is stunning, just like everything you create. :o) Thank you for the inspiration, my friend.

    Hugs and blessings,
    Karen

    ReplyDelete
  15. Congrats to Shannon and to you guys, too. I am so happy she got in where she wanted to go. College is an exciting time.
    Thanks for sharing your fantastic cards and the box tutorial.
    Crafty hugs,
    Dawn
    DesignsByDragonfly.blogspot

    ReplyDelete
  16. Great tutorial! I've made these where you add in some chipboard (cardboard) to make them stronger. Yours looks like a easy and great way to make one! TFS

    ReplyDelete
  17. Congrats to your daughter….having a goal and working towards it, she should be very proud of herself :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. Great tutorial and huge congrats to your daughter to xx

    ReplyDelete

I would like to thank you for stopping by my blog today. All your comments are really appreciated. Happy crafting everyone and have a great day.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...